Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaycagney
    • Mar 2013

thanks man

tonights progress, straightened out that pipe, and took my old 12" apes and slimmed them up, pulled them back, and made them riserless. Just tacked so far, but I like the feel. I'm also slowly getting happier with my welds

Last edited by jaycagney; 01-14-2015, 7:46 AM.

Comment

• JuiceJames
      • Feb 2013

Is that the dual voltage longevity? How do you like it? Bike is looking rad.

Comment

• jaycagney
        • Mar 2013

it's the longevity 200sx, not sure if this is what you mean but it can run off of 110 or 220. I have it hooked up to only 110 at the moment but installing a new plug is on my to do list.

I don't have much to compare it to, it's the only tig welder I've ever used, and before that I used my friends lincoln mig. but I also have nothing to complain about, seems like it's got plenty of adjustability, and it's doing what I need it to do. plus the price was nice (relatively speaking)

Comment

• JuiceJames
          • Feb 2013

Yea that's what I meant. (110/220) I'm trying to decide of what to get for my first tig setup as well. I'm sick of cleaning spatter from my harbor freight flux core. haha. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• nomoney
            • Feb 2014

badass build man. Hopefully one day my welding skills will progress like yours lol.

How do you like that Weld on hard tail? I've wanted to hardtail my ironhead but my fab skills are minimal and the last thing I want is a crooked rear section. I've just been leery of a bolt on tail though. Any stretching of the bolts or anything?

Comment

• smaldick
              • Dec 2014

looking good.where are you in jersey? im in jersey Westville.if you need some shit text me...

Comment

• jaycagney
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by nomoney
                badass build man. Hopefully one day my welding skills will progress like yours lol.

How do you like that Weld on hard tail? I've wanted to hardtail my ironhead but my fab skills are minimal and the last thing I want is a crooked rear section. I've just been leery of a bolt on tail though. Any stretching of the bolts or anything?
                thanks, I feel like with how the david bird is setup its pretty hard to get it crooked. I've never tested it on a jig to see if its straight but it feels good to me. I think they were grade 8 bolts and I've never checked to see if they stretched but I more pictured them as a backup to my crappy weld job at the time. If I were to do it again I would go straight for the weld on, they look a lot better I think. maybe someday I'll hack apart the top triangle section of my bolt on and make it cleaner.

Originally posted by smaldick
                looking good.where are you in jersey? im in jersey Westville.if you need some shit text me...
                I'm in blairstown, so pretty far north west. thanks for the offer, shaping up pretty good at this point but who knows

Comment

• sdsbassist
                  • Jun 2014

Cool cool cool. I envy you!

Comment

• jaycagney
                    • Mar 2013

snagged this king and queen off chopperswapper, always wanted one, zip tied on for mockup. it now shows the top triangle from the david bird tail (between seat and tank) so I'm thinking of cutting all that off and extending the tail tubes to my backbone tube.

Comment

• turnandburrrn
                      • Aug 2014

Cool build man. What stretch and drop did you go with on the hardtail? Also, I noticed you didn't use that round oil tank you originally had mocked up, and went back to the original. How come?

Comment

• billybiltit
                        • Aug 2009

loved watching this evolve.

thanks for posting.

leon

Comment

• Mocnyang
                          • Feb 2014

Awsome story, even better sled, hard to believe you started this without ever working on bikes at all.

Hope your putting a ring on that finger, gotta keeper there.

Comment

• jaycagney
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by turnandburrrn
                            Cool build man. What stretch and drop did you go with on the hardtail? Also, I noticed you didn't use that round oil tank you originally had mocked up, and went back to the original. How come?
                            thanks, 4” stretch 2” drop. stayed with the original because at the time I felt routing oil lines was over my head, I had no idea how it worked. now I see it’s simple. I plan on trying to make my own horseshoe tank at some point

Originally posted by billybiltit
                            loved watching this evolve.

thanks for posting.

leon
                            thanks

Originally posted by Mocnyang
                            Awsome story, even better sled, hard to believe you started this without ever working on bikes at all.

Hope your putting a ring on that finger, gotta keeper there.
                            thanks, just have to stop spending money on my bike before that can happen. wait until you see her bike, it’s going to be awesome.

Comment

• jaycagney
                              • Mar 2013

my front brake project. I found through some searching a company that makes a 40mm OD 3/4” ID bearing, so I could keep my 3/4” axle with the hamburger drum. All I had to do was bore out the backing plate to 3/4, and make a new spacer for the inside (which I got help with).

my buddy Cal at Retrofit helped make some spacers to fit my drum onto my 35mm legs. he had these need bronze pieces laying around and I have a few brass things so we decided to use em.

I was so excited about his lathe I decided to buy one. a 9x36” south bend from the 20’s. old but works. first project I did on it was turning down my fork legs. previously I just used grinders and files but this method is way way cleaner. I also ended up shaving off the oil screw hole and filling that in.

Cal also made me this brake stay, which turned out pretty rad

did a few practice beads on a flat piece of metal, its my first time welding aluminum. all went well. tried to tack on the brake stay. all went horrible. little different trying to weld vertically, the filler kept running off like water. eventually got it tacked, and it wasn’t much easier to do on my beach. I eventually said fuck it and just globbed on an excessive amount of filler and figured I’d clean it up with a file and sand paper afterwards, which I did.

so now I have front brakes for the first time in over a year

also, here’s my girlfriends project-

’96 1200c with a 47 industries hard tail, shovel triple trees with ironhead 4 over forks, going to make her stock caliper work on the front so the bike still stops well. 21” evo wheel looks good inside those forks.
                              Last edited by jaycagney; 03-25-2015, 9:52 AM.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                                • Apr 2024

great work cleaning up that brake stay weld - looks killer. just bought a lathe myself... 1960 delta/rockwell - they're so fun. keep up the good work dude

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;