Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironmoose
    • Mar 2016

Just chiming in that Biltwell is just a brand, they're owned by DS or some crap now. Their products are made in Taiwan and if you don't buy directly from them you're SOL if somethings wrong. They're almost as big a joke as RSD for trying to push the "handcrafted by bearded hipsters in a garage" narrative when the opposite is true. You can buy RSD products from china directly.. for 1/10th the cost.

Took over 6 months to get my Continental diamond stitch seat for my dyna, the seat pan is ABS plastic, the pleather is STAPLED into it on the underside, half the staples missed the material... Biltwell didn't even bother to offer to make it right.

Blame the hipster douchebags, the instagram crowd for them still being around.

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

Was doing some searching and came across this http://fagengine.bigcartel.com/produ...ble-throttle-1 it looks well built thinking about giving it a try will report back if I do.

Comment

• Clickjack
        • Oct 2016

For whatever it's worth my Biltwell throttle works great.

And the two things I have exchanged with them they got right back to me and shipped the same day I shipped my item back to them. (Neither were quality issues).

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

Lets get this straight, they're ALL shitty bargain-bin Chinese-made brands that are flawed to varied degree. Biltwell sucks. I hate seeing that shit logo blown up oversize everywhere on their product, every one of their designs is flawed, and their manufacture is dirt cheap--backed up by the false claim that it can't be made here.

Comment

• ApolloScreed
            • Mar 2017

BIltwell is less a “motorcycle company” than they are an advertising and marketing juggernaut. In an economic system in which the goal is to sell as much of whatever you are selling and make as much money as you can in the process, the Biltwell guys have played their hand quite successfully. At this point, quality (or lack thereof) of the product has become secondary to growing the brand.

Having established their business acumen and overseas manufacturing capabilities through their past endeavors within the bicycle industry, AND being heavily involved in the marketing / advertising industry as well, it was obviously an easy move for Biltwell’s founders to branch off into producing motorcycle parts in order to capture another revenue stream. Additionally, their marketing savvy and advertising experience seem to have been expertly utilized to identify and capture a large customer base to which their products could be funneled for quick and easy consumption.

As for Biltwell’s products, I’ve used them. From helmets to handlebars, they seem to be relatively affordable, readily obtainable, useable products that do what they are designed to do. A couple of friends of mine have Biltwell throttles that they got years ago and say they are great. They seem to sell a shit-ton of Biltwell-branded parts and to be a healthy company from a financial standpoint. It’s hard to fault a company for being successful. We live in a capitalistic society and successful businesses make for a healthier economy, etc, etc.

Biltwell’s MARKETING, on the other hand….

There is an old saying that states “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” and, looking back at Biltwell’s marketing from their earliest days until now, this quote seems to have been their guiding mantra.

With their logo now seemingly as ubiquitous as those of Wal-Mart or Coca-Cola, Biltwell’s marketing has MASTERFULLY harnessed and manipulated social media in a way which has clearly grown their brand and maximized their visibility to the point of overexposure.

However, an unfortunate side effect of their phonily self-deprecating, dumbed-down, “cool to be ironic”, social-media-driven , everybody-gets-to-play-dress-up schtick of a marketing strategy (seen here on this very forum which was CREATED by Biltwell before it became profitable enough to be sold off) seems to have been the formation of an entire made-for-instagram, just-add-water “scene” of customers and consumers made up of coddled, soft-bodied trust-funders, loudmouth wannabe’s, and seat-standing, look-at-me narcissists in which “likes” and hashtags are more important that knowing how to change the oil in your motorcycle – much less ride the damned thing. If Biltwell didn't CREATE this "scene", their marketing certainly keeps it well-fertilized. Add in a few carefully-cultivated fanboys, some third-tier industry suck-ups, and a liberal dose of social media to help spread the Bilwell gospel and watch those blissfully ignorant kids line up from here to the horizon to purchase a set of Keystone bars or a Gringo helmet and bubble shield. (And don’t forget to snarkily make fun of “Sons of Anarchy” as often as possible so that no one has to realize who is REALLY playing “dress up”.)

Of course, people can make the argument: “Those guys give away lots of product and they sponsored the (insert name here) run!”. While it’s true that Biltwell does “sponsor” many events, it’s for ADVERTISING purposes and brand placement. Their size, sales numbers and profit margins clearly allow for a healthy advertising budget - a budget that is factored in to the cost of the product that YOU pay for. They don’t sponsor your event because they are your buddies or want you to sit with them at the “bro-table”. They do it to move more Kung-Fu grips, Mushman pegs, and Whiskey Throttles. Play the game if you want but don’t kid yourself. It’s business.

It can also be said “But Biltwell puts on great events!” That may be the case AND if they weren’t enjoyable, people might stop coming to them. That said, when you buy the ticket and take the ride, realize that there are business-driven mechanics behind the curtain. Have a read on how this works with everyone’s favorite overexposed event, “Babes Ride Out” (and have your chum bucket ready to hurl into after you’ve had your fill of marketing buzzwords).

So in closing, be thoughtful and intentional about where you spend your money. Personally, I’ll happily pay a little bit more and wait a little bit longer for a set of bars, a seat, or a throttle from a manufacturer that sells American-made products that support American workers and families. If that’s not possible and I have to buy cheap Chinese product, I’ll make sure I pay cheap Chinese prices. Paying $100.00 for a $6.00 part wrapped up in $94.00 worth of scenester marketing? No thanks.
            Last edited by ApolloScreed; 03-08-2017, 1:52 PM.

Comment

• seaking
              • Jul 2013

^^^ spot on^^^

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

I really like the socket with lapping compound trick. Instant semi-precision sanding roll!

You could behead an extra socket extension and spin the socket with a drill. I have one for removing screws but now I can add a useful mission.

Comment

• ac72rat
                  • Mar 2012

whisky throttle is shit in fact i have NEW one available now $50 think i paid 90 pm for details

Comment

• mhobryan
                    • Sep 2012

It's interesting to read this....I also own a '76 VW Bus (ok, here's the connection...they are air cooled just like Harley's . Biggest complaint is the lack of QUALITY replacement parts. People are willing to PAY for quality (Baker transmissions anyone?). If a company would develop a throttle that felt like quality, performed in a quality manner, and was under a $100, they would probably have folks lining up.... I've got to think with our Yankee ingenuity, we could develop a high quality part at a fair price that folks would buy...

Comment

• xnewmanx
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mhobryan
                      If a company would develop a throttle that felt like quality, performed in a quality manner, and was under a $100, they would probably have folks lining up
                      inexpensive/quality.

Pick one.

I know 100 dollars seems like a lot, but manufacturing costs in the USA are stupid high.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by xnewmanx
                        inexpensive/quality.

Pick one.

I know 100 dollars seems like a lot, but manufacturing costs in the USA are stupid high.
                        yes they certainly are, I can speak for that first hand, when you have CNC operators, machinists, or fabricators that make around $100 or more an hour (they are worth every penny that they charge if your using the right people) and you use strictly USA grade materials it becomes impossible to make a product here in the USA that can compete with companies making parts in China, Taiwan, Korea, etc etc.

So I wont get too long winded on this one,

for a good quality throttle use the Speed Dealer one, I use them on all the new bikes that I build, they are excellent and they only cost about $30 more than the Biltwell ones do, and they are much nicer, 100% made in the USA, and they look good also.
                        So for me an extra $30 going to a company that makes its product here in the US vs. a company that doesnt is a no brainer every time.

Now if you want to compare a $130 product to a $12 product there is no comparison, the $12 product is a piece of plastic where the other piece is machined aluminum. I try and put as little plastic parts on my bikes as possible. especially ones that have to do with anything regarding, brakes, throttles, drivetrains, or other pieces that could potentially get you killed if they fail.

Comment

• budman1876
                          • Apr 2010

Speed Dealer has the singles on sale for $78.95, just bought one. Will return my Whiskey.

Comment

• Cotton1
                            • Aug 2017

Where does a fellow find said $12 throttle? I'm interested, but not a internet wizard.
                            ( Been searching for parts all day-today including throttles)

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me Made in USA took a back seat to Made in China or Mexico or whatever is cheapest some 30+ years ago, when Walmart switched from the US made pride to whatever is cheapest. '80s I think.

Thanks,
                            Cotton1

Comment

• nickey
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Cotton1
                              Where does a fellow find said $12 throttle? I'm interested, but not a internet wizard.
                              ( Been searching for parts all day-today including throttles)

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me Made in USA took a back seat to Made in China or Mexico or whatever is cheapest some 30+ years ago, when Walmart switched from the US made pride to whatever is cheapest. '80s I think.

Thanks,
                              Cotton1
                              eBay or amazon. I ran one for a while and it was fine. Definitely replace the screws/bolts. And when I installed mine on my sporty I had to do so tweaking to get the cable end inside the clamp. Ended up drilled clamp out and using a plastic washer on the cable itself. Very loose but no problems with it over the past year. And I also just used my stock plastic throttle tube. But I recently swapped some bars and must have pulled something weird cause it started hanging up when it was clamped tight. Think i bent the slots in the tube for the cable end. Instead of replacing the tube I just bought a whiskey throttle. The cable was loose from me rigging it up anyways. Short test ride seems fine. Doesn't feel any better than the $12 one as far as action but the cable is nice and tight. So that's a plus. Also the finish is nice and its not plastic.

Comment

• Cotton1
                                • Aug 2017

Note taken, thanks Nickey.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;