Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jryanfuct
    • May 2015

No air cleaner how the f#$k!

keep seeing bikes running with no air cleaner at all.
    what are some of yall's opinions on this?
    i know this is not new and has been done a lot. but isn't shit getting damaged by doing this?

i dont know?
    fill me in... ha
  • bparsel
    • Jul 2011

I dont get it man, nor would I do it. Doing it for a long enough period will cause extra wear on the cylinder walls etc.

The unfiltered velocity stacks do look cool.....just not on one of my bikes.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

If it was a boat, I would say go for it...!!!!

Being your going to be on the Street with Cars, Trucks and Buses that will be kicking up dust and dirt.... Nope not a good idea...
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

The guys that do that dont have clue. You couldnt do more harm, and frankly, it really doesnt look all that cool. Some guys will place a stack on a
        show bike that they wont actually ride, then put a filter on it when its time to jam

Comment

• WillSCB
          • Dec 2014

Yea, it looks cool, and on a straight out drag bike, where you are rebuilding the engine every thousand or so miles it is fine and gives you a little extra performance if set up right, but for longevity on the street it sucks. You get a bunch of dirt and shit in your engine.

Comment

• jryanfuct
            • May 2015

yeah I'm seeing like shovels and some nice bikes thinking to myself you cant do that??
            shit i would be worried about the big shit? what happens if you suck a horse fly up?

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Mechanics and machinists gotta eat too.

We need as many people (self excepted) as possible to wear out top end parts to keep aftermarket production going.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall

We need as many people (self excepted) as possible to wear out top end parts to keep aftermarket production going.
                Good Point....^^^^

Is it to late for me to make a retraction of my info...????
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• bparsel
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  Good Point....^^^^

Is it to late for me to make a retraction of my info...????
                  X2.....hadnt thought of that angle.

Comment

• spent
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by farmall
                    To ad to that sentiment, so do tailors and doctors. Aside from the obvious dirt issue, I've been on more than a couple open-carb shakedown runs only to either kill the engine by accidentally geting my pant-leg caught up in there, or getting burnt from a backfire (ruined a pair of Carhartts that way. Amazing how willing you become to swat violently at your tender regions when fire is your only other option).

Comment

• SkinnyFnny
                      • Sep 2014

I know the "that aint right" circle jerk has already started but I figure someone should play devil's advocate. Japanese bikes (see all xs/cb/tt/xt/xr/sr/cl/ct/z) are extremely uhh.. forgiving. As long as you keep up with the valve train and don't let them run out of oil they will run, I say this from experience. Generally, Japanese bikes will take water, rust, and dirt as long as it's not in huge quantities and rarely need rebuilt. Again, this is as long as you keep them tuned in.

I'm NOT saying that an open intake isn't bad. Accidentally ran an sr540 on a limestone half mile without oiling the filters and totally fucked everything up. It was like spraying a sandblaster down the intake at 8k.

Comment

• Ink83
                        • Sep 2014

I know a number of guys that have done 30,000+ miles with no air filters. They never had a single problem from inside with their motors, still running as strong as the day they threw their velocity stacks on. So I don't believe it's a bad thing full stop, depends where you ride and what the regular conditions are like. Running no filter defintely exposes more risk and so for some it'd be a no go, but there are guys out there that do the miles and never have a single drama.

I've never had an issue with mine. I've recently stripped the motor in my softail after running no filter for around 10,000 miles, and honestly the bores and pistons were in excellent nick. No sign of extra wear. Each to their own

Comment

• jryanfuct
                          • May 2015

im liking where this is going. got both sides of the fence here.
                          those that do run with no air cleaner does the bike want to die if a big gust of wind comes to the right side of the bike?
                          and what do y'all do in the rain?
                          too many benefits to having filtration for me, but hey if it works and you like it, thats all that matters... right?

Comment

• Ink83
                            • Sep 2014

ive never had any problems with big cross winds on the intake side, and there is a stretch of road I ride regularly that has heavy gusts on the intake side, though it's the hiway and I'm probably cutting through the gusts more then anything. As for the rain I ride as normal, I only pull over if it's trencheral rain. I don't think a VS would suck much more water in then an exposed filter. It's what I use to run and I've notoced no difference. A rain sock as you suggested would be a great idea though. I'm not saying it's better then having a filter, but food for thought for anyone interested

Comment

• 47str8leg
                              • Sep 2014

The internal combustion engine is a giant vacuum. In comes the grit-out go the cylinder walls.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;