Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlover77
    • Mar 2010

Throttle sticking

So here is my issue. I have a new throttle sleeve and new throttle cables but the throttle is still sticking can the spring on the carb go bad? Do I need to just lube the carb? The cables are not kinked. Any help would be appreciated. This is on a 2000 1200 sporty with the stock dual cable setup.
    • Apr 2010

if you just put a new sleeve on make sure the bars are real clean before installing the new sleeve i have had sticky residue on the bars make the throttle stick, also on the throttle sleeve sometimes there will be a little extra material left on the are that holds the cable in place creating it to sick a little, that is the only 2 ways i have experienced it, lube the cable also

Comment

• xl1200s
      • Jan 2011

try it with the upper half of the control lose and holding the lower in place firmly by hand. twist and see. there is also an adjuster on the lower housing where the cables exit and it could be an issue.

in the process of elimination to see if the throttle was sticking on the carb... simply check the carb with the cables disconnected. you do not have to do this at the carb just grab the cable housing with it disconnected from the sleeve and give the cable a tug and release. you'll know if its the carb.

also check the alignment of the sleeve and make sure it turns freely without the cables.

anything from there you'll have to use some intuition.

Comment

• xllance
        • Apr 2024

I've had those cheapie throttle housings cause the cable end to catch on casting imperfections in the housing before. Take it apart and try to see if the cable end is binding in there. Maybe a little dremel or file work will cure it. And yes grease the bars under the sleeve and the area inside the housing.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;