CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default What's your craigslist style?

Do you get every penny you can or if you got a deal do you give a deal?
    There has been a couple times, right now is one, that I give a deal but thought "shit, I could have made a killing!". I got an old Honda for $100, then titled it, another $42. Put it on CL for $300, small profit for me but still a deal for someone else. 20 minutes after posting (4 in the am) I get a buyer, then another, and another, and about 7 more. Almost all want to buy it sight unseen.

Get Adobe Flash player

cl is filled with spammers and flakers. until you see the cash in hand don't get too excited. I've sold a good amount of shit on cl and I've always tried to be fair in pricing while still making some amount of profit. most of the time that I'm selling my motivation isn't purely profit though. I'm usually just trying to make room for something else.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm the guy that gives deals out, and I also give asking price if it seems like a deal to me. I'd rather get something for a price I like than miss out because I'm too cheap.

SouthernSon

i dont do CL in my area anymore. To many ghetto asshats trying to rip you off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fast nickel beats a slow dime...

I hate being haggled with, so I don't really try to haggle with other people. I just won't even look at something if it is a price I don't wanna pay.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am all about the fast money when selling, but I have taken a beating ocasionaly. What really pisses me off is that I found a bike I wanted at a decent price locally and the douchebag never transferred the title into his name, but had signed the buyer section on the back. They tried to be all sly about it and not tell me until the last minute. They say "well cant you just get it titled?" MUTHAFUKKER, If you wanna skip taxes and flip a bike dont sign the title, leave it open.
    The DMV doesnt take kindly to tax skipping

Get Adobe Flash player

My experience on CL has been nothing but shit. A shit load of scammers, cheapskates and tire kickers. I always price things reasonably, people are just cheap.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have met some cool people the cl. you find the other hoarders in your area that way. I have driven to a coupla other states for some fun bikes and then when Im done with em, I put back on craigs. I dont make any real money off of em, just kind of enjoy the experience . For me a road trip for a buy I only have pictures of with a person I dont know on the side of the road Ive never traveled is a hell of alot more exiting than sitting in this fucking office hammering out reports no one ever reads.

Craigslist is to muck work!! I don't have time to answer the phone all day and answer questions that have the answers in the ad. I also have always put my stuff up at killer prices like a 1964 Buick Le sabre all original and clean. All it needed was heads 200.00 a piece. I had the car listed at 600.00 and shit dicks called me for a month trying to get it for 200.00 cuz it didn't run. I got to the point where I would just say "do you realize the car is a 1964 in mint condition" then just hang up on them. It's to much of a pain in the ass to deal with!!!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

i list my shit at way over what it's worth, and say i'm open to trades. usually i come out pretty good that way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't list your number. I always leave my e-mail anonymous when I list something. That way when the the ass-hat low-ballers email me, I blow them off. I only give my number after trading emails a couple times. And NEVER bring something to someone without getting the cash first. I've had friends get screwed by guys that sounded legit, then tried to haggle with them after they were delivering the goods.

All in all, CL is a good thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TkilledJ View Post
    My experience on CL has been nothing but shit. A shit load of scammers, cheapskates and tire kickers. I always price things reasonably, people are just cheap.
    yeah really...

i stopped using craigslist to sell because of fucking time burgling tire kickers.

i swear to god some guys show up with their chicks so they can act bad ass about buying a triumph. then they whistle my dick about "bobber this" and "always wanted a triumph..." that, like they're playing buzzword bingo and they have to drop all the hot shit they heard on TV.

last bike i sold, fucking 3 couples showed up to waste my time. one of the guys didn't realize you had to kick start the bike. then said to me, "i thought the bike has electronic ignition" because he's too fucking dumb to realize that "electric start" is something else entirely.

i'm going to be the new craigslist killer. but instead of killing hot sluts, i'll kill asshole guys.

Get Adobe Flash player

I list stuff at a set price and never negotiate. As stated, too many lowballers and tire kickers. I also never leave my phone number. I use email to weed them out. Still a pain in the ass since they use your email for spam crap.
    I do not wait around for people to show up. I give them a time. If they aren't there within 15 or so minutes after that, I go on with my day. Have wasted too much time waiting for people who never show. Even after a few emails/phone calls, they don't show.

Another thing that sucks with CL is all the flagging. If they don't like your stuff or the fact that you won't give it away, they will flag your post.

I have sold a few things on CL at fair value, but it is more hassle than it is usually worth.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ive had good luck with buying/selling/trading big stuff like cars and bikes. But the small stuff is too much of a hassle for what its worth.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default CL

I sell a lot of stuff on CL here in Austin and usually do ok. Of course there are the spammers who send you those emails that say "I am happy full price pay for item. It is very nice! You are send me email today."

But here's the thing that I hate most about CL. No matter what it is that you're selling (bike parts at least), there's always that 22 year old dude who wants to know, "Will this fit on my 2008 Nightster?"

That guy always calls or emails, and I want to hit him with a brick.

Get Adobe Flash player

I fucking hate craigslist. most of the people I have tried to deal with off of craigslist have been dirtbags. I list stuff way high just so people who seriously want what I have will call or email me then we can work out a deal. I got so sick of craigslist a few months ago trying to find a puppy for my kid and having everyone I talked to back out of the deal the day of when we were on our way to pick it up. I just now started looking around on there again.

Allen

Craigslist is filled with spammers and jokers. I've sold stuff before, and always get the "I'm interested in buying your .... (insert any motorcycle brand/model) ... for my son who's going away to college..." and if it's a motorcycle they ask what the square footage of "trunk space" is. I tell them .005 feet or something like that. Just a panty waist of time. If you really are desperate, try your luck but what a pain in the rear.

Then there's the one's that see my photos and bother to tell me that they "were seriously interested in my (whatever) but when they saw my (link) pictures (on flickr) they decided I was too much of a racist to deal with. Seriously? Could I be "too much" of one? If I'm "less" of one you could handle it then? And yeah, I think Obama is a horrible President and I'm not afraid to say it. I'm not selling you a magical Health Care Plan or a promise of Change. I'm selling a motorcycle.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Craigslist is filled with spammers and jokers. I've sold stuff before, and always get the "I'm interested in buying your .... (insert any motorcycle brand/model) ... for my son who's going away to college..." and if it's a motorcycle they ask what the square footage of "trunk space" is. I tell them .005 feet or something like that. Just a panty waist of time. If you really are desperate, try your luck but what a pain in the rear.

Then there's the one's that see my photos and bother to tell me that they "were seriously interested in my (whatever) but when they saw my (link) pictures (on flickr) they decided I was too much of a racist to deal with. Seriously? Could I be "too much" of one? If I'm "less" of one you could handle it then? And yeah, I think Obama is a horrible President and I'm not afraid to say it. I'm not selling you a magical Health Care Plan or a promise of Change. I'm selling a motorcycle.
    Fuck politicians all-together bro. They're just a bunch of rich puppets, with the highest bidder getting a chance to pull at the strings. What happened to the good old days when we exploited other countries, as opposed to our own people?! haha.

Share This