• Show
Clear All
  • snakeman40
    • Jul 2012

Dude that is SICK!...I want one! lol

Comment

• Jetblack
      • Apr 2024

I'm flattered but it hasn't been a difficult or complicated build. The fork seals have been the only real pain in the ass...and only because the shit inside wanted to spin, still no big deal though.

From measurements taken and researched, pretty much everything became a direct bolt on; except for a few fender mounting holes. So it's really been just a strip down, rebuild, paint/polish, drill a couple holes, and relocate a few things...with all the parts in hand it could be done in less than 3 days at very a relaxed beer sipping pace...sad really how little it's taken, but I'm happy with it for what it's meant to be; just a daily rider kick around heap; that will continue to get little mods over the course of riding, and my needs...

Thanks to everyone that appreciates it; I have odd design tastes and I can't in good conscience; make it out to be more than it really is.

I'll be happy to make a parts list, and put measurements up; for anyone that wishes to do the same thing.

I'm about to go out and do more on it over night with a few beers, as I'm about ready to roll this flea between my fingers and call it done.

Comment

• ChopperTy
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by TraumaJunkie
        The use of the spring on the forks is crafty. Hope you don't mind but I'll probably be stealing that idea. Lol.

Bike looks good though. Can't wait to see more.

Tapatalk user, Sons of Anarchy- iPhone Chapter.
        pretty cool. i did this back in 06 and had it posted up a few people took notice ,i guess thats cool
        Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Phantom309
          • Sep 2012

Springs on forks

LOL! I guess this proves the point that original ideas are hard to come by. I built a Honda 750 last year and did this, because my fork tubes were a bit pitted between the trees. I thought I was a genius! Someone always beats you to it, it seems!

Comment

• Jetblack
            • Apr 2024

So, I've been burned out on my build for a few weeks; so I figured maybe buying a new seat might pull me out of my slump. Here's what I bought and what I had...I am so used to looking at the old one sitting on there; that I haven't gotten used to seeing the new one on it, so it is looking really fucking weird in the mock up; it's like seeing someone you know that wears glasses without them on, no bad but bizarre...thoughts would be appreciated.

If I go with the new seat; I'm molding the tank and rear fender to the frame; to smooth the lines, I don't like gaps, or abrupt edges around the tank/seat area.

Comment

• truerobotech
              • Aug 2011

Really dig the new over the old, at least style wise. The pics make the original seem HUGE in comparison to the rest of the bike. I keep your thread as a fav, I have a 750 and I keep eyeing that card trick to do the rims. Cant believe I never saw that done before.

Comment

• Jetblack
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by truerobotech
                Really dig the new over the old, at least style wise. The pics make the original seem HUGE in comparison to the rest of the bike. I keep your thread as a fav, I have a 750 and I keep eyeing that card trick to do the rims. Cant believe I never saw that done before.
                I've been staring at it from angles; taking a break staring at it some more, and starting to get used to it, the more I look at it the more I like it. It's odd how something looks strange, just out of being used to seeing it so much one way then seeing it another way.

I took a look at your bike; and the seat and fender will fit just fine, for some reason your frame builder didn't weld in a upper or lower brace in the rear...I'd take him the seat and the fender and tell him, you need a lower brace to combat frame torsion; and an upper brace/bracket to make the fender and seat fit seamlessly, with no gap between the seat and rear fender at the bottom. Take it back like in the mockup picture; tires and all so the lack of a tire doesn't make the fender tire combo off, and wonky as fuck looking, when a upper brace/bracket goes in.

Since there isn't an upper bracket or brace there; I could see how that would leave you scratching your head where to go with it. If you want that fender and seat there's always a way; no need to compromise, if anyone tells you no, or it can't be done...keep looking or research and diy, ya know?

Oh, I forgot to comment; HUGE is right, I think the oddest thing is how the black seat makes the Wabi look small; and the golden shower seat makes it look larger...totally fucks with perspective between the two.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2012, 8:18 PM.

Comment

• snakeman40
                  • Jul 2012

Def love the new seat! makes the flow of the bike alot smoother.....Great Job!

Comment

• Jetblack
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by snakeman40
                    Def love the new seat! makes the flow of the bike alot smoother.....Great Job!
                    Thanks Snakeman; I am going to be glassing the whole area from the tank to the rear fender, then molding everything in to smooth things out; and still be removeable for battery etc.

Comment

• Jetblack
                      • Apr 2024

Alrighty, it's update time again...

Finally got the last piece of electrical in so I can knock out the wiring ;D

Valve stem caps; stock are pretty ugly so customize? Of course...

Binkers S.C. doesn't require them; but other states do so the best way to avoid hassle when touring, is to put some on...

Remember the last piece of electrical I mentioned? You just saw it; the Indian guide light.

It works too...

You know the headlight, well can't recall if I mentioned it...but I had two. In earlier pictures, the light was just in a mock up; until I figured out what I wanted to do. So here they are in final form.

I suppose you noticed the bracket for the bottom light; it is where my touring crap is going to be mounted: Tent etc., when not touring a tool carrier will be mounted there.

And finally, a step back to take it all in.

Next phaze will be working on the under seat electrical, relays and battery shit.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2012, 4:02 AM.

Comment

• snakeman40
                        • Jul 2012

Dude,....that is some sick shit! Love the Indian head! Double head lights are cool, I wonder what an tear drop light would look like? especially with the Indian light?...but no matter, I'm lookin for a 454 myself and build for the wife.....or maybe me.....hehe
                        I've since repainted the Nomad....it's burnt orange w/flake...pics soon to come.
                        Last edited by snakeman40; 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Jetblack
                          • Apr 2024

Sounds good looking forward to seeing it...I doubt you'll be disappointed with the 454 if you get one. If you do get one and have any questions; I've got your back, there's very very little I don't know about it inside and out off the top of my head.

The triangle beam crossed my mind; when kicking around the light but, I ran across these Yankee tv's that haven't been made in 20ish years?...brand new in the box, and couldn't pass them up. The orange ring just matched up too well in the scheme of things I still have to adjust them to the correct angles.

I should have more posted here over the weekend; my health has been in the toilet lately.

Comment

• Jetblack
                            • Apr 2024

Gauging Gas...

For those that like to know what is going on with their bikes; such as coolant temp, oil temp etc. probably the most desired gauge not present on many bikes is the fuel gauge...

There are some ways to get around not having one; some as simple as keeping an eye on the mileage, and some a bit more complex such as welding tank bungs with a tube between them. To the simplest waiting until you get a sputter, and then using the reserve tank to get to the nearest gas station.

So; the point of this update; is yet another option, since my welding on thin metal is lacking and kinda shitty; not to mention the possibility of some ass messing with your site gauge, if they wanted too. I sat down and thought about it, walked around thought about it, thought about it while I was working on other things. Then I recalled a Sears tractor; I used for chores when I was younger...it had a fuel gauge in the gas cap, with a cork, that slid up and down a narrow strip of metal, showing the level of gas on needle based on the cork position.

When I was little I found things like this awesome; and wondered how everything worked, I got into a lot of trouble taking things apart. So I learned to take things apart, figure it out then put them back together and leave no trace.

I figured the ol sliding cork technology must still be around; so I started looking. I found plenty of gas caps; like the one I remembered. I also found one specifically designed for motorcycles...of course those are an option if you feel like spending 100 bucks or more on a gas cap. I couldn't justify that; so I kept looking. What I found belongs to the 4x4 world; specifically a Honda four wheeler. I picked it up for 8 bucks buy it now, w/free shipping.

I made a 1inch diameter hole in the tank

Here's the gauge; I trimmed it down flattened and retwisted the spline to go from F to E with the new height. If anyone else decides to do this mod; you don't have to shorten the gauge like I did; just drill the hole higher up on the tank. I wanted my gauge to hit empty at the same height as my reserve tank needs to be switched; so I re-fabricated mine shorter.

In place with the bracket ready to be fastened down to complete the seal.

From a distance

More updates coming soon..
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2012, 2:58 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

• Ootnboot
                              • Jun 2012

Thumbs up on the fuel gauge, seems much more practical than the sight tube style

Comment

• Jetblack
                                • Apr 2024

Thanks man, I'm still bouncing around how to fasten it down and still be able to service it if required; without any leaks...the less holes the better; and currently that just numbers one, it's O-ringed so when the brace gets fastened down, that part should be good. I'll probably look at a solution in the area of marine application. Since sealing against leaks is the main issue in boating. Certainly a risk figuring it out the hard way by first drilling a hole in the tank

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;