Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimberwolfFXDL
    • Nov 2013

Broken case...going to take some creativity to fix

Anyone ever run across this problem? Pulled the inner primary on dad's old FXR to reseal everything. It's been leaking forever between the engine case and the inner primary. Well, this is why... the piece was still there, but it was cracked to the point of it falling off as soon as I touched it.

I think I am going to take it to work and see if we can mount it on the mill. If I'm careful, it might even be able to be done without tearing the motor down very far. I want to mill a circle around where the lip should be and cut it about 1/4" deep or so. Then hopefully make a new one from aluminum and press it in place.

If that don't work...
    Last edited by TimberwolfFXDL; 04-19-2015, 3:51 PM.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

VT No: 16-0692
    Alternator repair steel ring.

Last edited by Dragstews; 04-19-2015, 5:05 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• TwoSheds
      • Nov 2012

There are gaskets available so a guy could just mill it flat "field expedient repair" cheap and easy maybe not the "correct" way but it works.

Comment

• panheadjess
        • Jan 2015

The way dragstew is recommending seems the best, although installing it without splitting cases would have to be pretty creative. I have used the repair gasket from James, if I didn't want to pull the engine and
        Split the cases, or just go to a dry primary and forget abut it. Here's the info on the gasket.

Comment

• panheadjess
          • Jan 2015

Check your tranny mount plate and see if it's loose, that or a wreck is usually what causes this.

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
            • Nov 2013

that repair ring is $150 though... ouch. I ran across that gasket kit as well... might just go that route instead.

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by panheadjess
              Check your tranny mount plate and see if it's loose, that or a wreck is usually what causes this.
              yeah, I am going over the whole thing bit by bit. Hasn't been on the road in 5 years or more. I found a lot of bolts had vibrated loose or completely missing. The motor was built pretty stout 15 years ago or so. Could be any number of reasons it got damaged, but thanks for the tip, I'll check it out as well.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

The steel ring install is not an easy fix to do....

Gutted the motor down to just the bare case, then a lathe with at least a 15" swing and four jaw chuck was used to do the cut..
                Left a tight fit and used two ton epoxy

Comment

• TimberwolfFXDL
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  The steel ring install is not an easy fix to do....

Gutted the motor down to just the bare case, then a lathe with at least a 15" swing and four jaw chuck was used to do the cut..
                  Left a tight fit and used two ton epoxy
                  I wouldn't even mess with doing it on a lathe. I'd index the case off the cam cover flange, and clamp it to the table of the mill. Find center of the circle by touching off the crankshaft snout, and then program the mill to cut a circle of the correct diameter. That way the table moves, not the engine. Should be able to be done without tearing down the motor much at all. Just needs some very thorough masking.

Comment

• panheadjess
                    • Jan 2015

Yeah, guess you could do it that way, the pinion shaft sticks out past the gasket surface though, so you'd have to set it up on some 123 blocks or something, then you couldn't get right over them to clamp straight down, I'm not much on "clamping over air" it tends to distort the heck out of the workpiece, especially when it's aluminum. If you're gong to do it in the mill why not just go ahead and split cases? I probably would anyway at this point, that way you know what you have. It takes what? An extra couple of hours, some case sealant, and a sprocketshaft seal? Then you can check your main bearings, and crank runout, and ride with confidence.

Comment

• panheadjess
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by TimberwolfFXDL
                      yeah, I am going over the whole thing bit by bit. Hasn't been on the road in 5 years or more. I found a lot of bolts had vibrated loose or completely missing. The motor was built pretty stout 15 years ago or so. Could be any number of reasons it got damaged, but thanks for the tip, I'll check it out as well.
                      If it hasn't been on the road for 5 years, I'd like to make sure there's no rust in the main bearings, especially if it was stored with used oil in it, combustion blowby creates acids in your oil, and moisture can condense in there over that much time.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

... Whoa ...

That gasket deal is sounding better by the moments...

Comment

• panheadjess
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
                          ... Whoa ...
                          That gasket deal is sounding better by the moments...

Yeah, I did one for a guy that didn't want to pay for the other way, it has a bunch of miles on it, and seems to be holding up well. Makes you feel a little dirty when your doing it though, standing there with an angle head die grinder and that goofy look on your face. 😜

Comment

• FooDog
                            • Feb 2014

Check out this video. FF to the 2 minute mark, they are repairing that spot

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by panheadjess

Makes you feel a little dirty when your doing it though, standing there with an angle head die grinder and that goofy look on your face. ��
                              As always.... Dumb looks are free....!!! ... ...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;