Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OliverClozoff
    • Jan 2019

Another electrical question for the group

I have searched here, but haven't found exactly what I need. I figured I would throw this out to y'all since you have helped me through my other issues.

I have a mid 90's Evo in a Kraft Tech hard tail frame. It is wired so a key turns the power on and then a momentary switch engages the starter.

I recently took the tank off to fit a new tank on it. So, I fit up the new tank, turn the key and bike just clicks several times and then all power is out. So, I figure I have a wire that is grounding out somewhere. I take the tank off, get a bore scope and check all of the wires that run down the inside of the top tube of the frame. Sure as shit, there is a bare wire in there. So, I pull that wire (and all of the other others) out of the frame, rewire them (solder and shrink tube) and wire it back up.

Now when I turn the key and push the start button there is one click and then no power at all. I thought maybe the push button was shorting out, but I tested it with an ohm meter and it appears to be working correctly. There are two automatic circuit breakers that I am thinking may be suspect, so that is what I will replace next. Then I am going to check the relay, but that is buried in behind the primary and I might have to flip the bike upside down (BMX style) to get in there.

I am really thinking the starter relay is bad, I am reasonably sure the wire that was grounding out ran from the hot side of the fuse block, down the neck, and then to the relay. When I push the button and the whole thing goes dead, if I wait a day and come back, it will have power and I can try again which leads me to think it is a circuit breaker that resets itself over time. I am not sure if a bad relay will reset itself over time.

Anyway, I am going to keep tinkering with it and see if I can track down the issue. If anyone has any ideas or questions, throw them out there.

Thanks in advance
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

How is your battery???? It sounds like you have drained it or killed it with all the wire shorting you have been doing........

You need to check it under a load with a meter.......

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by OliverClozoff
      I might have to flip the bike upside down (BMX style) to get in there.
      Don't do it.............. Your just asking for more problems......

If you can't fix it without flip over the bike you need to seek out a professional......

Comment

• OliverClozoff
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
        Don't do it.............. Your just asking for more problems......

If you can't fix it without flip over the bike you need to seek out a professional......
        That was said tongue in cheek. I have a table lift, a scissor jack and other misc. jacks. I can probably just lift it up and get at it from underneath.

As far as the battery goes, it should be good. I have charged it, and it stays plugged in to a trickle charger all the time. I do have a load tester that will test it under load, I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks for the advice,

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

As far as the battery goes, it should be good. I have charged it, and it stays plugged in to a trickle charger all the time. I do have a load tester that will test it under load, I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Check it just to be sure....... I've seen a lot of batteries that should have been good......

Comment

• OliverClozoff
            • Jan 2019

After thinking about it all day at work I decided to take Tattoo's advice and start at the battery. It load tested just fine, but getting it up in the air and being able to really see the connections helped. There was a ground (white attached to negative terminal) that looked like it had gotten fairly hot and looked phuct up. So, I cut that off, soldered on a new connection, cleaned up all the other connections and buttoned her up. Everything seems fine now.

Sometimes it is the simplest, cheapest stuff that is the problem. Thanks for the help and advice.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Sometimes it is the simplest, cheapest stuff that is the problem. Thanks for the help and advice.

Your very welcome....... I always look at the easiest things first........... LOL Hell it's because it's easy..... LOL

Comment

• OliverClozoff
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                Your very welcome....... I always look at the easiest things first........... LOL Hell it's because it's easy..... LOL
                Ha, I need to work on that. I always think "worst case scenario" first.

Comment

• xcollinx
                  • Jul 2019

This is sounding too familiar right now. I have a 17 Iron 883 with 1200 conversion, as soon as I finished the conversion, remapped and got one 20 mile ride in and it will not consistently start anymore. I checked all wiring found no issues, replaced the battery no luck to start, when stock battery is in and charged completely turns over once then have to charge it again. Searched for parasite drain and nothing. Winter plan is to gut all wiring and switch to carb at this point, but still want to get this thing running for the rest of the time while I collect parts for the switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;