CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Clutch disengaging after a few seconds

Hello,

Got a 73 shovelhead with stock clutch and have a problem with it.
    Clutch was working good before I took the bike apart for a paintjob. Once installed back and I put in the (foot) clutch it works fine for a few seconds. And then (after 2/3 seconds) it disengages while having the clutch in. During waiting on the paintjob I left the clutch on the transmission and didn't touch it. What could cause the problem?

If you mean that the clutch is engaging, the steels may be rusty. You may also have a problem with the release bearing, and if you have a foot clutch, the early style bearing is preferred, almost mandatory.

Jim

Yes sorry, engaging. Sometimes trouble with translation to English, hehe.
    With the release bearing you mean the throwout bearing like: https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...?page=%2150352 ?
    I will check if I have the early or later style on it.
    So if I have to open the clutch system I will check if the steel plates are rusty.

Want to let you guys know that there was indeed some rust overall. Cleaned the steel and friction discs, paid a lot of attention to it. And it worked, clutch is better now. Let's say it's good. Thanks Jim.

This happens to my bike sometimes after I wash it and let it sit. I usually push the clutch in, rev the piss out of it and the plates come apart on their own.

Share This