Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbonate
    • Sep 2010

shovelhead cam suggestions

i have a 74" 72 shovelhead, .010 over, i'm going to mill the heads just enough to true them up, and zero deck the stock compression pistons. it's going in a 72 round swingarm frame, not many extras, so it should be fairly light, i will gear the shit out of it ( i like to fly on the interstates) 4 speed with 24/46 sprocket combo, carb is undecided as of now. what would be a cam that would give me a big fat torque curve in the lower to mid range? thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • BullDog
    • Aug 2009

Hey Nate, not to change the subject on you but I'm running a 23/47 setup on my 80 incher and it's a chore sometimes taking off (loaded down with a pack, tent, bullshit).

Comment

• cntrhub
      • Apr 2024

Hey, I've got an old piece of shit bike I have no clue of it's history way back in '74. I haven't taken the engine down yet, nor did I check the valve guides. I'm just saying, I have no clue how much went into a do the math kind of pile of shit parts all worn out and I am going to stress the shit out of it with a cam.

Now, maybe I did have the bottom end rebuilt, but now I am going to deck the halls and shit. That cam has a higher lift kind of have to be all that fast shit bike kind of now take some deck off and lower that head to the piston kind of I have to change my 10 over pistons to deeper valve pockets or I'm going to bend some worn valves and guides I haven't taken apart and matched that against the book I want cam first.

Before I do anything, I wonder if I had my small end bearings done when I had the pistons bored. I've heard some wild build stories so this asshole is assuming this is and old pile that needs a tone of shit done unless it was a barn find with a few 1000 miles on it. Some shovels should never be touched by humans. Better a monkey would know better. Hope your shovel is better off than mine. Recognize these? Butchered Bikers Breedgay'did he did. Someone shoved my threads all up!

Comment

• pop
        • Apr 2011

iam running a j-4 just give them a call monday and they will set you up

Comment

• turbonate
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by cntrhub
          Hey, I've got an old piece of shit bike I have no clue of it's history way back in '74. I haven't taken the engine down yet, nor did I check the valve guides. I'm just saying, I have no clue how much went into a do the math kind of pile of shit parts all worn out and I am going to stress the shit out of it with a cam.

Now, maybe I did have the bottom end rebuilt, but now I am going to deck the halls and shit. That cam has a higher lift kind of have to be all that fast shit bike kind of now take some deck off and lower that head to the piston kind of I have to change my 10 over pistons to deeper valve pockets or I'm going to bend some worn valves and guides I haven't taken apart and matched that against the book I want cam first.

Before I do anything, I wonder if I had my small end bearings done when I had the pistons bored. I've heard some wild build stories so this asshole is assuming this is and old pile that needs a tone of shit done unless it was a barn find with a few 1000 miles on it. Some shovels should never be touched by humans. Better a monkey would know better. Hope your shovel is better off than mine. Recognize these? Butchered Bikers Breedgay'did he did. Someone shoved my threads all up!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/shoveled.jpg
          hey einstien, did it ever occur to you that maybe i'm actually pretty sharp on engines? i know what i'm doing, and what i'm looking at. i've been a mechanic (for a living) for almost three decades now, not to mention all my racing exploits( in which i ALWAYS built my own engines),so you'll have to forgive me if i don't relay every tiny detail of my engine build for you to critique, nor do i really feel the need to post my resume' to prove my credibility. so how about shutting the fuck up, getting off my thread, and letting people that are capable of forming and typing a comprehensible sentence offer me advice on camshafts, thank you in advance for your cooperation. dickhead.

EDIT: i decided to post a couple of videos of my home built and home turbo'd drag car that i built everything on, up to and including the suspension, engine,carb, trans, rear end housing, all of it. i managed to make 2.68 hp/ci from an iron headed 357ci small block, and won three consecutive track championships in heads up competetion, undefeated for one of them, not because i feel like i have anything to prove mind you, but simply because i'm quite proud of the things i build, and have built.

Flyinhillbilly's Dyno Run. 639 rwhp @ 18.6 PSI
          Last edited by turbonate; 07-11-2011, 8:05 AM.

Comment

• panmaster
            • Dec 2010

viva la turbonate !!!

thanks for finally answering that nitwit like he should be , that jerkoff hijacks too many threads with his jibberish nonsence , and the one time in a hundred that he does make a valid point is lost on us skipping over his posts has become a too regular task

as far as cam i've used quite a few andrews a , ab , and bh cams with great success in motors for customers

Comment

• turbonate
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by panmaster
              as far as cam i've used quite a few andrews a , ab , and bh cams with great success in motors for customers
              thanks, what i'm after is a ton of low end/ lower mid range torque so i can run stupid high gears and get away with it (i hope anyway). not looking for anything fast, lopey, or otherwise gnarly, just a good solid low rpm touring style camshaft.

Comment

• cntrhub
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by turbonate
                hey einstien, did it ever occur to you that maybe i'm actually pretty sharp on engines?
                I only choose threads I know a little about. Basically, there are only two types of cams. Stock and all out lift. So if you made that riding list you do not want it loppy sloppy loading up because it is like a race horse with the cam filling up and you are out putting around with a hot cam?

I suggest you run stock for your street riding list. I see no other way out is a grunt bike all well tuned stock. And I have no clue why you are picking on me when I do not post like others. Once you see that big dig swinger singer come flying in, skip over me.

I have a few guys that like reading my shit. Let me ask you a question... Answer me with all that mechanical crap behind you and all that rez you may show your shit and I can't show mine? You sound like the wife with a laundry list I need to follow.

Follow this. I ported my head, run a better flowing air cleaner, polished my venturi and throttle plate all glass finish. How much more flow into the engine do you think I made and you want a cam without that work first?

Say yes or no so we make this real simple to follow. Will porting throw in more air if I buy some mild cam to do the same thing. So, yes or no, more air if I port or more air if I cam up and now say a simple yes or no read it carefully.

Comment

• turbonate
                  • Sep 2010

I only choose threads I know a little about. Basically, there are only two types of cams. Stock and all out lift. So if you made that riding list you do not want it loppy sloppy loading up because it is like a race horse with the cam filling up and you are out putting around with a hot cam?

I suggest you run stock for your street riding list. I see no other way out is a grunt bike all well tuned stock. And I have no clue why you are picking on me when I do not post like others. Once you see that big dig swinger singer come flying in, skip over me.

I have a few guys that like reading my shit. Let me ask you a question... Answer me with all that mechanical crap behind you and all that rez you may show your shit and I can't show mine? You sound like the wife with a laundry list I need to follow.

Follow this. I ported my head, run a better flowing air cleaner, polished my venturi and throttle plate all glass finish. How much more flow into the engine do you think I made and you want a cam without that work first?

Say yes or no so we make this real simple to follow. Will porting throw in more air if I buy some mild cam to do the same thing. So, yes or no, more air if I port or more air if I cam up and now say a simple yes or no read it carefully.
                  look, you obviously don't know shit from ice cream regarding camshafts, there are a million different variations on lift,lobe centerlines, duration, opening ramp angles, closing ramp angles,(not to mention take up and let down ramps angles on solid lifter cams) intake and exaust centerlines,lobe seperation angles, hell, you can make a big difference by simply retarding or advancing your cam just a few degrees.any of these factors will change the peak tq and hp rpm's, not to mention output, i've had cams custom ground to my specs several times and made the kind of power that a lot of pro engine builders strive for. you're in over your head here cupcake, you are talking to a man that has devoted his entire life to understanding the internal combustion engine, you can't tell me anything about an engine that i don't already know.

[/url]
                  picking on you? you called my bike a piece of shit, and called me an asshole,and just assumed that i was whacking a big nasty cam in an old worn out engine, which is not the case, how about a big ol' home cooked double serving of fuck you? you have nothing to say that interests me, you are simply a waste of good bandwidth to me.

furthermore, you are a fool if you did a glass smooth polish job on your ports, you want a surface with some sanding scratches on it. ever hear of a boundary layer? i have, the guy who taught me to port heads taught me about it, he learned about it when he worked for kenny bernstien.

go fuck up other people's threads, i'm legitimately looking for advice here from guys that ride shovelheads, and have real world experience with which cams do what..

Comment

• cntrhub
                    • Apr 2024

You keep on bragging about your shit and can you work a few degrees only say? So is not a stock cam and any other lobe lift is just that. You can have so much lift for race or performance so are we back again to some sort of open and close degrees we are stuck with?

Boundary layer this for me... With all that porting and cam work did we shove more air in the chamber when all is said and done is all I am asking.

Comment

• turbonate
                      • Sep 2010

You keep on bragging about your shit and can you work a few degrees only say? So is not a stock cam and any other lobe lift is just that. You can have so much lift for race or performance so are we back again to some sort of open and close degrees we are stuck with?

Boundary layer this for me... With all that porting and cam work did we shove more air in the chamber when all is said and done is all I am asking.
                      i started this thread to get advice on a shovelhead, you are the one that questioned my knowledge and ability, since we're on the subject of bragging, let's see some proof of all your iom exploits, because you sure brag up a storm about that, and if you are undefeated as you have stated elsewhere, then i'm sure we shouldn't have any trouble finding documentation from an independent source to back up your claims. i've already more than proven my competence regarding mechanical ability. the ball is in your court now hoss, i'm sure with the shit you've slung at others regarding proof, you shouldn't have any issue with following your own advice.

just so you know, i am doing a bit of head work, nothing major though, just a little pocket work, 30 degree back cut on the valves, and moving the valve seats a bit closer to the edge of the valves, and profiling the valve guides. none of which will affect my camshaft selection. now please get the fuck off of this thread so i can get real world advice from guys that ride shovels instead of the bunch of jibberish that we are now being subjected to since they obviously now have internet in the special needs classroom.

Comment

• cntrhub
                        • Apr 2024

I asked if your 5-angle valve job will push more air into the chamber along with the porting... Simply say yes or no. It's that simple a concept.

Comment

• turbonate
                          • Sep 2010

I asked if your 5-angle valve job will push more air into the chamber along with the porting... Simply say yes or no. It's that simple a concept.
                          it all depends on your surface finish, how you profiled your short turn radius, what you did with your valve guides, and seat area. it's pretty easy to hurt flow with a port job if you don't know what you're doing, and if you think a mirror finish is good, then i would be willing to bet that your port job is actually shit, but without seeing it in person, there's no way to know for sure.

now, how about those isle of man credentials? yes or no.

Comment

• cntrhub
                            • Apr 2024

When I say "DO NOT RESUSCITATE" on my leathers... You are going to have to win it real bad from me is take you out is watch the fuck out you come get some, hear!

Comment

• cntrhub
                              • Apr 2024

I said I never went but was in practice for it. One more time... Are you throwing more air into the chamber as you port and cut the valve circle closer to the chamber kind of moves yes or no?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;