• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phreak
    • Mar 2011

Another Ironhead build by a newbie

hey alll
    I,m a newbie...
    I,m not much of a people person and tend to not play well with others..
    but i think i just might fit in around here.. after reading a few threads.. h aha

I got a 1975 ironhead
    this is my first street bike, and my first real build with a bike...
    I,m going to do my best to log as many pictures and comments as possible as i go.
    My plan was to do a quick rebuild and paint just to get on the road this spring
    but as i get more into this.. I think i,m going to do this over a year
    and take my time.. If I get enough time over the summer.. i just might have it out for End Aug..

If I had the chance to rethink the bike.. I would not have taken a 75/76 ironhead
    they are the bastard years as everyone seams to be saying.. and really hard to get straight answers and parts.
    Its has forward controls on it now.. but i hate them.. cheap and un-safe (these ones) and I want my footing under me
    So i was looking for mid controls.. ha ha.. not a chance.. i,ll keep searching but i think i,m prob going to have to fab
    something up myself.. because 75 was the first year the shift was on the left side.brake on right. they did a cross over for 75/76 years.

Any way

As I got it

Starting the Strip down front fender off and Half the fat boy tank off.

test fitting the seat. needs long springs and new mounts.. but it looks like it will work just great

this is just the Start..
    oil tank is next.. then i can get to the bolts for the rear fender.
    at the same time i,m going to be heading to P.A for a army amo box for the battery and electrical.. get them test fitted
    then the Front end .comes off (either going to put a springer front or powder coat this one...etc.

the wiring is a mess on this bike.. a real ****ing mess.. I dont know much about electrical but i guess its a good time to learn.. ha ha

As you can see my garage is a mess.. So i,m limited in space until i can clean it up.
    the Prob is.. i,m in the middle of home renos (building the wife a new Studio)
    that should be finished by Mid April So i can make room then.. to really get going on this.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Finally got the chrome off.. LOL
    Oil tank is out as well..

Went to P.A to get a Amo bix.. to find out it wont work for my needs.
    to long.. So i guess i,ll have to figure something else out for a new battery box and a way to hide the electrical
    I did bike up a bike Lift.. which will help me in the long run.. I wont have to lay ont he ground to work on it.. ha ha

got a really good look at the wiring and started to map it all out..
  • ercle69
    • Dec 2010

all that chrome hurts my eyes! not a bad start though...

Comment

• Phreak
      • Mar 2011

Ya all that chrome is gone..
      fenders are getting snad blasted and i,m selling off the tank
      same as the oil tank..
      i,m not a chrome type person at all..
      less bling and more balls is what i want...

Comment

• crazycracker
        • Nov 2010

off to a good start cant wait to see what u do for mids id also like to put my 75 to mids

Comment

• MegaDON666
          • Jul 2010

Check with Krik from Sporty Specialties, he might have the mids.

Comment

• Jimbo
            • Aug 2009

bastard years ??

dont think so those were 72 to early 73,,late 73 an up were normal

Comment

• chief
              • Nov 2010

finally.. the '79's are no longer bastards anymore!! lol..

those mids shouldn't be such a big problem..
              there are sets that mount to the original frame mounts but have different curves so they clear the cases. (early cases had a "dent" for the controls in it)

for the left side you can use the case mounted pegs as the case has the bolt to accommodate the peg..
              the right side has the good sprocket cover (newer type) to mount a peg to it..and brake MC..

Comment

• Jimbo
                • Aug 2009

Hi Chief

forgot about the 79s!!

Comment

• crazycracker
                  • Nov 2010

after looking closely at your pic i dont believe that is a 75 motor it looks to be a 77 or newer

Comment

• jrotten1369
                    • Dec 2009

You're off to a good start. Keep us posted.

Comment

• chief
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jimbo
                      forgot about the 79s!!
                      ain't all iron heads bastards?

Originally posted by crazycracker
                      after looking closely at your pic i dont believe that is a 75 motor it looks to be a 77 or newer
                      took a closer look too.. it's somewhat of a hybrid, you are right.
                      early 70's frame late 70's engine cases and 80's sprocket cover..

i wonder if it's matching numbers?

never the less.. it's going to be a sweet build!

Comment

• Phreak
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by crazycracker
                        thats what i have been thinking the last couple of days.. the more i do research the more i think this is not a 75/76 motor.. and the shift on the left.. does not match the cross over the 75 came with.
                        unless someone went ahead and put in a real shift..

anyone know how to tell or find out the year of the motor??
                        were did they stamp the numbers on the engines?
                        i just dont see any...

Comment

• crazycracker
                          • Nov 2010

yea that one is setup like my 80 for cam cover and sprocker cover also that one has the 77 or later primary cover so there is no cross over shaft on that onethe only part i see that is consistent of a 75/76 is the cable for the brake

Comment

• crazycracker
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Phreak
                            thats what i have been thinking the last couple of days.. the more i do research the more i think this is not a 75/76 motor.. and the shift on the left.. does not match the cross over the 75 came with.
                            unless someone went ahead and put in a real shift..

anyone know how to tell or find out the year of the motor??
                            were did they stamp the numbers on the engines?
                            i just dont see any...
                            for starters check the vin on the title and see if it matches the one on the motor and or frame i cant remember the site to decode the vin off hand ill try finding it for you

Comment

• Jimbo
                              • Aug 2009

vin numbers

70 to 80 sportys start with a 3A for a XLH or a 4A for a XLCH last number should be a H3 73 H4 for 74 etc etc up till 80 when it changed to a J Numbers from 81 up to when ever they start with CA for a XLH, XL CB for a XLS next letter K is the displacement K= 80' H=61" (sporty) next number is a 1 or a 2 that should be the model intro date, 1 would be the reguular intro date an a 2 would be a midyear intro, next would be 1 to 9, or an X thats a factory check number,next should be,,, B as in 1981,, C as in 1982 an D as in 1983 etc etc, then a Y as York ,,,where is was built,, the last six numbers are production numbers So your engine numbers should come out as model code letters the displacment code number, the year code letter, an a six digit sequential production number Hope i remember this all?? a sporty would go something like this 1 HD1 CA H 1 1 BY 000000 well something close to that,,, Hope this helps??? If you trust us post a pic of the vin on the engine so i can see it an tell you better but thats your choice

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;