CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 83' FXR fork swap?

I was wondering if there are any forks that are a direct swap for my 1983 FXRS, same stem length, bearings, etc? The ones on it are about 34" total length and I belive they are 35mm. Looking to lower it a little and get some forks with a little more meat. I also want a 21" up front so that will be about 1"-2" bigger overall than the 19" thats on it now.
    Or are the 35mm decent enough to keep, and should I just get some shorter tubes?

Get Adobe Flash player

Stem size is standard H-D, so that's easy, but the early FXR's have some goofy fork stops and a big ol' fork lock tab on the frame that hits on later model trees. You're going to have to hack that off to swap to anything newer that I know of. I have a 49mm fork off of a 2009 FXDB on my 82 FXR, and used to have a 39mm from an 88 on it. Honestly I think your best option would be a 39mm with Sportster trees (fork stops would be easier to fabricate).

Get Adobe Flash player

Any BT forks will fit. There is plenty of lowering tech on the interwebs. Make a longer spacer and shorten the springs. Google knows all.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks. I'd like some clarification though if you dont mind. Is it standard size for all HDs or just all big twins? If I go with 39mm and Sporty trees, can I just use a whole Sportster setup? The forks on my 02' are 4" shorter than the FXR, but like I said I'm going with a 21" up front that has at least +1" diameter over the 19".

Get Adobe Flash player

im guessing the sporty set up will work also

Get Adobe Flash player

Aside from the above mentioned clearance issues, yeah, anything H-D with a 1" stem fits. FXR fork swaps are not really much different than any other Harley. Figure out what you want (39mm, 41mm, 49mm) and then find a stock application that had the right length tubes. I was going to do a 41mm with a set of mid-glide trees from Custom Cycle Engineering until I came across my 49mm setup. Fat tubes but not a full-on Wide Glide- keeps the "FX" in your FXR. Sort of.
    FYI the FXLR had a 39mm narrow glide with a 21" wheel. Take a look at what it's stock length was, should give you a starting point.

Share This