Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leucadiaguitars
    • Nov 2013

Look at my front end. It sucks what should I do? 1973 XLCH

OKay So it is a Wide Glide Dyna I am told. It has a shitty stopping ugly brake. with a dual disk hub and no mounts for a caliper on the right. I like Narrow 6over maybe 8, with a 21.
    Would the 41mm look good narrow?
    At the minimum I want a get a 21" single disk wheel what one would fit. What year could I get?

I guess I need to find out what size stem I have if I want to start over with a whole new Front End.

what size axle is in that Front End ? Anyone know what year it is?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	1340995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1340996
  • ridgerunner1965
    • Mar 2015

if you want easy id sell that fork and go with a 88 to 99 39mm narrow glide. buy whatever tubes you want new and add a internal fork stop.

get a good used 88 to 99 single caliper and 11.5 disc and install that.they stop great,really great!

polish the lowers.

its what i did to my 75 shovel. what a difference!

i piece parted mine together,looks like new with some work,stops great and rides great.

with the new chrome spoke wheel and new brake pads i think i may have 650$ in it.

Comment

• Benny74
      • Sep 2016

Personally, I think a 41mm is gonna look out of place on a sporty. As far as your neck cups, I would assume you have the conversion kit in there to run 1 inch stems, unless you had the stem turned down to the 7/8, which would be stock size for your bike. Why don't you just measure what you have instead of trying to guess what you have?

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by ridgerunner1965
        if you want easy id sell that fork and go with a 88 to 99 39mm narrow glide. buy whatever tubes you want new and add a internal fork stop.

get a good used 88 to 99 single caliper and 11.5 disc and install that.they stop great,really great!

polish the lowers.

its what i did to my 75 shovel. what a difference!

i piece parted mine together,looks like new with some work,stops great and rides great.

with the new chrome spoke wheel and new brake pads i think i may have 650$ in it.

Thanks why 88 to 99?

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Benny74
          Personally, I think a 41mm is gonna look out of place on a sporty. As far as your neck cups, I would assume you have the conversion kit in there to run 1 inch stems, unless you had the stem turned down to the 7/8, which would be stock size for your bike. Why don't you just measure what you have instead of trying to guess what you have?
          Thanks for the info.

I will measure. Much better idea.

Comment

• 53rigid
            • Mar 2010

I run wide glides on my ironheads all the time. If done right, it looks good. If you go that route, you will need the neck cup conversion. It also lengthens the distance for the Big twin stem to be used on your shorter sporty neck. 120 bucks and has the bearings, races and cups. I got mine from TC Bros.

Comment

• ridgerunner1965
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by leucadiaguitars
              Thanks why 88 to 99?

you know rite now i cant remember why. at the time i researched and that was what i came up with that would fit the best on my 75 shovel. mite of been stem diameter, i really dont remember. over on the shovel site lots of guys have done it with the 88 to 99 forks.

what i do know is that it was one of the best upgrades i ever did to my shovel.ride and handleing is perfect. the single 11.5 disc with the newer sporty caliper stops very well. prob 75% better than the dual shovel 10" teardrop calipers.

with the addition of a jaybrake rear caliper and some progressive rear shocks the shuv rides like a modern bike.

Comment

• BrokenSprocketGarage
                • Dec 2012

Change the wheel to a spool hub 21". Done.

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by ridgerunner1965
                  you know rite now i cant remember why. at the time i researched and that was what i came up with that would fit the best on my 75 shovel. mite of been stem diameter, i really dont remember. over on the shovel site lots of guys have done it with the 88 to 99 forks.

what i do know is that it was one of the best upgrades i ever did to my shovel.ride and handleing is perfect. the single 11.5 disc with the newer sporty caliper stops very well. prob 75% better than the dual shovel 10" teardrop calipers.

with the addition of a jaybrake rear caliper and some progressive rear shocks the shuv rides like a modern bike.
                  Right on Sounds like a Dream ride!

I picked up a front end and a couple wheels. I figure the 88 to 99 fork will have the right mounts for the good caliper..

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by BrokenSprocketGarage
                    Change the wheel to a spool hub 21". Done.
                    my back brake is good. so yeah thats an option.

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by 53rigid
                      I run wide glides on my ironheads all the time. If done right, it looks good. If you go that route, you will need the neck cup conversion. It also lengthens the distance for the Big twin stem to be used on your shorter sporty neck. 120 bucks and has the bearings, races and cups. I got mine from TC Bros.
                      Yeah that's what I have now. I like the narrow look but I plan to save all that so I can go back if I need to.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                        • Nov 2013

Hey So anybody know what size spacer to replace speedo drive for a 35mm Front End. 74-77 oh I am running a 77-83 wheel..

Comment

• Benny74
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by leucadiaguitars
                          Hey So anybody know what size spacer to replace speedo drive for a 35mm Front End. 74-77 oh I am running a 77-83 wheel..
                          When you start bastardizing things like that you may need to cut a spacer specifically for your application. I know there are several spacers readily available, but most of those are for direct fit applications, not chopped bikes, ya know?

Also if you're looking to switch up the front wheel, remember there is always the option to run a mini drum to keep clutter down. I know its not "chopper" to run a front brake, but would you rather be cool, or be able to stop?

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Benny74
                            When you start bastardizing things like that you may need to cut a spacer specifically for your application. I know there are several spacers readily available, but most of those are for direct fit applications, not chopped bikes, ya know?

Also if you're looking to switch up the front wheel, remember there is always the option to run a mini drum to keep clutter down. I know its not "chopper" to run a front brake, but would you rather be cool, or be able to stop?
                            Yeah I am not that cool . I like my brake. This bike is right shift so muscle memory is all off down low. The front (hand) brake is a must. As far as I can tell this is a 74 - 77 fork with 1" stem. I have a wide glide now soo I will use the adapter kit that is on the bike now. The wheel I bought is a 77 to 83 21" I think.. so had to get the 10.5" rotor and I am running a GMA caliper.. I think with the spacer I have install on the left in the photo and the mount from the caliper bracket I may just a small washer sized spacer..
                            any advice is welcomed.. I know I could have gone an easier rout but this is how it is going..

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	1294497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1294498Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1294499Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1294500

Comment

• leucadiaguitars
                              • Nov 2013

I think this hub is too wide.

Or I Don't know what the fuck I AM Doing!

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1295223Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1295224Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0656.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB