Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 33anda3rdreich
    • Dec 2010

883 to 1200 conversion (parts and kits)

So I want to make my 883 sporty into a 1200. there are quite a few kits out there. I have been directed by a few people to NRHS, everyone says they are the best which is fine but I dont have the $$$ for the best.http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekit8831200.shtml

The lowbrow conversion kits are a little closer to my budget. The lowbrow kits use "wisco" parts etc. Which I hear are 50/50 on quality. kits usually run around $500

Now I find this Wisco kit for $230. But you only get the pistons. http://www.amazon.com/Wiseco-Piston-.../dp/B000WJCQ2Y

So whats the difference? Will the kits with just the pistons really work? and if so, how well?

Thoughts please
  • mindthreat44
    • Jul 2011

I think the kit with the just the pistons will require you to bore out your stock cylinders to except the bigger pistons. The other two are completely bolt in. I can't comment on quality of either one though since my bike is still an 883

Comment

• Bonsai
      • Jan 2010

The kits are.. well kits... "bolt on" as one can get... as opposed to just buying the jugs and then having to machine it- which sounds like you will have to farm out...

So add a few $100's for that work by the time you get done. Know a guy that just had this done to his 883 by NRHS and dumped about $1200 into it- he added some mild upgrades- cam, etc.- he says it's a pretty sick ride now.

My nature says the "bolt on" is not entirely tru- would love to hear frmo someone that's actually done it and what all else ends up needing to be done as I have an 89 sitting here that is just screaming for it..

Comment

• azmotorhead
        • Apr 2024

wiseco quality is fine, they make pistons for s&s. cheaper just to bore your cyclinders and buy a set of pistons.

Comment

• AfterHours
          • Jul 2009

You may as well have a local shop bore out the cylinders that you have 'cause the bolt on ones are mass produced and you really want to hone them to each piston anyways. Wiseco pistons are alright, not great, but you're not building a $10,000 motor so it'll be fine. I think you want to hone on the tight side with Wiseco's, talk to the local shop and they should know better.

Now is also the time to have your heads ported. This is the best money you can spend for performance aside from the 1200 conversion.

Comment

• CRFyou
            • Mar 2010

when i get cylinders bored, i take the pistons to the machine shop so there's no guessing in their machine work.

it's def more affordable if you do the leg work yourself. i, personally, wouldn't bore an air cooled motor on the tight side. pistons swell faster than the cylinder walls expand.

Comment

• VonMisfit
              • Apr 2011

i was looking at this guy. same price as some of the cheap china V-twin kits (these are the one you can find everywhere) but he uses harley jugs. planes all the mating surfaces too.

just have to send him your old 883 jugs

Comment

• Shovelzilla
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by azmotorhead
                wiseco quality is fine, they make pistons for s&s. cheaper just to bore your cyclinders and buy a set of pistons.
                True that,ive rebuilt alot of my dirtbikes with Wiseco pistons/cranks,good quality!

Comment

• 33anda3rdreich
                  • Dec 2010

Talked to local shop. He said it would be cheaper to buy bolt on kit vs have my current parts bored out. he also said go with reverse domed pistons and might have to go up to a larger valve in order to make a real difference in power.

his opinion on porting and head polishing is that there are better things to spend $ on.

Comment

• LDNCLR
                    • Nov 2009

sounds to me like he wants to sell you a bunch of stuff. Port the heads.
                    Last edited by LDNCLR; 11-10-2011, 12:03 PM. Reason: i cant spell on the first try.

Comment

• 33anda3rdreich
                      • Dec 2010

I would have thought that but the guy doesn't sell any of the kits, parts, or services mentioned. he told me to keep researching and make the best decision.

as far as porting I have heard arguments for both sides. I am no expert so I will leave it at that

Comment

• bigdaddy
                        • Nov 2009

let's get a bunch of guys from indiana together and see if we can get a shop discount for having the jugs punched out!

Comment

• GO4TH
                          • Nov 2010

Call Dan At Hammer Performance 970 344 7120 ....He knows more about Sportster performance,big bore kits,and porting,than anyone I know.

Comment

• azmotorhead
                            • Apr 2024

could always buy some used 1200 cylinders off of flea bay and a set of buell heads. just happens to be a set on classifieds right now.

Comment

• rackball
                              • Feb 2013

sorry to bring this up being so old. but can you take a stock 883 and put same year 1200 heads jugs and pistons on it? without fukkkering the bottom end up? keep hearing contradictions.. weight of pistons on the crank and what not..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;