CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Help with Vulcan 500 mods

HI, im new to the whole motorcycle thing and want to put some new bars on my vulcan 500. i would like some drag bars or some tracker bars from biltwell. i know that i would have to get risers to go with but i just dont know what will work, how big they neeed to be or really anythign about it. if anyone does know and has any incite that might help it would be appreciated.

hope to hear from some of you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Find 1" bars that you like and any risers made for 1" bars that you like. If you buy risers for a Harley you will have to get adapter studs to fit the holes in your tree. Like the ones on this page towards the bottom. http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...01591304.32528

Here is mine with 8" risers and drags.

Get Adobe Flash player

? Can you take a picture of your current bars? You can measure the outside diameter, they are typically 7/8" for most metrics, 1" for american typically. Those bars you want are not not to different so i dont think you would need need cables. Not sure if you need risers unless you hit the tank when you turn the bars

Get Adobe Flash player

Depends on what year the bike is. My 2003 had 1" bars and I'm not sure when they switched.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks, and i plan on getting some bars for sure, but i guess my next question would be...

do the risers have to be a certain height for clearance? or if i got say a 3.5 in riser would that work on my bike without it hitting the tank?

Get Adobe Flash player

here is my stock 09. i just wanna beef it up a bit, looks to pretty for me. id love to have a solo seat and a hopped and lowered back end on it as well. maybe even a bigger front tire. oh the dreams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my bike.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

you can also drill the triple tree out to 1/2" and use harley risers ans 1/2" bolts, no need for those expensive adapter studs.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks "chopper666" i plan on doing something like that here pretty soon, wanna do it the most cost efective way as i am not one to spend tons of money on something i can fab myself. as im sure im not the only one.

i also feel that drag bars might look funny on it without it being chopped a bit in the back.

with that being said.....does anyone know(before i hack into it) how easy it may be to chop the back fender and maybe lower the back end a bit and throw on a single seat?

just want more of the bobber loook, with the low back end and just a more rugged look....any ideas? or experience?

justin666

im not too experienced with the newer bikes, but my buddy dave has a vulcan800 and he cut down his fender some, he had the mono shock set up tho and made a plate to move the shock back to lower the rear end. you could strut yours to drop it down some, or buy some shorter shocks. i used a set of 10 inch iron head shocks on my kz650.

as far as the bars go, it all depends on where your fork stops, stop yer front end, so just see how close they get to the tank, then decide where the bars need to be to not hit, maybe you only need 1.5" risers and maybe you need 4" but its not hard to figure out. pull your bars of, turn your front end to one side as far as itll go, then get a straight piece of anything, pipe, wood, whatever, and then see where they need to be.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks man. i aprreciate it. ill give her a look tomorrow. wanna get started on that sucker.

justin666

based on yer picture, it looks like the top tree is well above the tank, so im guessing you wont need to have tall risers at all. unless you want em.

this thread might give you some ideas

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ghlight=vulcan
    Last edited by justin666; 04-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Share This