Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneuptom
    • Sep 2010

OEM Sidecar Frame Loops - 48 wishbone?

By chance does anyone know the I.D. No guessing!!

I know what size tube they were machined for, that's not what I'm asking. Knowing isn't life or death, just curious to know what I'll be up against fitting the larger 30mm (81 Shovel frame) tubes into them. Turning down the O.D. of the tube instead of boring them out seems best? I'm guessing the I.D. is a bit oversized anyway, so fitting them to the larger tubing not a big deal I would think. A mint 48 wishbone front section will be attaching to the 81 glide frame. And no, I didn't hack anything up just because!.. I came upon it that way
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

So if I am understanding right you are trying to put shovelhead down tubes (which angle all the way from the neck) in the 48 wishbone sidecar front loop casting? The 48 wishbone casting tubes go straight up, unlike the angles front legs of a shovel (or knuckle or straightleg pan for that matter?) I would think you need knuckle or straight leg pan casting to make it match the angle of the downtubes better.
    Last edited by flatman; 10-06-2021, 5:21 PM.

Comment

• oneuptom
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by flatman
      So if I am understanding right you are trying to put shovelhead down tubes in the 48 wishbone sidecar front loop casting? Isnt the wi48 wishbone casting with the, sidecar loops cast straight up, unlike the angles front legs of a shovel (or knuckle or straightleg pan for that matter?)
      They're not straight up, but TBH I don't know exactly how precisely the angles match up between the frames. The neck was cut from the glide frame just below the forging so there is plenty of tube still attached if you need leverage for a bit of tweaking

Edit: guess I didn't quite get your drift. The wishbone legs with loops attached will be slotting over the shovel downtubes so in effect, no problem
      Last edited by oneuptom; 10-06-2021, 5:32 PM.

Comment

• flatman
        • Sep 2017

Sounds like you need to make some custom downtubes to get everything to line up? Or maybe heat/grind/bend/twist the casting to match up the tube better? Bore out the hole more of an angle to also fit the bigger tube? ( if enough meat)

Comment

• oneuptom
          • Sep 2010

Lets say the inside counterbore of the loops was 1.125". the max they would need to be bored out to accept the Shovel tubes is 0,060". The Shovel tubes are plenty thick walled enough to safely take the material from them and leave the loops alone

Edit: 81 Shovel downtubes: 30mm O.D
          21mm I.D.
          4.5mm wall
          Last edited by oneuptom; 10-06-2021, 6:30 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Are you talking about the side car loop hole or the casting where the down tubes attach? Before I go measure.....

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Also you do realize they were a very tight fit because they were brazed/sweated not welded...........

Comment

• oneuptom
                • Sep 2010

Where the tubes attach!.. thanks

They looked welded to me and I think I read in Palmers were they're welded in 48?

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by oneuptom
                  Where the tubes attach!.. thanks

They looked welded to me and I think I read in Palmers were they're welded in 48?
                  My 50 is braised or sweated so I would guess a 48 would be the same but Palmers should know more than I..... I was going by your title OEM Sidecar Frame Loops - 48 wishbone? Sorry but I don't have a loose lower casting sorry...... Best of luck.......

Comment

• oneuptom
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    My 50 is braised or sweated so I would guess a 48 would be the same but Palmers should know more than I..... I was going by your title OEM Sidecar Frame Loops - 48 wishbone? Sorry but I don't have a loose lower casting sorry...... Best of luck.......
                    No problem, just curious someone here would know.

So I just checked Palmers II edition, page 53 "48 first year all electric welded frame"

I can't reach the 48 frame front section for maybe a few days, (buried behind a huge pile) then I'll post pics!

I just picked up the 81 frame this past weekend and why I'm fired up now with the possibilities, hence the questions

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by oneuptom
                      No problem, just curious someone here would know.
                      I just picked up the 81 frame this past weekend and why I'm fired up now with the possibilities, hence the questions

I don't blame you for being fired up I've been that way many times myself..... I really wish I could help best of luck.......

Comment

• ncmc47
                        • Oct 2012

I'm not
                        positive what you are doing, but I'll take a stab in the dark. If you are trying to join 1 1/8th tubing to the joint where it turns to 1" as it goes towards the rear, instead of going inside the joint put a 1" slug into the fitting, and butt the 1 1/8 up to the fitting. Use rosette welds as needed. The motor mounts on the 48 frame may be of help with alignment.
                        Last edited by ncmc47; 10-07-2021, 1:48 PM. Reason: mistake3

Comment

• oneuptom
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ncmc47
                          I'm positive what you are doing, but I'll take a stab in the dark. If you are trying to join 1 1/8th tubing to the joint where it turns to 1" as it goes towards the rear, instead of going inside the joint put a 1" slug into the fitting, and butt the 1 1/8 up to the fitting. Use rosette welds as needed. The motor mounts on the 48 frame may be of help with alignment.
                          I can't reach the 48 piece yes, but I can see it and it does indeed look like the tubing exiting the lower loop going to the front mount is smaller!.. One inch you say?

I guess you're saying I keep the 48 front mount attached and joint the tubes below that?

Comment

• oneuptom
                            • Sep 2010

Just a side note, while digging my way to that 48 piece I came across another swingarm rear section, post dropseat era. On that one the tubing is 1 1/8" with a much thinner wall. The tubing on the 81 frame is larger with a much thicker wall & measures all metric

Comment

• oneuptom
                              • Sep 2010

I finally have it in my hands and snapped a pic, just need to learn how to get if from my phone now

Much cooler than I remember, and even though it's from a 48 springer frame bike it has the 49 hydraglide steering damper pin installed. I plan to run a 49mm street glide fork on it so I'll make use that pin

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;