X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huviduc24
    • May 2015

TECH: Make a hidden/remote master cylinder

Hello all,

Thought I would document how I set up my remote master cylinder setup for my VLX600. I am no expert by any means so there may be better ways to do this. As usual, i take no responsibility for what you do to your bike. This is simply documenting what i did.

1. Purchase used master cylinder on ebay (I spent $30 on an 09 Goldwing rear master cylinder with a brake sensor so i could remove the wiring from my bars)(ensure to pick a suitable size, do your research)
    2. Purchase levers (i bought 2 x SKU 007582 from Lowbrow)
    3. Find a cable ( I used a stock VLX600 clutch cable and clevis from the stock clutch arm) (Do NOT use throttle cables, they are not thick enough)
    4. Spend a stupid amount of time recreating the same brackets over and over with slightly different measurements until it works for your setup.
    5. Weld to frame, paint, and follow the tiny reservoir how-to
    6. You'll end up with something along these lines. It works great and doesn't feel noticeably different from stock.

IMG_20180211_141501 by huviduc, on Flickr
    IMG_20180211_170512 by huviduc, on Flickr
    IMG_20180211_170519 by huviduc, on Flickr
    IMG_20180309_173537 by huviduc, on Flickr
    IMG_20180506_163636 by huviduc, on Flickr
    IMG_20180608_153918 by huviduc, on Flickr
  • bobberadam
    • Jan 2011

Damn man, great job on this! This will be very helpful to many people. Good looking bike too.

Comment

• huviduc24
      • May 2015

Originally posted by bobberadam
      Damn man, great job on this! This will be very helpful to many people. Good looking bike too.
      Thanks man! Hopefully it'll help someone. I searched a lot prior to doing this and there isn't a lot out there with working pictures.

Comment

• 04Nighttrain
        • Mar 2013

Backbone Brakes

WOW! I can vouch for step #4. The old adage 'Measure twice - cut once' is so much bullshit here! I spent a week trying to get it where I liked it! Here's something I'm doing for my softail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5031.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1304325
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	1304326
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 04Nighttrain; 08-03-2018, 8:53 AM. Reason: adjust pics

Comment

• huviduc24
          • May 2015

Originally posted by 04Nighttrain
          WOW! I can vouch for step #4. The old adage 'Measure twice - cut once' is so much bullshit here! I spent a week trying to get it where I liked it! Here's something I'm doing for my softail.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86216[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]86217[/ATTACH]
          Nice man! should be a good place to hide it. Yeah i think i made each part 4 or 5 times. I may even go back and redo them in aluminum or stainless so they dont rust.

Comment

• 04Nighttrain
            • Mar 2013

How does it perform for you? I'm worried that I'll need Kung Fu muscle grip to work the lever.

Comment

• huviduc24
              • May 2015

Originally posted by 04Nighttrain
              How does it perform for you? I'm worried that I'll need Kung Fu muscle grip to work the lever.
              I honestly havent noticed a difference yet. It definitely isn't any harder to squeeze

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

It shouldn't be since the arm has mechanical advantage over the piston. For experimentation one could make an arm with multiple holes.

Lever classes explained:

Comment

• Avon
                  • Aug 2018

Originally posted by huviduc24
                  Hello all,

Thought I would document how I set up my remote master cylinder setup for my VLX600. I am no expert by any means so there may be better ways to do this. As usual, i take no responsibility for what you do to your bike. This is simply documenting what i did.

1. Purchase used master cylinder on ebay (I spent $30 on an 09 Goldwing rear master cylinder with a brake sensor so i could remove the wiring from my bars)(ensure to pick a suitable size, do your research)
                  2. Purchase levers (i bought 2 x SKU 007582 from Lowbrow)
                  3. Find a cable ( I used a stock VLX600 clutch cable and clevis from the stock clutch arm) (Do NOT use throttle cables, they are not thick enough)
                  4. Spend a stupid amount of time recreating the same brackets over and over with slightly different measurements until it works for your setup.
                  5. Weld to frame, paint, and follow the tiny reservoir how-to
                  6. You'll end up with something along these lines. It works great and doesn't feel noticeably different from stock.
                  That is one slick mod! And great looking bike. How about a diagram with some measurements to give those who want to go this route a jumping off point?

Comment

• Diogenes415
                    • Apr 2024

1970s BMWs had a nice compact cable actuated master cylinder that was mounted under the tank so that may be worth looking out for on the used/salvage parts market... or a design worth inspiration at least.

The lever arm's length can also be shortened yet retain a good MC to caliper ratio for good brake feel if the master cylinder's piston is one or two sizes smaller.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2018, 6:58 AM.

Comment

• huviduc24
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by Avon
                      That is one slick mod! And great looking bike. How about a diagram with some measurements to give those who want to go this route a jumping off point?
                      i can try to get rough measurements one of these days

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;