What to do with an 86 FXR that *may* have a tweaked frame? Share your FXR customs!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimberwolfFXDL
    • Nov 2013

What to do with an 86 FXR that *may* have a tweaked frame? Share your FXR customs!

I'm inheriting a pretty nice 86 Low Rider. Built evo motor in it that might need a once over, but ran great when it was parked nearly 5 years ago. It's been in a garage on a lift ever since.

My dad was in an accident with it about 10 years ago. Lady pulled out in front of him, he laid it down and slid until hitting her car which brought it upright again against her fender.

The bike wasn't totaled or salvaged or anything, but all the tins were replaced as was the primary cover which had a nice hole in it. Before it got put up (when he bought an '04 fat boy), he commented on occasion that it just didn't feel right. If I had to guess, the swingarm or frame may be tweaked a bit.

The buildup is a bit dated looking. Billet wheels, pull back T bars, muraled tank and fenders, etc.

What are the options for an FXR style drivetrain? Sourcing a straight OEM frame is getting pretty ridiculous. I've looked at a couple aftermarket options, but they aren't great either, and I'm not 100% sold on keeping it as a swingarm bike.

Thinking maybe a hard tail? But are there many options for the fxr transmission/engine combo? I keep seeing generic evo frames, and then fxr stuff is a totally separate category...

Anyone have pics of FXR builds they could share for some inspiration?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TimberwolfFXDL; 09-29-2014, 4:57 AM.
  • NeoDutch
    • Aug 2009

"Didn't feel right"? Is that a professional assessment? Maybe you should do some thorough diagnostics first.

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Could be as simple as bad rubber mounts.
      All it takes is some string and a straightedge to look for bent components. Lasers if you wanna get fancy.

As for swapping the drivetrain over to a non-rubbermount frame.
      Major difference is in that transmission case.
      Looks like it's got the early style clutch arm cover too. That's the good one for a foot clutch...
      Could swap the trans guts into a swing arm/softail/rigid style five speed case.
      Oil tank, gas tank and primary would all have to be changed/moddded too

I'd go for a swing arm frame, trade the trans for a built four speed, open primary and lighter wheels.
      You can probably get good trades and/or money for the painted sheet metal and those wheels

Comment

• ScottyR
        • Jun 2010

Keep it and run it as an FXR. It might be dated but thats almost perfect the way it sits. Clean it up a bit and have fun with it.

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by NeoDutch
          "Didn't feel right"? Is that a professional assessment? Maybe you should do some thorough diagnostics first.
          Professional from a seat-of-the-pants type diagnosis, yeah lol

I don't know of anyone around here who has a frame rack for bikes that can check it out. We'll see how it goes. I didn't get it home yesterday like I planned. Weather was unseasonably nice so I spent the day putting miles on my bike instead. Looks like Tuesday night.

He also seems to think after it was dyno'd it hasn't run the same since. I wasn't there, but he said the guys really over revved it (in his opinion) etc. I'm guessing they floated the valves. Plan is to start with some engine diagnostics I think. Compression and leak down test, then pull the motor and pop the heads. At that point I'll check out the frame and swingarm or find someone else who can.

If we do end up needing to either straighten or swap out the frame, then I'll be looking for sources. I'd kinda like to see it go down the Zero-inspred path...

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

Japanese style bikes look great parked or with a Japanese size rider on them. Ergonomically for the average American though… not so pretty or comfortable.
            Zero and Brat Style included.
            Fuck just riding it like it is, make it your own, fucking Chop it.

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sky
              Japanese style bikes look great parked or with a Japanese size rider on them. Ergonomically for the average American though… not so pretty or comfortable.
              Zero and Brat Style included.
              Fuck just riding it like it is, make it your own, fucking Chop it.
              this may be lucky for me...I'm only 5'7"

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

FXR stuff sells well. If it's not your particular cup of tea I'd strip the engine and anything else you like then sell the titled frame on Ebay starting with a stupidly high reserve.

Someone out there has wadded their FXR or wants to build one custom from the frame up. Mo' Dead Presidents for OP.

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
                  • Nov 2013

brought it home tonight. It's going to be a bit of work to bring it back around. Lots of leaks, a few missing bolts, some oddities and quirks (apparently it likes to vomit oil out of the air cleaner when you first start it).

First thing will be to strip it down and go over everything. I promised I would never sell it... so it's going to either be a transformation or a restoration to ridable, reliable condition.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;