CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Sport Bikes

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sport Bikes

I know this is a chopper site and I have a chopper as well as a shovelhead. I learned to ride street on a sportbike and rode them for years, did trackdays and dedicated a lot of time and effort into the sport of roadracing. Anyway, I picked up a 2000 r1 this morning to add to tje garage and put into yhe mix and I just wondered how many other guys have or have had sportbikes? If you do.t like them thats cool but tell us why instead of telling us how you hate the jackass that ridea like an ass, its not thw bike but the dummy riding it most of the time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, im trying to add a pic but I just got a new phone and I cant figure out how.

Get Adobe Flash player

I love sport bikes, literally they are what riding is all about no matter what anyone says they are it!

I want a duck 1050, soon, someday but Ive fixed my Thruxton up enough to ride with sport bikers and its a blast for the mean time.
    In the past Ive owned a few but never really got into them until I moved to SoCal, as a kid I only liked vintage stuff, in which where my heart lies now but nothing is like jammin out on a crotch rocket - mostly on a track - nothing!

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a GSXR back in the mid 90's. Absolutely loved it. 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Just before I bought my Dyna (in November) I looked at Ducati Hypermotards and some KTM supermotos as well. I passed on them, but now a friend is thinking of buying a Hyper and I'm obsessed all over again.

I like the idea of the hypers because of the less aggressive riding position (I'm old and fat), whilst maintaining performance.

I love the R1's, and I always wanted an RC51.

I do, however, suffer from MMD (multiple motorcycle disorder).

billdozer

I just don't have the discipline. Yet.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree, Terry. This is my 3rd r1, I had a Triumph 675 that I rode on the track and it was an awesome bike. I lo e my Harleys but for performance theres nothing even close to sportbikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those ducs are cool, h8er. And I struggle, Bill, its way too easy to go way too fast.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by billdozer View Post
    I just don't have the discipline. Yet.
    Thats exactly why I sold mine. I was either gonna get killed or go to jail. Once I learned to change lanes on a wheelie, I felt like I had to wheelie everywhere.

I had 2 R6s, a CBR900RR, and an R1. Sold the R1 and bought the boxes of crap that became my first shovel. I still get to ride a friend's every once in a while to get my fix.

Get Adobe Flash player

I owned a 07 Kawi ZX6R and while it was quick and fun it just wasnt for me. I preffered my 07 Suzuki DRZ400SM so much more. I felt way more comfortable throwing it around in the canyons than the Kawi. I still want to pic up another motard.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've never owned one; but I rode a friends GXR a few times. WAAAAYYYYYY to fast and responsive for me. I would absolutely end up dead or in jail. I'd buy one if the price was right, actually a Buell (if you count those) is on my wish list. The first time I saw a crotch rocket with an heard an engine that growled, I was sold.

Get Adobe Flash player

learned to ride on a sportbike and have been for the last 6 years, kinda got tired of speeding everywhere (50mph feels like 25) and just riding retarded so started looking at this whole new cruiser scene... ive actually always hated harleys with a passion, mostly because of the weekend warriors going on their 30+ pack rides and hogging up the canyons and not letting you pass, while taking turns slower than cars would and labeling all cruiser riders as being such. aaaanyways, so ya, the harley bug bit me and i started becoming obsessed with older bikes, the post 80's era bikes never really appealed to me but god i loved the style of the 70's-80's chops. so i drooled over them for about a year and finally found a little panhead project. at this point i'm pretty much beyond obsessed with these things, WAY beyond. every free moment i have i problem solve or think of ways to make something work better on it.
    just being next to the bike (running or not) makes me feel like its a REAL piece of machinery (ya my RC is waaaay more powerful, has better brakes for days, and can handle the canyons effortlessly, but its just a miles apart from the panhead). sight, sound, smell, the pan just touches my soul... which i guess the main difference between the two is.

once i turn the pan into a more "reliable" daily rider, im just gonna retire the RC for the track. put so much money $6k+ in just parts) and work into it i cant imagine ever parting with it.
    Photobucket
    Last edited by vitza; 05-14-2011 at 3:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sportbikes are great in someone else' s hands,especially with the hot little honey bent over riding on the back of one, can follow one like that all day long.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a buddy selling his sport bike for 6500. It's a 2007 CBR1000RR. Insane amount of motor mods,done up as a street fighter,but pretty clean. Honestly,the worked motor belongs on a track,not on the street. I used to ride a GSXR1000,but I lost interest in strret bikes when everyone kept trying to race me.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have one and love it. It's not all that fast, tops out at about 135 but gets there pretty quick. On windy back roads the bike is fucking awesome.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those SV's are solid bikes, theres a ton of those things on the track. Good looking bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

i picked up my ktm superduke 990 about 2 months ago and have put just under 2000 miles on it.

its an animal in the corners, decently fast in the straights but can ride it allll day long

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a 98 honda CBR f3 when i was in highschool (back in 06-07) with a bunch of bolt ons.. that bike was disgustingly fast.. I almost killed myself on it countless amounts of times, I sold it before basic, then i bought my KTM 450SMR supermoto two years ago and I'm lookin to sell it to fund this choppa' project.... I'm sick of the voice in my head that makes me keep twisting the throttle so hard, and to zing around blind turns, when all I wana do is cruise and enjoy the ride... ENTER THE CHOPPA!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by map450 View Post
    i picked up my ktm superduke 990 about 2 months ago and have put just under 2000 miles on it.

its an animal in the corners, decently fast in the straights but can ride it allll day long
    A friend of mine just got one of those that was used as the "B" bike for a local dealership's race team. Definitely a solid piece of moto-boner inspiring machinery. Now, if I could only get the keys away from him for an hour or two...

db

My first bike was an R6. I loved that bike but was way too stupid on it. I would average 90mph on that thing, and was on one wheel more then I was on two. I got rid of it because I wrecked pretty bad and came to the conclusion that I didn't have the self control to ride it safely. Long story short I was coming around a blind sharp turn and the guy in front of me wiped out. To avoid hitting him I lost control and hit a gaurd rail head on at about 50-60mph. I got launched into a creek and woke up (Got knocked out when I hit the rail) laying on a bunch of rocks with my head under water. I broke a few teeth and was purple from head to toe but other then that was fine. It could have easily been a lot worse. Of coarse the mother fucker who caused the wreck had no insurance and since I was in my early 20's at the time my insurance was already ridiculous. I ended selling the bike for 2 grand and owed 6 on it. So I decided no more crotch rockets for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think a lot of people misunderstand what theyre buying when they purchase a sportbike. Sportbikes, real pure sportbikes, (r1, r6, 600rr, 1000rr, 1098, zx-10, etc...) are engineered, designed and built for racing on the racetrack. Unless you understand that and either have an outlet for that (trackday, club racing, etc..) or you're mature enough to handle the bike in everyday riding, you're going to act like an asshole on the bike in public. Its exactly like purchasing a nascar and trying to drive it to work everyday. Theres nothing on the street thats even close to being as fast as a bone stock sportbike, nothing. The bike I just bought is just like the first bike I ever owned. Now its 11 years old, 0-60 in 2.8 if you can keep it from dumping you on your ass. Stops on a dime and will out-corner even the most expensive car you can purchase. To me, sportbikes are safer than any other bike I can ride bc I learned to ride on them, I understand what they're capable of and I only use it when/if I need it (most of the time ). I can maneuver, stop, go quicker and better. Now, I love my shovel, I've poured over it for the last year and rebuilt everything on the motor except the bottom end with my own two hands and theres no better feeling than riding down the road on a bike that i've labored so hard on and know every nut and bolt on. Its just two different worlds, and Im in love with both of them.

Share This