Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squidy
    • Aug 2011

Custom Sissy Bar Build

Hey I'm looking to add 20in sissy bar to my 1996 Sportster and was looking for someone who would want to build it.

Right now I've chopped most of the rear fender and struts off the back. My goal is to just bolt this between the gap from the fender and the strut. This isn't something I need to be amazingly built. Just strong. Perfect if you have some spare parts you could use and make some quick money. It's going to be mainly used for strapping on bags for longer rides.

Hopefully someone out there just loves to build parts for bikes and wants to help out a fellow rider. I was looking to spend about $80 so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I've come up with for a design.
    Thanks!

• mlc216
    • Apr 2024

What size bar stock did you have in mind? I have 1/2" round and square stock in steel.

I noticed you have 1/4" on the thickness at the bottom? If that's the case then you won't have clearance for the bar to extend down with the mounting brackets...

Comment

• Squidy
      • Aug 2011

Yea I wasn't too sure about the thickness size of bar that would be used. 1/2" thickness for the mounting brackets would work too. I might just have the bend the fender in a little bit, but it would probably make for a much tighter fit.

The rounded bar is what I was wanting to use.

Comment

• mlc216
        • Apr 2024

I'll see what I can do

Comment

• EasyRider84
          • Jul 2011

I'd be interested in one of these too.

Comment

• MagnusB
            • Nov 2011

Seems like it is a market for these... I am also interested.

Comment

• mlc216
              • Apr 2024

Wow, had no idea there would be such a calling for these. I might have to go get some more material!

Ok, here's the deal: $80 shipped gets you the sissy bar as drawn above in mild steel

I can do stainless if you'd prefer, but the material costs go up, so I'm thinking about ~$110-120 for stainless? But I'll have to check into that.

I can do different lengths, shapes, bends, or whatever you want. Just let me know and I'll draw up a sample for you.

Paypal $80 as a gift or add 3% to cover the fees to [email protected] and I'll get started right away. If you send as a gift, you can email me your mailing address separately.

Here's one I just did for my bike, still needs some cleaning up and polishing:

Comment

• reeferman
                • Feb 2011

i cant see the drawing....

Comment

• EasyRider84
                  • Jul 2011

I'm definitely in at some point. Just have to figure out the design for mounting. I need to cut my fender and fender struts to see which way I'm gonna go. This is good shit!

Comment

• SportsterBob
                    • Aug 2009

I have build one myself. looks kinda what you want.
                    I've combined the chick stick with the fender-holder.

Comment

• junkchopper
                      • Sep 2010

Have any close-ups of the mounting/welding?

Thanks!

Comment

• Squidy
                        • Aug 2011

Mic216,

Here's a more detailed drawing for the bracket. As long as the bar runs along the bottom of the bracket, it will sit just underneath the fender strut. I will drill a second hole and I might have to grind down the edge of the strut a little bit but I want a snug fit, so I can adjust accordingly.

And for the angle of the bend from the bracket, I leave that up to your discretion. Obviously the angle of my fender cut would not work good for the angle of the bar too. I'm not sure if there is an average, or standard angle for a sissy bar.

sissy_bar_bracket

photo-2

Comment

• mlc216
                          • Apr 2024

Thanks Squidy, that helps knock out some details for sure. I don't know about a standard angle, but there is probably a standard range of angles haha. To be honest with you, I'll probably import your drawing into cad and pull the angle off the original drawing and see how that looks to start with.

Comment

• BobberFOD
                            • Aug 2011

built mine myself. 10 bucks for a 10 foot section of 1/2" round bar, a 17 dollar bottle torch, and a little elbow grease. not to pull money out of people's pockets or anything but it's worth giving it a try yourself. if it doesn't work out you're down less than 30 bucks.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• ajInMs
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by mlc216
                              Thanks Squidy, that helps knock out some details for sure. I don't know about a standard angle, but there is probably a standard range of angles haha. To be honest with you, I'll probably import your drawing into cad and pull the angle off the original drawing and see how that looks to start with.
                              Mike, I got a bike you can practice on and perfect it. Then you know it will be exactly right before you ship it to him. Just throwin' that out there buddy. He can even see a picture and choose an angle.

You can practice on coil relocation brackets to. There is probably a market for those as well.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;