Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibuiltmine
    • Jun 2010

Help with Harley names. Stripped down electraglide ultra classic

If someone took an electra glide ultra classic and stripped most of the body work off of It, what would it be considered? I am wondering if the it's an FLHTCUI so is tht a softtail frame? Would something like a road glide or a street glide be a more stripped down version of this bike? I am unfamiliar with Harley. I know that with yamaha, their stratoliner is a full shielded bagged version of the road liner. Same bike underneathe, just on has more stuff bolted to it.
    My cousin bought a group of bikes and I'm trying to fugu out if I want this one or not.
    Thanks for your help!
  • stopchopandroll
    • Jan 2011

A fat stripper?

Comment

• ibuiltmine
      • Jun 2010

I dint think so, but just for my enjoyment I googled that anyway!

Comment

• wahunterinrok
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ibuiltmine
        I dint think so, but just for my enjoyment I googled that anyway!
        Dang, I already responded on Facebook now here too? LMAO

Comment

• ibuiltmine
          • Jun 2010

The two best places to learn! Thanks man!

Comment

• ibuiltmine
            • Jun 2010

I can not find a picture of a late model Electra glide with the saddle bags removed. Are they a more integral part of the structure then I am thinking? I find pics of them stripped down, and pretty much they are the same thing but with the trunk bag removed.

Comment

• bobscogin
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ibuiltmine
              I can not find a picture of a late model Electra glide with the saddle .
              Here ya' go. My stripped 2000 Road King.
              Attached Files

Comment

• superflysnow
                • Aug 2009

an ultra/electraetc... is a swingarm frame, a softtail is a totally different frame.

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
                  • Dec 2009

You basically wind up with a fat/long Dyna. It will have 2 shocks on the swing arm. Although the touring frame has a longer (forward, or however you want to describe it) neck area for fairing clearance, and is a little longer in the frame area below the seat where the electrics and such are, over the Dyna. Still will be a "unit" style motor if you want to call it that, where the trans actually bolts directly to the motor, and your oil pan is built into the trans case at the bottom. Hope that helps man.

(FLHT indicates its a big twin touring frame, CU means Ultra Classic trim, and the I means it's fuel injected).
                  Last edited by SMChewy; 09-17-2011, 2:14 PM.

Comment

• Saltytonk
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MileHighMurdercycle
                    You basically wind up with a fat/long Dyna. It will have 2 shocks on the swing arm. Although the touring frame has a longer (forward, or however you want to describe it) neck area for fairing clearance, and is a little longer in the frame area below the seat where the electrics and such are, over the Dyna. Still will be a "unit" style motor if you want to call it that, where the trans actually bolts directly to the motor, and your oil pan is built into the trans case at the bottom. Hope that helps man.

(FLHT indicates its a big twin touring frame, CU means Ultra Classic trim, and the I means it's fuel injected).
                    And to take it one step further .....if I'm not mistaken the F denotes big twin engine. And I believe the L has something to do with the fork tube dia.

Comment

• bobscogin
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Saltytonk
                      And to take it one step further .....if I'm not mistaken the F denotes big twin engine. And I believe the L has something to do with the fork tube dia.
                      FL is Big Twin, similar to the designation for small twins which is XL. Nothing to do with fork tube diameter.

Bob

Comment

• Saltytonk
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bobscogin
                        FL is Big Twin, similar to the designation for small twins which is XL. Nothing to do with fork tube diameter.

Bob
                        Then explain FXR. FXST. FXDWG that are all big twin engines. I believe the Sportster(XL) is its own desgination.

Comment

• Saltytonk
                          • Mar 2011

I know bikes with FX have a narrow glide front end. FL have wide.

Comment

• bobscogin
                            • Jun 2011

Then explain FXR. FXST. FXDWG that are all big twin engines. I believe the Sportster(XL) is its own desgination.
                            I didn't say that all Big Twins were FL. I was saying that when the F is used with L, the L doesn't designate fork tube diameter. There was EL, FL, and when the engine had optional high compression, an H was added, like FLH. That was the genesis of Big Twin designations and when the Superglide came along, we got FX and all it's variations, and then the rubber mount FLT and it's variations. There were EL's and FL's before they even had Glide forks, so what would the L designate about a springer fork?

Bob

Comment

• bobscogin
                              • Jun 2011

I know bikes with FX have a narrow glide front end. FL have wide.
                              There were FX series Big Twins made with Wide Glides, such as the FXDWG.

Bob

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;