Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Best advice I can give ya…

Take care of your damn body. I’m no saint but I put effort into it. Nothing worse than the desire to build and enjoy life, but coming up short on the physical ability to do so. It starts going a lot quicker then we realize and it’s going to cause more regret and anguish than you can fathom. Eat decent and stay active. I remember taking care of a 55y/o male one time, he hit the call light, and I popped into the room a minute or so later. Thin man, COPD exacerbation, 25 year pack a day smoker. I got him up to walk to the bathroom, approximately 14 feet from the bed, after a few feet he’s sucking air and starts pissing all over himself. We sit back down and I help get him cleaned up. He looks at me and says “ I would trade everything I have in the world to go back and change what I’ve done to myself, I can’t even walk a few feet without feeling like I’m going to fucking die.” Frankly, I believed him. Take care of yourself, before it’s too late. That’s the best advice I can give ya.

What’s the best advice you can give?
  • Fetch
    • Sep 2017

Love God, Love your neighbor

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-04-2021, 8:34 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• rockman96
        • May 2018

It's all 20/20 looking back. Too bad we can't all see it in 20/20 looking forward, until it's too late.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Treat everyone the way you want to be treated, and watch out for the Yellow Snow

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
            What’s the best advice you can give?
            For they cannot rest until they do evil; they are robbed of sleep till they make someone stumble...
            Don't be that guy. ^

The only person you're really hurting is yourself, anyway.

Comment

• klondikekid64
              • Nov 2013

Brush your teeth everyday...you might live longer tan you think.

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
                • Dec 2013

Here's some advice- Don't take advice from people on the internet.

Of course, if you take my advice, then you're taking advice from someone on the internet. Ain't that ironic.

Shit, how many people in the medical professions would tell us not to ride motorcycles because they're too dangerous? I don't know how many doctors, nurses, and paramedics I've met who, when they find out I ride, take the opportunity to share every gory incident they've ever seen where a biker got mangled, paralyzed, left brain-dead, or flat out killed. Some, when they find out I ride, react like I just told them I like to club baby seals in my spare time, they're horrified, disgusted, and overflowing with judgement.

What do they call bikers? Organ donors. And that's the nice ones.

I gotta say, it's kinda funny, and ironic, to be giving, or getting advice on how to live longer on a chopper forum.

I say, do what you enjoy. What's the point of living a long life if you deny yourself the things you enjoy, only to die anyway. You can live the cleanest, healthiest life imaginable, and still get mangled in a car wreck, or any of the thousands of other ways there are to die. I'm sure a lot of healthy people are going to die unexpectedly this year, and a lot sooner than they expected.

I'm reminded of the several incidents I've seen where a person was out jogging, and got hit and killed by a car.

My advice- Live like you're gonna die some day, because you are. In fact, it might even be today.
                Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 10-07-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Use birth control becasue accidents cause people.
                  Fortune favors the prepared mind. Forethought is free and fun and profitable.
                  Have zero useless hobbies or interests.
                  Be curious about everything useful and about how the world works.
                  Ideology is for people too lazy to think and learn for themselves. I don't need to buy someone elses idea of what I should think.
                  Learn constantly because it's fun.
                  Live efficiently and you can have more toys with little stress.
                  Buy lots of cheap land and a cheap house, then renovate it all yourself. Be happily able to fix nearly everything in your home.
                  Have useful toy/tool overlaps which enhance your life (like workshops, get one early and if ya rent make all the gear efficiently mobile).
                  Buy your main four-wheeled vehicles for reliability and low operation and maintenance costs and keep them a very long time. (I buy used pickups with proven drivetrains and long production runs.) I plan for vehicles to last decades despite being cheap beaters. That helped pay off my houses early.
                  Teaching is immensely educational and huge fun. Every gearhead should have a taste training others.
                  Avoid losers even if they're kin or old friends. Scrape them off like shit from yer boot and don't acquire new ones.
                  Avoid stupid women even if they're hot. Hot wears off then you're left with the stupid.
                  Buy nothing to impress other people unless you plan selling it (or marketing yourself) to them. I don't buy shit I don't need to impress humans I don't like.

Debt is toxic. I'm 61 and only had two vehicle loans, one HD in '88 I still ride and one used 1997 F150 I cosigned for da late spouse around 2000 I still drive. Wrench and you'll have more toys then ya feel like putting tags on at once. I could buy a new dually for cash but that's because I would never buy a new dually for cash.

Implacable persistence is everything. You'll be doing something so make it count.

No one here gets out alive. High risk is fine because dying young beats old age but make the risk rewarding not retarded.

Prepare to be old and crippled because that comes sooner than ya think. I mean do it systematically and thoroughly. I would never buy a two-storey home because stairs guarantee falls and falls cripple old people. If you build or renovate incorporate handicap access because it's insanely convenient. Make friends with lifting equipment of all kinds early and get good. You get more stuff for less money and work. I'm fucked physically but have no problem moving heavy stuff because rigging is easy interesting fun. It lets ya do stuff that intimidates the less skilled. If I become fully gimped I'll be like the mechanic in The Road Warrior and hang from shit or crawl to get work done, and I'll fucking enjoy the challenge. I've met MANY vintage bike mechs who still love wrenching though too old to ride or ride much. It gets in yer blood.

max max, mad max 2, the road warrior, funny, mechanic, lol

Never go shopping hungry and never marry what you can pimp.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

through the years I have said it to myself,was gonna start a thread about it, but we all know, farmall says it best.
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Best line from farmall's exposition:

"I could buy a new dually for cash but that's because I would never buy a new dually for cash."

Listen up boys & girls because there is A LOT of wisdom in that one sentence.

Jim

Comment

• Hoghead
                        • Jun 2015

It's true- Farmall's got more wisdom than Budda. It's weird seeing the Mechanic in Mad Max mentioned -I was thinking earlier 'Farmall wouldn't quit, he'd end up like that guy in Mad Max.' Cooler than a Penguin's gonads, without trying.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Hoghead
                          It's true- Farmall's got more wisdom than Budda. It's weird seeing the Mechanic in Mad Max mentioned -I was thinking earlier 'Farmall wouldn't quit, he'd end up like that guy in Mad Max.' Cooler than a Penguin's gonads, without trying.
                          I could see it already…

Papagallo: How's the rig?
                          Zetta: [shouting to the mechanics] The rig! How is she?
                          Mechanic: [to his assistant] It's got a cracked timing case cover and it's broken a couple of teeth off the timing gear.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: [shouting to Zetta] It's got a cracked timing case cover, it's broken a couple of teeth off the timing gear...
                          Mechanic: The radiator's damaged to the core.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: ...the radiator's damaged to the core...
                          Mechanic: It's got a cracked water pump.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: ...it's got a cracked water pump...
                          Mechanic: A fractured injector line.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: ...it's got a fractured injector line!
                          Papagallo: Well, what does all that mean?
                          Zetta: [shouting to the mechanics] Yeah, okay, but what does that mean?
                          Mechanic's Assistant: [to the Mechanic] What does that mean?
                          Mechanic: Twenty-four hours.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: [to Papagallo] Twenty-four hours?
                          Papagallo: [after a pause] They've got twelve!
                          Zetta: [to the mechanics] You've got twelve!
                          Mechanic: Okay.
                          Mechanic's Assistant: [to Zetta] Okay!

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                            through the years I have said it to myself,was gonna start a thread about it, but we all know, farmall says it best.
                            I totally agree he sure does................... We both think alike he just says it much better than I...............

Comment

• rockman96
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                              I totally agree he sure does................... We both think alike he just says it much better than I...............
                              Except you aren't in the same league as farmall... Not many people are. He's one of the most logical people you'll run across, and he knows a LOT of shit.
                              Last edited by rockman96; 10-10-2021, 6:33 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;