CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Trumpy valve adjustment question

Just wondering about the valve adjustment on my TR6 and got to thinking, if the aim of cold adjusting the valve clearance is to allow for expansion as the motor warms up, then why not just set them up with zero or very minimal clearance when the motor,valves, head, rockers, tappets, etc are hot? Do any other bikes adjust there clearances with a hot/warm motor?

Get Adobe Flash player

I wouldnt do a valve adjustment when hot/warm there to much chance to do damage to the valve tran and cams.

Get Adobe Flash player

i think because of the fact that cold is cold for the most part but the operating temp of an air cooled motor varies a good bit depending on air temp, riding style, traffic, etc. also, unless you can adjust all 4 valves within seconds of shutting it down, they will all be set differently from one to the next as the motor cools.

Get Adobe Flash player

When they design the opening ramp on the cam is when they decide how much valve clearance if any is ness. Hydrolic lifters have a steeper open ramp then a cold adjusted set . And your bike has valve clearance set cold they don't completely tighten up when it is warm .

You can really play with your tuning by running the intakes tighter and the ex looser or visa/virsa

Get Adobe Flash player

Mine are set at a lose 3 and 5 ...I am running cams but not huge cams ...I need to get in there and readjust and all that it is time ...Probably will set it 2 and 4 now that its broke in better....I'd stay with what is known in this area not a place to screw up...

Get Adobe Flash player

Triumph ran .010 on both in. and ex. on there "PIE" motors in the early fifties

Get Adobe Flash player

Is that the setting ? I was wondering what I would be seeing it at ..This 57 6T I am building is a "PIE" motor I knew it meant the cams were "ramped" or "high lift" but I hadnt checked to see what the settings and all were gonna be .....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KT View Post
    Is that the setting ? I was wondering what I would be seeing it at ..This 57 6T I am building is a "PIE" motor I knew it meant the cams were "ramped" or "high lift" but I hadnt checked to see what the settings and all were gonna be .....
    Yep all the info I have says .010 I do beleive I ran mine at .006 in and .008 ex. But how often do you know that the cams are stock for the "pie" motor

Get Adobe Flash player

yea no doubt I got mine in a box ... who knows what or where they came from being a 52 year old engine that was in pieces....

Share This