Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ramzilla
    • Oct 2013

I have a Masterbilt MES30. There are much better more expensive units out there but moving into this electric one from my charcoal smoker is like night and day. I love the digital temp controls and simplicity of the electric.

Comment

• WillSCB
      • Dec 2014

Love this. I got a smoker and grill that were made from old hot water heaters. Look on craigslist freebie section you will see them all the time that people are getting rid of because of water leaks. Propane or natural gas smokers are easy, but I mainly use mesquite, as I have a mesquite tree growing right next to my house, so I trim it and set the branches and such aside and use them for smoking. The grill I use most was made from the tank of a hot water heater that was made in the 1920's (from what I was told.) Idea of building my own grill came from an episode of "The Red Green Show" where he made a "bathecue" from a couple of old cast iron bathtubs and shower fittings. Watched it and thought his technique is kinda fucked, but with some modifications, that could work. Few years later a friend who was remodeling her 1960's trailer home had a bathtub she asked if I wanted. I, of course, replied "hell, yeah." I attached a couple of the grills and smokers I have made. Also, technique for smoked ribs I tried that worked great, the 3-2-1 method. For prep, cover ribs in rub of your choice, and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Next day, cook the ribs on a smoker at about 220 degrees on an open grate for 3 hours. After the three hours is up, put the ribs in foil and completely cover them. At this stage, when I tried this, I put a mixture of orange and lemon juice (basically two 10-12 oz bottles, one of each) in with the ribs in the foil. Put it in the smoker (same temp) for two hours, then take the foil off the top of the ribs (leave sitting in juice with sides and bottom in foil and cook like this for an hour. Most tender ribs I have ever had, and the orange juice mixed with the smoke flavor comes out great. Don't have any pictures from food and such, but got a couple of pictures of smokers I have built.Click image for larger version

Name:	grillphoto01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	1284337Click image for larger version

Name:	grillphoto03.jpg
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	1284338Click image for larger version

Name:	grillphoto04.jpg
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	1284339Click image for larger version

Name:	grillphoto05.jpg
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1284340Click image for larger version

Name:	grillphoto06.jpg
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1284341

Comment

• turbonate
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Ramzilla
        Temp?
        Not sure, mine had a guage that read "cold, warm, hot" I keep it pretty cool, the guage runs in the lower part of warm. I basically get a good bed of coals going, then pile a bunch of soaked wood on top of that and close the vents way down.

Comment

• turbonate
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by WillSCB
          Love this. I got a smoker and grill that were made from old hot water heaters. Look on craigslist freebie section you will see them all the time that people are getting rid of because of water leaks. Propane or natural gas smokers are easy, but I mainly use mesquite, as I have a mesquite tree growing right next to my house, so I trim it and set the branches and such aside and use them for smoking. The grill I use most was made from the tank of a hot water heater that was made in the 1920's (from what I was told.) Idea of building my own grill came from an episode of "The Red Green Show" where he made a "bathecue" from a couple of old cast iron bathtubs and shower fittings. Watched it and thought his technique is kinda fucked, but with some modifications, that could work. Few years later a friend who was remodeling her 1960's trailer home had a bathtub she asked if I wanted. I, of course, replied "hell, yeah." I attached a couple of the grills and smokers I have made. Also, technique for smoked ribs I tried that worked great, the 3-2-1 method. For prep, cover ribs in rub of your choice, and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Next day, cook the ribs on a smoker at about 220 degrees on an open grate for 3 hours. After the three hours is up, put the ribs in foil and completely cover them. At this stage, when I tried this, I put a mixture of orange and lemon juice (basically two 10-12 oz bottles, one of each) in with the ribs in the foil. Put it in the smoker (same temp) for two hours, then take the foil off the top of the ribs (leave sitting in juice with sides and bottom in foil and cook like this for an hour. Most tender ribs I have ever had, and the orange juice mixed with the smoke flavor comes out great. Don't have any pictures from food and such, but got a couple of pictures of smokers I have built.[ATTACH=CONFIG]61960[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61961[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61964[/ATTACH]
          That batheque is gangster as hell

Comment

• DustyDave
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

A friend likes cooking over a pit but is too lazy to turn a spit so he built this solar powered double spit The cord was strung out incase of heavy clouds but we never needed it.
            https://<a href="http://s657.photobu...1ea.jpg"/></a>https://<a href="http://s657.photobu...ccd.jpg"/></a>
            Dusty
            Driving that train, high on cocaine
            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• BurseCurse
              • Jun 2010

Orange marmalade sriracha wings: combine 18oz Orange marmalade,1/3 cup honey,1/3 cup brown sugar,1/3 sriracha hot sauce.Bring to a boil and remove from heat.Prepare your wings with whatever rubs or marinades you lije and smoke at 225-300 til done.Toss the wings in the sauce and throw em back on the grill for a few to crisp up and set the sauce.I don't t have any pics right now but trust me,these wings are the shit.Everybody that's tried em has loved em. Also,check out tvwbb.com. Its a forum for smoke enthusiasts with kick ass photo galleries and recipes,contests,all kinds of cool shit. Smokin meat has become a new obsession!

Comment

• WillSCB
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by turbonate
                That batheque is gangster as hell
                Thanks, here is the clip from the Red Green Show that inspired this madness.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
                  • Sep 2014

Fuck me running those duck sausage look amazing!

Comment

• Knuckleduster
                    • Mar 2024

Meat is great, as my roommates have recently switched to vegetarian, I am really appreciating meat more. However great meat is, there's always room for dessert.
                    This is more of a pit thing than smoker or grill thing. I'm talking about cake,...yeah, you heard me correctly I said CAKE! Now, I don't have any pics, so, just try to visualize.
                    Good size fire pit, lots of hot coals, dutch oven, your favorite cake mix. Lightly grease the inside of the dutch oven. Make cake mix according to directions on package. Pour mix into dutch oven. Put lid on dutch oven, and place in the center of red hot coals, piling as many coals as possible on top of the dutch oven, and all around it. The idea is to surround/ envelop/ bury the dutch oven with coals. You'll likely want to check it a bit before the time on the package, as coals tend to be a bit hotter than an actual oven. Cook until toothpick inserted comes back clean.

Comment

• eroticjesus
                      • Nov 2012

I do a lot of grilling, smoking, curing and even pickling meat.

I won't waste time with telling you recipes for stuff.. A lot of cats on here seem to have that covered. But I can give a little advice on the process, which I've found more than makes up for any additional flavor additives.
                      I'll talk steak. Grilling steak specifically, if you want to know more ask, but I don't wanna throw up a huge WOT.

Your first decision should be cut. Personally, I avoid porterhouses for the grill, technically a porterhouse is three different cuts all still around one bone.
                      My typical choice for grilling is a Prime rib. I mean, really, that's a damn good cut for grilling. I like them at least 1.5" thick
                      I buy them a week before the day of the grilling. I put them on a plate with a paper towel over them in the fridge. Once in the morning I pick them up, wipe the plate and flip them, then put a new paper towel on top. I repeat the process every morning and evening throughout the aging process.
                      The idea is to dry them, 'cause water... has no taste. So get rid of as much excess water as possible.
                      I will usually dry them for at least 72 hours, but 96 hours is good too. Sometimes hard brown spots will appear when the time is up. Just trim those with a good knife.
                      The day of the grilling, I take the meat out sprinkle a generous amount of large crystal Kosher salt on each side and let them sit on the counter until they reach room temperature.
                      I make sure I have good coals with a LOT of heat. Not flame, but heat. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get the coals that way. I use hardwood lump coal, better heat, longer use.
                      Right before I put them on the grill I brush a little olive oil on each side, and them put them on to sizzle.
                      Times may vary depending on heat, but the trick is really to not fuck with them at all once they hit the metal. Let them cook. Usually 2-3 minutes for the first side and 1-2.5 minutes on the other.
                      You want a crisp caramelized crust, but nice rare to medium-rare center. If you want to thermometer probe them, I remove them from the heat when the center is at 124 degrees. If you cook beyond medium rare. Fuck you. None of this matters, eat a goddamn hamburger or Steak-ums you fucking peasant.
                      Then I set them on a platter, put pepper on each side to flavor and let them sit for 5 ish minutes, then serve. I don't pepper before they hit the flame 'cause pepper will burn and taste really bitter.
                      So, that's how I deal with steak. Enjoy.
                      After

Comment

• cisco
                        • Aug 2012

As a side dish when BBQing steak the flavor of the meat and charcoal gets absorbed by the zucchini I let lay beside the meat. Easy recipe. Take some cooking oil not olive oil which burns too quick and mix in rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and hell even garlic powder. Split some 12" or so zucchinis lengthwise after cutting off the ends and baste with this mix. I flip em once when there is a bit of sag as you lift em to flip. Takes only a few minutes and these things are great and even better if you wanna add some cheese on top to melt right after taking em off the grill. Next day these zucchini leftovers taste great even cold.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by eroticjesus
                          I do a lot of grilling, smoking, curing and even pickling meat.

I won't waste time with telling you recipes for stuff.. A lot of cats on here seem to have that covered. But I can give a little advice on the process, which I've found more than makes up for any additional flavor additives.
                          I'll talk steak. Grilling steak specifically, if you want to know more ask, but I don't wanna throw up a huge WOT.

Your first decision should be cut. Personally, I avoid porterhouses for the grill, technically a porterhouse is three different cuts all still around one bone.
                          My typical choice for grilling is a Prime rib. I mean, really, that's a damn good cut for grilling. I like them at least 1.5" thick
                          I buy them a week before the day of the grilling. I put them on a plate with a paper towel over them in the fridge. Once in the morning I pick them up, wipe the plate and flip them, then put a new paper towel on top. I repeat the process every morning and evening throughout the aging process.
                          The idea is to dry them, 'cause water... has no taste. So get rid of as much excess water as possible.
                          I will usually dry them for at least 72 hours, but 96 hours is good too. Sometimes hard brown spots will appear when the time is up. Just trim those with a good knife.
                          The day of the grilling, I take the meat out sprinkle a generous amount of large crystal Kosher salt on each side and let them sit on the counter until they reach room temperature.
                          I make sure I have good coals with a LOT of heat. Not flame, but heat. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get the coals that way. I use hardwood lump coal, better heat, longer use.
                          Right before I put them on the grill I brush a little olive oil on each side, and them put them on to sizzle.
                          Times may vary depending on heat, but the trick is really to not fuck with them at all once they hit the metal. Let them cook. Usually 2-3 minutes for the first side and 1-2.5 minutes on the other.
                          You want a crisp caramelized crust, but nice rare to medium-rare center. If you want to thermometer probe them, I remove them from the heat when the center is at 124 degrees. If you cook beyond medium rare. Fuck you. None of this matters, eat a goddamn hamburger or Steak-ums you fucking peasant.
                          Then I set them on a platter, put pepper on each side to flavor and let them sit for 5 ish minutes, then serve. I don't pepper before they hit the flame 'cause pepper will burn and taste really bitter.
                          So, that's how I deal with steak. Enjoy.
                          After
                          I didn't know the pepper thing. I've always salted and peppered before cooking. I'm interested in learning more if you care to type anymore especially on curing and smoking.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Knuckleduster
                            Meat is great, as my roommates have recently switched to vegetarian, I am really appreciating meat more. However great meat is, there's always room for dessert.
                            This is more of a pit thing than smoker or grill thing. I'm talking about cake,...yeah, you heard me correctly I said CAKE! Now, I don't have any pics, so, just try to visualize.
                            Good size fire pit, lots of hot coals, dutch oven, your favorite cake mix. Lightly grease the inside of the dutch oven. Make cake mix according to directions on package. Pour mix into dutch oven. Put lid on dutch oven, and place in the center of red hot coals, piling as many coals as possible on top of the dutch oven, and all around it. The idea is to surround/ envelop/ bury the dutch oven with coals. You'll likely want to check it a bit before the time on the package, as coals tend to be a bit hotter than an actual oven. Cook until toothpick inserted comes back clean.
                            Does it taste any different than cooking in an actual oven?

Comment

• metalheart28
                              • Feb 2014

I fuckin love using my smokers! since my forced retirement I spend the majority of my time bbq'ing and drinking beer. I have a wood burner that I reconfigured and I just recently got an electric one for real long overnight cooks.Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1284400Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	1284401
                              my first overnight cook in the electric smoker I did a 13lb packer brisket that I injected with powdered beefy onion soup that I mixed with beef broth and rubbed with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and smoked with the jack daniels aging barrel chips. it cooked for 20 hours @ 225 and was hands down the best piece of meat I have ever cooked.Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1284402

Comment

• eroticjesus
                                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ramzilla
                                I didn't know the pepper thing. I've always salted and peppered before cooking. I'm interested in learning more if you care to type anymore especially on curing and smoking.
                                Hmm, sure.
                                Well, let's tackle curing and smoking. Or really, brining and smoking. I'll tell ya, otherthan a steak a good corned beef, or pastrami can really make a meal.

I'll try to make this one shorter... mostly because cook times and specific cures/rubs are fun to experiment with, so consider this an overview.
                                Again, we start with the meat. Head to your butcher and get yourself the entire brisket. Yes, the entire brisket. You won't be sorry. I usually end up somewhere in the 8-12 pound range for a brisket. I trim t so that there is around .5-.75” of fat.. Sometimes less.
                                Now it gets crazy.. Freeze your brisket overnight. I know weird, but really it helps with the brining. Make sure when you freeze it, you set it up in a way that will allow it to fit in your bucket frozen solid.
                                Next, you’ll want a 5 gallon food safe bucket. I have a few, I prefer the ones with the screw tops just because they are easier to deal with once something is inside them.
                                Next, make your brine.
                                I use….generally, 12 quarts water, 4 cup kosher salt, 8 tablespoons saltpeter, 6 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces, 6 Table spoons mustard seeds, 6 tablespoon black peppercorns, 1 large handful whole cloves, 1 large handful whole allspice berries, 1 large handful crumbled bay leaves, 5 teaspoon ground ginger, 4 onions, quartered, 3 large carrot, coarsely chopped, 3 stalk celery, coarsely chopped. A lot of people use either honey or brown sugar as well. I don’t.. but that’s preference.
                                I bring the water to boil, dissolve the salt s, then let it cool to room temp.
                                Place brisket in bucket. Pour cool brine over frozen brisket, and park in your refrigerator for 10-12 days.

Congratulations, you just made a corned beef. You can cook it, and slice it, boil it and serve with cabbage and potatoes for some Micks, whatever…Or…
                                You can take the freshly corned beef and put it in a bucket of cold fresh water overnight..to take the really briney salty taste out, then mix up 12 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper, 6 tablespoons coriander powder, 3 teaspoon mustard powder, 3 tablespoon brown sugar, 5 tablespoon hot paprika, 8 teaspoons garlic powder, 8 teaspoons onion powder.
                                Coat the meat with olive oil and spread the rub very liberally. There should be no rub left and the meat should be completely covered. At this point, I let it sit for another 8ish hours covered in the fridge to let the oil get the rub to stick better.
                                Now, I use an indirect smoke.
                                I have a barrel grill with a side smoker, so I put the brisket as far away from the heat source as possible, and baby sit the thing to keep the temp between 160 and 175 degrees. Wood is like engine oil, or spark plugs, pick whatever you like the best.
                                I try not to go longer than 4-5 hours, because after that the fat gets melted so much that it never seems to slice right.
                                Once smoked, I refrigerate for another 10ish hours, then I use my bamboo steamer to heat it up, slice it thick and boom.. the best pastrami you’ll ever had.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...