Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fxenewbie
    • Apr 2019

Welder choice final two

Hey guys I need an opinion on these two welder. One is a Mig hobart handler 140 and the other is a tig everlast POWERARC 161STH.

It's my first welder. I'm going to be learning how to weld with this machine and work my way up to fabricating my own parts like oil tanks and battery boxes to handlebars and sissy bars.

I understand they are two different styles of welding but if given the choice between the two machines which one would be the most versatile and able for me to grow into.

Here are links of both their specs.
    If you've been in the hunt for a well priced, well balanced and moderately powerful DC stick and TIG welder, then you know that pickings are slim. You can find a well priced unit, but does it honestly have everything you might someday need? Sure, it will work and get you by for now. But do you want that nagging feeling of wishing you could have gotten more in the way of

• DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

If those are the only choices, I would have to pick the TIG with stick. Just way more versatile for a small shop, that does lots of different stuffand Everlast has reputation as the best of the Chinesey imports. Hobart isn't really Hobart anymore and a wire only is kinda limited.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• KG
      • Dec 2012

Are you proficient in both TIG and mig? I’d opt for the TIG rig if so.

Comment

• DRare
        • Aug 2019

+1 for Everlast.

Comment

• 49WR
          • Mar 2016

The Everlast has the option of using 240v and if it's used can deliver higher output amps. When I learned to weld I did it a little differently than most people; I worked in a factory where we TIG welded SS, incoloy and inconel and that's all I did for years. Later on I started stick welding and learned MIG last. I think stick welding was the hardest for me to get good at which was kinda weird since I was certified on SS and incoloy with the TIG at the time. The Everlast is more versatile and if you get it I'd recommend the foot pedal for the TIG welding, it makes a world of difference.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

240 is vital. 120V welders are feeble and generally a waste of money. Get the TIG pedal.

No contest, get the Everlast and PRACTICE on properly cleaned scrap. Even new steel is cheap, filler is cheap and argon is reasonable. Remember the machine doesn't supply the skill to use it but practice does.

Visit weldingweb and the Miller forums. Ensure you can see clearly at working distance. Learn about "cheater" lenses. They save far more in supplies than they cost.

Buy plenty of consumables. Waiting to buy a few at a time is not economical and like buying asswipe buy the sheet/

Comment

• Fxenewbie
              • Apr 2019

I am leaning more to the TIG. Does anyone have any other suggestions of TIG machines I should look into for 500 or less?

Comment

• DRare
                • Aug 2019

I've been running an AHP alphatig for about 3 years. Think I paid $700 and that's a crazy budget machine. If you're looking for a $500 tig welder, get the Everlast. Although it'll have its limitations. Pretty sure those are DC only so you're not doing aluminum. Not entirely sure of your needs for it. I've heard of some people tig welding aluminum on DC using helium but if you're looking for a good entry level Tig welder to practice on, you're in good shape. If you do decide to go with the tig welder I'm pretty sure they don't come with a foot pedal. Shoot me a message if you need a foot pedal, you're more than welcome to have the one that came with my tig machine. It's nothing special but will get you in some practice using one.
                Last edited by DRare; 04-14-2020, 6:19 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Fxenewbie
                  I am leaning more to the TIG. Does anyone have any other suggestions of TIG machines I should look into for 500 or less?
                  Check welding forums like Weldingweb. Their users have a wide variety of machines. Everlast has a sponsored forum so you can find out more about their gear.

Comment

• Fxenewbie
                    • Apr 2019

I've looked at the alpha tig and read some reviews on it and it seems like the way to go over the everlast. It seems like more of a machine that I can grow into. I've read too many times about people buying machines and growing out of them only to buy the machine they deemed "too pricey".

Anyone else have experience with this machine?

Farmal I'll be hitting up weldingweb as well.

AHP is a manufacturer of welding equipment. Our mission is to create high quality, affordable welding equipment that is accessible to all. Our designs and features are the result of listening to our customers and building what they want into our welding machines.

Comment

• marianospeedcycle
                      • Sep 2019

100% go TIG.

Do yourself a favor and buy something that you will grow into. Welding is addictive...as you get better, you'll only want to do more complicated shit and experiment with other materials.

You will grow out of a 110 MIG machine quick. IMO, they are pretty useless aside from random odd jobs, sheet metal work, and tacking things. Mine has basically turned into the world's most expensive clamping tool. You won't be able to do anything structural with it, penetration won't be great, and the duty cycles are low. MIG really needs 220 to be useful. I wouldn't even weld up a set of bars with one.

It's tempting to just buy a cheap machine to get started, but trust me...don't. Also, factor in the cost of a tank/gas, cart, helmet, consumables, etc. Those cheaper 110 MIGs will still cost you a good bit to setup after you add up all the extra shit you need to actually weld. It sucks sinking in all that $$$ into a setup, only to regret it in a few months when you find out how limiting it is. I did. It sucked.

IMO, even MIGs in general (and this is highly debated/opinionated) are not the best for hobbyist welders like us. Great for a welding shop, because you can turn out lots of parts with good quality welds quickly. Not so great for someone who just wants to build shit at home, where efficiency isn't really much of a factor.

Advantages of TIG:
                      -Quickly, easily, and cheaply weld different materials. All you need is different filler rod, tungsten, and some settings to do so. You can only setup your MIG for one material at a time, and it's a colossal/expensive PITA to change over.
                      -Get a watertight weld, which will lead to gas tanks, exhausts, etc.
                      -Weld "more" with less amps, so even if you're stuck with 110, you can do more with it than you would with a MIG.
                      -Plug a stick into it, and then you can pretty much weld 2 moving garbage trucks together in a hailstorm.
                      -Many others, but I'll stop there. Yes, they are pretty, but that depends on the welder. A talented welder can make fluxcore beads look amazing.

I just pulled the trigger on a new TIG machine myself for my home shop. I went with an Eastwood, they are local and I heard good things about this particular machine. Obviously not as good as a big-name brand, but for my purposes, it should be just fine. TIG 200 AC/DC: https://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc.html

Things I nailed in as a must have (that the eastwood all has) when I was shopping machines:
                      -High-freq start/footpedal. Scratch start blows when you're learning. You'll blow through tungsten, and guaranteed you'll forget the torch is hot and accidentally start an arc from it sitting on a table and touching metal. Super annoying to have to keep turning the machine on/off. The footpedal is key.
                      -AC/DC. To echo on the addicting thing, if you have a TIG...you'll eventually want to weld aluminum.
                      -110/220, in case I need to take it somewhere or move it to an odd job with no access to 220.

Grease from the Low life podcast has been doing some excellent write ups on TIG welding on his site too, this is a great one: https://www.ferrofabrication.com/pos...rst-tig-welder

Comment

• Fxenewbie
                        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by marianospeedcycle
                        100% go TIG.

Do yourself a favor and buy something that you will grow into. Welding is addictive...as you get better, you'll only want to do more complicated shit and experiment with other materials.

You will grow out of a 110 MIG machine quick. IMO, they are pretty useless aside from random odd jobs, sheet metal work, and tacking things. Mine has basically turned into the world's most expensive clamping tool. You won't be able to do anything structural with it, penetration won't be great, and the duty cycles are low. MIG really needs 220 to be useful. I wouldn't even weld up a set of bars with one.

It's tempting to just buy a cheap machine to get started, but trust me...don't. Also, factor in the cost of a tank/gas, cart, helmet, consumables, etc. Those cheaper 110 MIGs will still cost you a good bit to setup after you add up all the extra shit you need to actually weld. It sucks sinking in all that $$$ into a setup, only to regret it in a few months when you find out how limiting it is. I did. It sucked.

IMO, even MIGs in general (and this is highly debated/opinionated) are not the best for hobbyist welders like us. Great for a welding shop, because you can turn out lots of parts with good quality welds quickly. Not so great for someone who just wants to build shit at home, where efficiency isn't really much of a factor.

Advantages of TIG:
                        -Quickly, easily, and cheaply weld different materials. All you need is different filler rod, tungsten, and some settings to do so. You can only setup your MIG for one material at a time, and it's a colossal/expensive PITA to change over.
                        -Get a watertight weld, which will lead to gas tanks, exhausts, etc.
                        -Weld "more" with less amps, so even if you're stuck with 110, you can do more with it than you would with a MIG.
                        -Plug a stick into it, and then you can pretty much weld 2 moving garbage trucks together in a hailstorm.
                        -Many others, but I'll stop there. Yes, they are pretty, but that depends on the welder. A talented welder can make fluxcore beads look amazing.

I just pulled the trigger on a new TIG machine myself for my home shop. I went with an Eastwood, they are local and I heard good things about this particular machine. Obviously not as good as a big-name brand, but for my purposes, it should be just fine. TIG 200 AC/DC: https://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc.html

Things I nailed in as a must have (that the eastwood all has) when I was shopping machines:
                        -High-freq start/footpedal. Scratch start blows when you're learning. You'll blow through tungsten, and guaranteed you'll forget the torch is hot and accidentally start an arc from it sitting on a table and touching metal. Super annoying to have to keep turning the machine on/off. The footpedal is key.
                        -AC/DC. To echo on the addicting thing, if you have a TIG...you'll eventually want to weld aluminum.
                        -110/220, in case I need to take it somewhere or move it to an odd job with no access to 220.

Grease from the Low life podcast has been doing some excellent write ups on TIG welding on his site too, this is a great one: https://www.ferrofabrication.com/pos...rst-tig-welder
                        Thanks man, I read his blog post it led me to the alpha TIG. I think it's the way to go.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

The key to all welding is practice and if you start on TIG and stay with it you'll have an advantage over people who become dependent on wire welders.

Perform bend tests to see how you're doing. Bend tests don't lie. Examples with pics abound.

Comment

• DRare
                            • Aug 2019

Looks like if you preorder the Alphatig 201xd on the AHP website that machine already comes with the SSC foot pedal for $690. You’re gonna want to definitely look into that route over that silver foot pedal that comes with most of them.

Comment

• buzzkilr
                              • Sep 2009

I'm interested in that Everlast 161 I have a Miller MIG but my budget for a TIG is less. I don't expect to weld aluminum. Can you run a pedal with it?

I've heard a lot of good things about Primeweld. Was this unit one of your considerations?

The TIG200-DC 200-Amp TIG welder with pedal inverter is compact and features dual voltage to switch from 110v to 220v. Order yours from PrimeWeld today.
                              Last edited by buzzkilr; 04-19-2020, 5:02 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;