• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Revelator
    • Aug 2009

panhead timer grief

The factory ignition timer on my panhead keeps moving
    to full Retard under acceleration. I jerry rigged it with a couple of
    mini bungy cords because bike was running like crap.

any you guys ever have this problem? I'm thinking maybe adding a 2nd
    wave washer spring underneath might add more spring pressure and keep
    the housing from rotating so easily. the bungy cord looks like ass, so I'm hoping
    there is a better solution lol
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Post a pic. I use a simple spring from my housing to a screw in the regulator boss.
    Works fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4835.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1314144
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 11-11-2019, 8:56 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Have you tried bending the wave spring to tighten it up????????????

Comment

• Revelator
        • Aug 2009

Tattooo no, I did not try bending the spring, I figured that the spring is hardened
        like most springs, which usually makes them brittle. I guess I can try
        and bend it cautiously and see if it wants to let me reshape it, without cracking

I am not running the old left side twist grip/cable set up, so it has the
        hand lever for manually adjusting the timing. and I did try
        a spring going to the relay boss mounting holes but the spring pulled it
        to full advance, so the problem is the timer plate just moves too easily & needs
        more pressure against the housing. the spring is probably shot, I'm thinking.
        If replacements are available, I may try tattooo's idea and if the spring breaks,
        buy a new one. maybe the spring is a shitty taiwan piece.

Comment

• 47str8leg
          • Sep 2014

The spring is supposed to bring it to full advance. You unhook the spring and retard it back for kickstarting the bike. You said the problem was that it was retarding while riding the bike.
          Remove the hand lever.
          Maybe I'm missing something here. Have to go look at a timer in my drawer.
          Last edited by 47str8leg; 11-12-2019, 4:33 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Revelator
            Tattooo no, I did not try bending the spring, I figured that the spring is hardened
            like most springs, which usually makes them brittle. I guess I can try
            and bend it cautiously and see if it wants to let me reshape it, without cracking
            I've never broken one......... I don't run a hold spring or a cable on my panhead and it never moves..... Unless I move it that is.............

If you do want to buy a replacement spring don't buy Teds junk...........
            Last edited by Tattooo; 11-12-2019, 5:26 AM.

Comment

• Revelator
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 47str8leg
              The spring is supposed to bring it to full advance. You unhook the spring and retard it back for kickstarting the bike. You said the problem was that it was retarding while riding the bike.
              Remove the hand lever.
              Maybe I'm missing something here. Have to go look at a timer in my drawer.
              I am referring to the flat circular piece underneath the points plate assembly It is wavy
              like a wave washer, only larger. not sure what harley calls it, my bike (& manual) are down
              south so I can't take any photos. I'm heading back south in another week & I want to fix
              the problem so I can ride the bike north to my new place 400 miles away. It's a brutal ride
              consisting of at least 5 mountain grades, the worst is sherwin summit, a 10 mile long grind with a 6% grade
              most of the way, then there is dead man pass, & devil's gate summit, both at around 9000 feet
              elevation. So I can't have my ignition moving around on this ride. lol.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

I'd carry aircraft safety wire and side cutters as backup (or the bungee cord) and wire it in position if whatever you choose decides to misbehave, but since hold springs are proven I'd run one or have it handy.

There's no reason not to do what works and a positive method (hold spring) beats hoping for friction from a replacement wave spring which may or may not sack while you're on the road.

If you have more than one way to do what you want then your ass is properly covered. Backups should have backups.
                Last edited by farmall; 11-13-2019, 9:06 AM.

Comment

• DustyDave
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

When a distributor or timer starts rotating to retard first thing I do is take it out and see how hard it is to rotate the shaft.
                  Dusty
                  Driving that train, high on cocaine
                  Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                  Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                  And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;