Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adammoto
    • Jun 2018

Chopper dies when hot

Ok so I got my hands on a chopper that was sitting for 6 years got it started changed oil and it ran perfect for quite awhile. It also has a Ultima motor, but now I can’t ride it for more then 6 minutes or just randomly without it turning off. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and it cranked right up, drives a couple of feet but dies again shortly after. Does this every time I ride it. Noticed a small tranny leak today haven’t checked if it’s low but don’t think that would cause it to just stall while I’m driving it. Very frustrated because the bike runs good and starts right up when cold. Any help would be nice thanks!
    Attached Files
  • tedjames
    • Jul 2013

id check the carb first, see if anything is clogged

Comment

• Luky
      • May 2018

Originally posted by Adammoto
      Ok so I got my hands on a chopper that was sitting for 6 years got it started changed oil and it ran perfect for quite awhile. It also has a Ultima motor, but now I can’t ride it for more then 6 minutes or just randomly without it turning off. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and it cranked right up, drives a couple of feet but dies again shortly after. Does this every time I ride it. Noticed a small tranny leak today haven’t checked if it’s low but don’t think that would cause it to just stall while I’m driving it. Very frustrated because the bike runs good and starts right up when cold. Any help would be nice thanks!
      What state are you located in?
      If you are in California there is a percentage of ethanol in the gasoline and if the bike has been sitting the ethanol enhanced fuel collects moisture.

The transmission leak is a separate problem.

If the motorcycle is NOT in California and the bike has been sitting, you still need to check the idle jet to make sure it is not clogged with water or gooey fuel residue.
      Not wanting to run when hot is usually a sign of a lean condition.

You also need to check if the jetting of the carb is correct for the type of air filter and exhaust that you have. But if it was running properly before this long storage occurred then skip the jet size investigation.
      And just to cover all, look the bike over very well for rat nests if it was stored in a out door situation.
      Like in the air filter?
      Last edited by Luky; 06-25-2018, 1:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Adammoto
        • Jun 2018

I’m located in Texas but the bike was originally from Illinois 6 years ago. And if the jetting was the issue or clogged idle jet wouldn’t the bike have gave me problems from the get go. That’s the first thing I did was clean the carb and it rode fine for quite awhile this problem just started happening so that’s why I’m really confused anything else you can think of?

Comment

• Adammoto
          • Jun 2018

It also idles fine no problems at all.

Comment

• Andy99
            • May 2015

Try running it up the road with the fuel cap slightly loose. Sometimes the little breather hole in fuel tank caps becomes blocked and fuel won’t flow freely to carb causing it to cut out

Comment

• Bulpitt
              • Dec 2010

My bike used did this when the Ignition Module failed. It worked fine until the IM got hot, then died. I'd let it sit for30 minutes & it would be fine again until the IM got hot and it would die.

Comment

• Adammoto
                • Jun 2018

Andy99 I’ve removed the fuel line from the fuel filter as soon as it’s shut off before, and the gas seemed to be flowing fine. Although I am going to check the fuel cap breather hole.

Comment

• Adammoto
                  • Jun 2018

And is their any way to check the ignition module bulpitt?

Comment

• Bulpitt
                    • Dec 2010

Ive heard you can do it but it's a PITA. I had the stock one laying around so I swapped it & when it worked, I just replaced the bad Dynatek. Sorry I can't be of more help

Comment

• WillSCB
                      • Dec 2014

I would try to narrow it down to a fuel or ignition problem. To my thinking, if it is running well until it gets hot, it is probably ignition. Run it until it gets hot, then check to see if you have spark. Disconnect a plug wire, put spark plug in it and ground it on engine block. If you have a fat, blue, healthy spark, it is most likely a fuel system problem. If spark is weak or no spark, you have an ignition problem. A lot of times a weak coil will not work once it gets hot. If you have no spark, I would check the coil first. Look up the specs for the coil on the bike, and test it with a multimeter. If you have no spark, and the coil checks out good, you most likely have a bad module or ignition pickup. Good luck.

Comment

• DustyDave
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

I usually clip one of these on the easiest to see plug then put the plug wire on it. Adjust it just wide enough to have a visible spark. Go for a ride and you know if the spark quit or not.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	thexton404_zpse1caa8b6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	1303522
                        Dusty
                        Driving that train, high on cocaine
                        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• andri
                          • Mar 2012

I'd lean against ignition as well. Be it th coil or the module it self.
                          Do you know what ignition you are running?

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by andri
                            Do you know what ignition you are running?

Ultima I bet.....

Comment

• rockman96
                              • May 2018

When I read your post, my first thought was "coil". When it shuts down, does it simple die, or start popping and running like shit and then die?

The leak has nothing to do with it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;