Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seaking
    • Jul 2013

[QUOTE=Tippyman;804243] My only fear is that with this frame the long front will just make it super low and long. QUOTE]

I don't think so, any inches you add to the front end will get the belly up higher than it sits now. I'd say extend the 35mm to your heart's content, however they flex. Even a 41mm stops acting like suspension and flex. Springers will flex. I like HD stock springers, the old extended sets are reasonable in $$$ compared to other options, and staying away from the aftermarket money trap, long waits, and possible breakage are a good reason to buy HD.

Focus on getting this thing running before winter. CV carbs do not have problems. My POS sportster sat for two years and it started right up, and that carb looks like downright garbage but works fine.

If the carb:

Doesn't puke gas.

Doesn't stop the bike running during warmup.

"Squirts" gas on blipping the throttle, the accelerator pump works.

Then I would move to the problem being the manifold, get the carb back on there and address that instead of buying a carb kit. Should you pull the bowl, I'd grind the tip off a Phillips a little bit to fit JIS type screws. Also impact drivers with a Phillips ground down help to get the screws off.

Once you get it down the road worry about the oil leaks.

Comment

• bpeak
      • Nov 2012

If you're really curious about the bike stance and geometry... I'd be willing to help out. Have done mock-ups in CAD for other CC members.

Mine when I was deciding the stance...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1306262

Another dude who was thinking about just doing longer forks...

Name:	Current - 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1306263

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1306264

The CAD lines aren't fully detailed out with every nut and bolt but close enough to know what you'd wanna do next. I can swap out different styles of front ends, lengths, tire/wheel combos, whatever.

Just let me know. Shoot me a PM or something. If you wanna go this route, I have a list of measurements you'll have to provide... and I'll turn around the linework. My treat. Cool part is I can then math out the actual trail too for real, not just guessing.

(PS - you scored an awesome donor bike. good work!)

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bpeak
        If you're really curious about the bike stance and geometry... I'd be willing to help out. Have done mock-ups in CAD for other CC members.

Mine when I was deciding the stance...
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]88599[/ATTACH]

Another dude who was thinking about just doing longer forks...
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]88600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88601[/ATTACH]

The CAD lines aren't fully detailed out with every nut and bolt but close enough to know what you'd wanna do next. I can swap out different styles of front ends, lengths, tire/wheel combos, whatever.

Just let me know. Shoot me a PM or something. If you wanna go this route, I have a list of measurements you'll have to provide... and I'll turn around the linework. My treat. Cool part is I can then math out the actual trail too for real, not just guessing.

(PS - you scored an awesome donor bike. good work!)
        Generous offer and a great way to KNOW instead of guess.

Comment

• Strangler
          • Mar 2015

Take this man up on his offer. Knowledge is good.

Comment

• seaking
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by farmall
            Generous offer and a great way to KNOW instead of guess.
            That's pretty sweet.

Comment

• Tippyman
              • Sep 2018

I’ve ordered a rebuild kit for the carb that includes the manifold seals, so that shouldn’t be an issue. The wet sumping is definitely what the oil leak is and I totally forgot about that. Der.

That’s an extremely generous offer bpeak!!! I shot you a PM, but feel free to email me at [email protected] , probably easier than PM’ing here. Very cool of you to do, this will save me more work and worry than you know.

I’m thinking to really get the look I want will need frame swapping, but seeing it drawn up will definitely let me determine before buying a springer and/or frame. Thanks so much!

Comment

• bpeak
                • Nov 2012

My pleasure. Email sent with the dimensions I need. Cheers!

Comment

• Luky
                  • May 2018

I would not take that carb all apart. It is not like a car.
                  It looks super clean and not gunKed up as you say.
                  Just remove the float bowl and make sure it is clear.
                  Remove the slow jet and look through it and make sure you can see sunlight .
                  Write down the size of main jet and slow(idle) jet.
                  It may not have the correct size jets for how the bike is set up. Exhaust and intake type.
                  Check the float level to make sure some one did not mess that up. Check it by looking at a shop
                  manual and not the internet. That is all you need to do.

Look to see if the pilot air screw is stock or has been unplugged and adjusted OR if it has the aftermarket pilot air screw with a knurled knob for easy adjustment.

Do not take it all apart! Don't make extra work and expense for yourself since you are a beginner.
                  Last edited by Luky; 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• bpeak
                    • Nov 2012

Got the dimensions about an hour ago. Just whipped up the basics. So for those curious... I sent Tippyman this image for the dimensions I needed:

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1306306

He sent me back a list of all 13 measurements. Then I cranked this:

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1306307

Doesn't look like much yet. But the bones are all there. All 13 distances are spot on. Now I can freehand the rest of the stuff that isnt so specific... like the tank, seat, fender, etc. For that I take a side photo, underlay it below the CAD linework, scale it to the right size, and trace all the minor junk. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll have the rest of the bike flushed out.

What I CAN confirm is that based on this math, the bike is sitting with a 9.5625" trail.

Cheers.

Comment

• Tippyman
                      • Sep 2018

BRO! You’re too much. That’s awesome!

Comment

• bpeak
                        • Nov 2012

Tip of the iceberg muh man. I went out to the garage and did some detailed measurements off my narrow 12 over springer so that I could draw it up. So I took the as-is bike from above, skipped recreating all the stuff you said youd take off anyway, and started adding the new.

So with a 12 over springer, just tacked on to the frame as it sits... and with the wheel/tire combo you noted... it'd look like this...

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1306313

It's a pretty long trail at 10.875". But that could be made to work with longer rockers. Or if you're up for it, as others have noted, you chop up the neck and rework the geometry a bit.

In my book, you leave the neck structure as-is... just add in some sheet metal to box in the odd splice job they did to rake it out... and then bondo it smooth. Make it a molded style chopper neck. That would clean up real easy and look slick.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bpeak
                          Got the dimensions about an hour ago. Just whipped up the basics. So for those curious... I sent Tippyman this image for the dimensions I needed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88654[/ATTACH]

He sent me back a list of all 13 measurements. Then I cranked this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88655[/ATTACH]

What I CAN confirm is that based on this math, the bike is sitting with a 9.5625" trail.

Cheers.
                          Tippyman,
                          Now can you post a sideshot photo that shows your bike just like the image that bpeak has "cranked" above...(in post#39)
                          Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-09-2018, 6:41 AM.
                          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tippyman
                            • Sep 2018

I sent him this one when i sent the measurements.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

Awesome. Are you sure there ain't a rake between that neck and forks - perhaps with raked cups? To me, with that photo, it almost looks like there may be raked cups in there. Can you confirm rake of the forks and rake of the neck with bike sitting level? BTW, that looks awesome - just go ridin! Have you put some miles on it yet?
                              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tippyman
                                • Sep 2018

Using my iphone angle tool, the neck and forks both have a 46* rake. That’s with the bike sitting on flat ground and tires properly inflated.

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                                BTW, that looks awesome - just go ridin! Have you put some miles on it yet?
                                Looks cool, but for me is so uncomfortable. No miles, but just sitting on it I was like nah, fuck this. Then again, I’m used to apes.
                                Last edited by Tippyman; 11-09-2018, 7:57 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;