Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Damian
    • Nov 2021

Mso?

Hey guys, I just bought a roller. Buddy said it was never registered it was his dads and he never got around to building it. He had No paperwork and no idea about the bike. Took it for a media blast and found this number stamped on the neck tube s005503 Called paughco and they said it’s not theirs, called sante and waiting on a reply. Any suggestions?
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Welcome to the world of paperwork, MSOs etc

You have a potential problem, but not impossble to get right. MSOs are key to have, as it reduces the amount of proof you need to get the bike titled. I say that as most states when you get with DMV to title will want that, or at least a stack of reciepts that show a history of buying the parts, etc

You didnt mention what state you are in Some, not many, will just take a bill of sale, and you are good to go to get a Title.

If you want a MSO (Again, in most states, its not required to have one) I dont beleive you will have luck getting another one from whomever made the frame

So whats next? First is patience. Eventually you need to get with DMV in YOUR area and find out what they want to issue a title: Let them know up front its a custom build. And try a small DMV office and try to talk to the same person and stay in touch with them. Lets face it, these are the folks you will have to go to eventually to get a title. Getting with your local indy builder can help as far as advice, but again, they dont work for DMV and they dont issue titles

Not enough info from you to give anymore advice: You really need to check with your state before you invest anymore more build time or $$

The I net is full of shit house lawyers, just like me So get with the folks that have the power to issue the title, Be prepared for run arounds, and dont get pissy with the folks you need to work with

There are title companies that can help really reduce the PIA, but charge about 600-800 bucks. I posted awhile back getting right with a state DMV that can help avoiding these charges and explains the clear step by step process: Ill leave you up to that one

Comment

• DazedandConfused
      • Nov 2021

Second this right here ^^^^

Make a phone call, or send an email, to whatever government agency is in charge of issuing titles for motor vehicles where you live, tell them exactly what your situation is, and ask them exactly what it will take to title the vehicle once it has been completed.

Anything other than that is just guessing on everyone's part, and will probably not help you much.

Good luck!

Comment

• Damian
        • Nov 2021

Canada eh!?

Heyyyaaa thanks for the good info! Appreciate it. I’m in canada. Alberta to be exact.

Originally posted by docmel
        Welcome to the world of paperwork, MSOs etc

You have a potential problem, but not impossble to get right. MSOs are key to have, as it reduces the amount of proof you need to get the bike titled. I say that as most states when you get with DMV to title will want that, or at least a stack of reciepts that show a history of buying the parts, etc

You didnt mention what state you are in Some, not many, will just take a bill of sale, and you are good to go to get a Title.

If you want a MSO (Again, in most states, its not required to have one) I dont beleive you will have luck getting another one from whomever made the frame

So whats next? First is patience. Eventually you need to get with DMV in YOUR area and find out what they want to issue a title: Let them know up front its a custom build. And try a small DMV office and try to talk to the same person and stay in touch with them. Lets face it, these are the folks you will have to go to eventually to get a title. Getting with your local indy builder can help as far as advice, but again, they dont work for DMV and they dont issue titles

Not enough info from you to give anymore advice: You really need to check with your state before you invest anymore more build time or $$

The I net is full of shit house lawyers, just like me So get with the folks that have the power to issue the title, Be prepared for run arounds, and dont get pissy with the folks you need to work with

There are title companies that can help really reduce the PIA, but charge about 600-800 bucks. I posted awhile back getting right with a state DMV that can help avoiding these charges and explains the clear step by step process: Ill leave you up to that one

Comment

• DazedandConfused
          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Damian
          Heyyyaaa thanks for the good info! Appreciate it. I’m in canada. Alberta to be exact.
          I wouldn't have a clue what it would take to get the proper paperwork up there. Down here in the U.S., this is determined at the state level of government. Every state is different, and has a different set of requirements and hoops you will need to jump through.

Just for conversation, in my state, to title a build requires you to take the bike to a State Highway Patrol station, where they visually inspect the build, and verify the source of the parts as being obtained legitimately. MSO or title of the vehicle any "donor" parts were taken from, as well as receipt/bill of sale, for any of the major components (frame, transmission, engine, front end). They don't give a shit about safety or anything like that, as that is taken care of as part of the process of registration and issuing the license plate. If everything is determined to be on the up and up, you get a builders tag, and the state policeman who approves it hands you a cordless drill, a builders plate with a VIN, a pop rivet tool and a handful of rivets, and you drill and affix the VIN tag on the bike while the highway patrolman watches. Then you take the paperwork from the state police to the Dept of Revenue and submit it all with your application for title.

I've heard that one or two states don't require a title for motorcycles (not sure I believe that), and some states more readily issue "replacement" titles to bikes than others. One of the common workarounds to missing paperwork was to pay to have someone else apply for a title in one of the more lax states, and then transfer the title to your home state after issuance. I don't know anyone personally who ever used such a service, or how well it actually worked out in real life, but I do remember that it cost several hundred bucks back in the day.

At that point it comes down to a value judgement and whether it's worth the $800 or whatever that would cost to proceed, or if it's easier to just use the different frame you stumbled on at the swap meet for $700 that has all of the legit paperwork with it.

And I feel it's worth repeating what docmel said for emphasis...DON'T GET PISSY with those people, especially when they're telling you something you don't want to hear, because they really are the only ones who can help resolve your problem, they CAN make the experience much more painful than it would otherwise have to be, and there are plenty of people who have found out that if you act like a dickbag to them (even if they deserve it) they WILL make it as frustrating for you as they possibly can.

Comment

• Sauerkraut
            • May 2020

You wont need an MSO for Alberta, MSO's are mostly just an American thing that helps with getting a proper title. Ive registered bikes in Saskatchewan and Manitoba and have never needed anything more than manufacturer numbers on the neck.

However I have bought an 81 shovel in Alberta and it had a provincial "VIN" plate on the neck, issued by the Calgary Police back in the day.

If I were you I would run those manufacturer numbers in a VIN database and see if anything comes back, and then attempt to register the bike with those numbers and a bill of sale. If the insurance agency wont do it, you will likely need to book an appointment and get a VIN assigned to the frame, which requires a few hundred bikes and an inspection usually.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

It would be a great help for bikers in our Northern Corporate Appendage if OP posted the entire process in detail as he goes be it successful or otherwise. There aren't a lot of Canadian title threads.

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

Im not sure but why not ask the Canadian equivalent of DMV? You are going to have to go there anyhow....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;