Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halwade
    • Mar 2024

ChopCult Project: Halwade's Evo-Powered SpartanKiller

I promised myself I wouldn't start another project after the Street tracker this year, but after helping Duane Ballard massage his Pink Taco this summer, I caved to the urge.

The foundation of my next project will be this:

Spartan Frameworks' new 1020 steel frames are every bit as beautiful as George's 4130 chromoly creations, but at around $1200-$1500, nearly half the cost. If you're looking for a new rigid frame, you can hardly do better than this. Thanks to George for making this badass frame to begin with, and thanks again for giving it away at last month's Ground Zero Throwdown. Lisa Ballard was holding the winning ticket, and since her old man only allows Jap bikes in his garage, I got this baby for a song. Thanks, Lisa!
  • Halwade
    • Mar 2024

To keep this project light and lively, I've imposed a couple rules on myself this time around:

1) all new and used parts, custom fab services and related assistance on this project will be provided by ChopCult members, advertisers and supporters only. No outside help.

2) The wheels will be Sportster mags, preferably of the 9-spoke variety, and 19" front and rear.

3) The forks will be late model Sporty forks with alloy trees and 39mm legs. I used the same set-up on my Street tracker, and they look and perform great. Kutty Noteboom shortened the stanchions on my last set, and the are great. Why mess with a good thing?

4) The open primary will feature a single-row 530 o-ring chain. Narrow and aggressive.

5) Final drive will pass through FRC's LSD sprotor:

Flyrite is a regular on the ChopCult classifieds, and these brakes look great, so it's a no-brainer.

6) This bike will have electric start. I'm old, fat and I've got nothing to prove. End of story.

7) Jason at Sacred Steel has graciously volunteered to design and build a custom-fabbed copper gas tank to my loose visual and technical specifications. Copper! Are you shitting me? I am not. Jason's work was showcased on Chopper Wars last month, and he won the challenge hands down. There's no pressure to kill the competition on this project, however, so Jason has free reign to go nuts. Thanks and good luck, my friend.

What else?

Let this thread be a call to arms.... if you want to share in the fun and glory that is bike building on a budget, please say so.

When I took the frame off his wife's hands, Duane Ballard volunteered to help make the seat. I'm considering a rigidly mounted solo seat with mini pillion/gunfighter aspirations, and I know DB can help make it a reality.

I've hit up Trent Schara for a line on the forks and wheels, but if anyone on CC has some, please let me know. I'm a motivated buyer...

Thanks in advance to all the great people who are helping me get this project of the ground:

Kutty Noteboom at Hippy Killer Garage
    George Counes at Spartan
    Duane Ballard
    Jason Wilson at Sacred Steel

I couldn't have started this silly project without you...

Comment

• Jared
      • Aug 2009

Stoked to see the outcome. That spartan frame is gonna provide the perfect stance.

Comment

• Halwade
        • Mar 2024

30 minutes up and already the love comes flowing down…

Old-school badass, Sinners Nomad and FOCC (Friend of ChopCult) Irish Rich Ryan has graciously volunteered a Goodson breather for my project.

everyone is familiar with the clean look and simple mounting of these great hand-cast and hand-polished beauties...

If you're not, check them out here.

Now the only question is which carb to run:

A stock H-D CV, or the Mikuni HSR42 like I put on my first Evo BT four years ago.

As I recall, that bike ran great.

Mikuni it is.

Thanks again, Rich. I'm pulling the trigger on the Mikuni and will run your Goodson breather with pride!

Comment

• Boylecomm
          • Jun 2009

EVO Again? Man. At least try a cone shovel and drive train, electric start.
          Come on Bro be a Soul rider.

Comment

• DanK
            • Sep 2009

How wide will the 19 be in the rear? Will a 4.375" wide .125" thick aluminum ribbed ducktail work?

Comment

• Halwade
              • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Boylecomm
              EVO Again? Man. At least try a cone shovel and drive train, electric start.
              Come on Bro be a Soul rider.
              I hung out with the king of the soul riders last weekend... he cone shoveled and kickstarted himself into an asthmatic fit. Actually the late model Evo was Kutty's idea. Hippy Killer is providing the motor and tranny: a full polished rebuilt unit with none of the usual cool guy bells and whistles.

You know me, BCM... I'm a mangina.

Viva la Evo!

BTW, Blue Moon Customs has volunteered to paint The ChopCult Project.

We'll thrash out details many months from now, but here's a link to my new painter's site.

Comment

• Flatironmike
                • Jul 2009

WOT!? not a Sportster??? sweet mother of holy cranberry lactate frappe-titude. thank goodness

congrats. and i'll be the first to give you...... a hard time about it not being a kickstart...

hey, wait a minute. are YOU assembling it? or, looking for volunteers for that too?

look forward to progress pics.

Comment

• Halwade
                  • Mar 2024

Originally posted by DanK
                  How wide will the 19 be in the rear? Will a 4.375" wide .125" thick aluminum ribbed ducktail work?
                  The 100/90-19 rear Dunlop tire is approx. 4.5" wide from side knob to side knob... your fender sounds perfect?

When and how much?

Is the radius for your proposed fender acceptable for my wheel/tire combo?

The assembled diameter of my wheel/tire package is approx 27.1" tall.

Let me know, my man... your fender sounds perfect!

McGoo

Comment

• Halwade
                    • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Flatironmike
                    are YOU assembling it? or, looking for volunteers for that too?

look forward to progress pics.
                    Are you kidding--I'm doing the whole deal. Of course, lots of good folks are lending a hand, and this thread exists to give these fine people (all CC members) their props for the process.

Mike, there is one thing I will ask your help on, but let's wait till the frame's on the rolling stock...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Comment

• Flatironmike
                      • Jul 2009

deal!

happy to lend a fist

Comment

• DanK
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Halwade
                        The 100/90-19 rear Dunlop tire is approx. 4.5" wide from side knob to side knob... your fender sounds perfect?

When and how much?

Is the radius for your proposed fender acceptable for my wheel/tire combo?

The assembled diameter of my wheel/tire package is approx 27.1" tall.

Let me know, my man... your fender sounds perfect!

McGoo
                        That radius will be fine. I can get that shipped by Friday.

Comment

• TroubleLeather1
                          • Aug 2009

what's your idea on an oil tank?

Comment

• snoosky
                            • Aug 2009

Ive got a HI-4 ignition to donate. Wires have been cut down pretty short tho..

Comment

• TRUMPNUT
                              • Jul 2009

I'll come down and wire it for you !

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;