Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desertdog1313
    • Mar 2019

Brace yourself

Back in the day the only fork brace ( tweak bar) for extended forks were the ones that clamped onto the fork tubes. Now they sell ones that clamp to the lower legs. Curious if anyone has had both and which one worked better.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by desertdog1313
    Back in the day the only fork brace ( tweak bar) for extended forks were the ones that clamped onto the fork tubes. Now they sell ones that clamp to the lower legs. Curious if anyone has had both and which one worked better.
    I'm curious how that works????? It sounds like what a fender does to me....... It's just a gimmick to take some new guys money.....

Comment

• shovel625
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by desertdog1313
      on my 33.4 front end i had and extra lower, that i hacked up and welded and made a pretty cool fork brace. works great, those ones that go on the lowers are too low and dont help the tubes from flexing, imho

Comment

• hillcat
        • Mar 2015

Apples and oranges.
        A tweak bar has to sit above the suspension travel and is only effective on a very long front end.
        A fork brace is stronger and for normal to mid length tubes.
        The problem is torsional twist.
        I have seen twin tweak bars on some crazy long front ends.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
          • Sep 2011

I had a fork brace on the lowers fn my 6 overs and it never wanted to stay properly mounted. I ended up taking it off.

@tattoo - generally they are much stiffer than your front fender. Some people will employ both fender and fork brace for extra stiffness. They can also give you strength if you're going the no front fender cool bike look.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
            @tattoo - generally they are much stiffer than your front fender. Some people will employ both fender and fork brace for extra stiffness. They can also give you strength if you're going the no front fender cool bike look.

How is it stronger than a fender?

You do know he is talking about putting a brace on the lower tubes.... Right???? Now your saying put a fork brace and a fender??? Really where do you have room for both as it sure can't go through the wheel..... Do you have a pic of what your suggesting???

Now don't post a pic of a fender with a tube clamp that's been done for years.........

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

I have a fender and a fork brace on my FXR.
              Plenty of other FXR's the same.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hillcat
                Yes sir a FXR, cafe bike, a sport bike yep that makes sense...... Now is it the one that goes over the fender??? Like a stacked piece of metal???

Also you know we are talking about an extended front end. So how much over is the front end on your FXR with the double brace??????????? That your referencing to???

Comment

• hillcat
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
                  Yes sir a FXR, cafe bike, a sport bike yep that makes sense...... Now is it the one that goes over the fender??? Like a stacked piece of metal???

Also you know we are talking about an extended front end. So how much over is the front end on your FXR with the double brace??????????? That your referencing to???
                  Whoa... easy... I said I have seen double tweak bars on crazy long front ends.
                  I don't know what you mean by stacked metal.
                  Mine clamps the top of the lower fork sliders.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

I don't know what you mean by stacked metal.
                    Mine clamps the top of the lower fork sliders.
                    Haven't you seen the brace that goes over the fender? It looks stacked to me... Well it looks silly but that doesn't matter...... I've also seen just the brace with no fender, The one I seen had a slot cross wise.....

Yes we were talking about braces on the lower legs on extended front ends, So you have a brace and a fender??? Not on the tubes like a tweak bar clamp that attach to the tubes..........

Can you post a pic????
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 04-16-2019, 5:47 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

I wasn't responding to this post..... ^^^^^^^

I was responding to this one.....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;