Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drivermark
    • May 2015

Home/Shop built tools

Went looking for a thread for home or shop built tools for working on chops or just bikes in general but couldn't find one so I figured I'd start one.
    If you've built anything that you use in you shop post it up maybe it'll help someone else down the road. I'll start it off with a couple of gizmos I threw together while working on the 4 spd in my old Softy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0008.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1346884[ATTACH]104753[/ATTACH]IG]104751[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drivermark; 08-13-2021, 2:21 PM. Reason: spelling
  • Smiley
    • Jun 2012

Tube bender are good DIY projects.Click image for larger version

Name:	cbh-jd2-m3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	1319485

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

a short lived...

2010 Thread: Homemade tools

"POST YOUR HOMEMADE TOOLS!

My Tubing bender
      1" RIGID conduit cut in half welded to a piece of 2x2 i originally used this in a reciever hitch before i had a garage.."
      POST YOUR HOMEMADE TOOLS! My Tubing bender 1" RIGID conduit cut in half welded to a piece of 2x2 i originally used this in a reciever hitch before i had a garage
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Smiley
        Tube bender are good DIY projects.[ATTACH=CONFIG]104754[/ATTACH]
        more from Gary here:

Tools and Equipment
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Handy Motorcycle Tools

"This is a collection of tools that make working on the VTX (and other motorcycles) a little easier.
          Many thanks go out to all those who were innovative enough to have conceived these ideas and then had the decency to offer them up so others can benefit from them.
          If you have any homemade tools you think are worthy of adding, please send me an email as I’d be interested in adding them here and, as always, give credit where it’s due. If there is no credit given for an item then it’s one of my own."
          This is a collection of tools that make working on motorcycles a little easier. Thanks to those who were innovative enough to have conceived these ideas.

Comment

• drivermark
            • May 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0010.jpg
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	1319496Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0011.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1319497Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	1319498Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0013.jpg
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1319499Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	1319500

Some more things I've put together over the last few years.

a plate to mount the trans. for mounting in a vice to torque down or break loose nuts, bolts or whatever. A tool for installing neck bearing races. A clutch hub puller for my Sportster, A clutch hub puller for late 84-89 4 speeds. A tool for removing bearing races.

Comment

• drivermark
              • May 2015

And last but not least is my CBH Bendomatic complete with shop built 4.5 CLR dieClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0015.jpg
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	1319501

Here's the thread I started of the bender build on "The Chopper Compendium"

There are a couple of other threads of CBH benders and at least 1 JD2 build I believe
              Last edited by drivermark; 08-24-2021, 1:06 PM.

Comment

• Hubbard
                • Dec 2010

Excellent, your fork adjuster is marvelous! If you would like a more robust and longlived fork cup installer, try acme threaded rod and nuts. You will never wear it out. Did you make the tubing bender or is it a JB squared?

Comment

• Smiley
                  • Jun 2012

The old Bend-O-Matic has been downloaded 27347 times from all around the world. I think Hose-Dragger came up with the original idea but my memory isn't so good anymore.

Comment

• drivermark
                    • May 2015

Well whoever came up with the idea, it was a good one, I don't think I have more than about $30 into the bender itself. The 2x1/2 bar I got from the scrap yard for 50 cents a pound. The most expensive parts were the bolts that hold it all together.
                    The die on the other hand cost about$35 or $40 for the material and $100 to get it machined (my little 10inch Logan lathe was a little small to spin that big chunk around to make the die out of it).
                    My neighbor introduced me to a shop teacher at the local community college who made the die for me.
                    Still I ended up with a bender and die for about $100 less than just a JD2 bender itself.
                    So thank you for that.

Comment

• drivermark
                      • May 2015

more shop made stuff

A couple more items put together while working on the 4 spd for my Softail, first a tool to pull the main drive gear bearingClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0038.jpg
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	1319583
                      then a jury rigged ultrasonic cleaner made from a Rubbermaid plastic tub and a vibrator/massager from an old adjustable bed.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.jpg
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	1319584
                      set it all on a little metal rack and held together with a cam lock strap

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

There is also a thread that I started several years ago about tools.......... But anyways here is a motor stand I built years ago to test run new motors......... I haven't used it in MANY years........
                        Attached Files

Comment

• drivermark
                          • May 2015

That piece of plate that looks like aluminum with the what looks like a starter motor, is that a gizmo to bypass having to have a transmission to be able to start the test motor? If so how did that work? the whole contraption looks like a damn good idea.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by drivermark
                            That piece of plate that looks like aluminum with the what looks like a starter motor, is that a gizmo to bypass having to have a transmission to be able to start the test motor? If so how did that work? the whole contraption looks like a damn good idea.
                            Yes sir that's exactly what it is. It worked great. You use a car starter so once it cranks the starter gear disengages...Like all starters do..... Plus it's much stronger than a bike starter. It was built for high compression motors but it will work on any motor. I also have one for a Sportster.....
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Now this is another damn handy home made gadget.............
                              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;