CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Motorcycles Really are the center of it all!

This thread is about the magical powers motorcycles have to find their way back to you or cause you to encounter people from earlier in its life.

I have encountered many 2-wheeled objects of desire that unite people, times and places in a way that few other things on the planet can. It’s these well ridden machines that speak to me more than any shiny new bike ever could. They remind me its more than just the way I feel when I ride that keeps me in the wind but also the people and places my bikes take me to.

Have you got a bike that has come back to you? Or came to you under strange circumstances, or caused you to meet people from earlier in its life?

I'm hoping some guys that care to see this place be filled with more than mudslinging and hate chime in with some cool stories about bikes they have owned or maybe even ones they are trying to meet again.

Everyone in this "community" is a content creator, and I sure would like to see us live up to that name "community" more than any other forum full of dick measuring and insults being hurled from behind key boards.The Junk pile is for that shit but lets set up our game on comments on features and in the main forums.

Long Live CC

-Bear
    Last edited by Eloso; 02-18-2014 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Get Adobe Flash player

Few months back I rolled into a gas station on the Cb400. As I'm filling the little tank, and old guy walks past, stops, turns around and his eyes welled up a little.
    He smiled and says, nice bike....Honda? I said yup, and he says.

"Years ago I had a cb750 in a denvers frame with a twisted springer. 14 over and kick only. I rode that everywhere, everyday, up until I crippled my ass up. And my dumbshit kids sold it on me, instead of keeping it and riding it. I think someone stripped it down and built some piece of shit billet barge out of it.
    I'll never talk to those shits again."

I kind of chuckled, put the gas cap on, and kicked it over, the old guys had made his way over to his truck, and as I let out the foot clutch his eyes lit up, and I nodded to him and off I went.

I bump into him every once in a while,. Despite the generation gap, (he's almost old enough to be my grandfather), we've always got something to say.
    One of these days I'm gonna take that old fuck for a drink and listen to some stories, hes one of those guys you just know has a head full.

I realize its not about someone coming back to their bike, but I dont buy built bikes, and I dont leave them as is, so I'llnever have those stories. But that little honda gets nods, I've had people drive on the sidewalk to get beside me and talk, people smile and wave, or they yell at me about how evil I must be. Either way, it seems to get to the root of who someone is, just by rolling past on the throttle and grabbing another gear.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Eloso View Post
    This thread is about the magical powers motorcycles have to find their way back to you or cause you to encounter people from earlier in its life.

I have encountered many 2-wheeled objects of desire that unite people, times and places in a way that few other things on the planet can. It’s these well ridden machines that speak to me more than any shiny new bike ever could. They remind me its more than just the way I feel when I ride that keeps me in the wind but also the people and places my bikes take me to.

Have you got a bike that has come back to you? Or came to you under strange circumstances, or caused you to meet people from earlier in its life?

I'm hoping some guys that care to see this place be filled with more than mudslinging and hate chime in with some cool stories about bikes they have owned or maybe even ones they are trying to meet again.

Everyone in this "community" is a content creator, and I sure would like to see us live up to that name "community" more than any other forum full of dick measuring and insults being hurled from behind key boards.The Junk pile is for that shit but lets set up our game on comments on features and in the main forums.

Long Live CC

-Bear
    Hell yeah man, love this site, its helped me all along the way of 3 of my builds now.

I got my bike in a shitty circumstance, It was willed to me when my dad passed away. But up until that point i couldnt have cared less how to work on bikes but pops loved it. To keep a long story short it, so many unanswered questions were answered in the building and breaking and rebuilding of my first bike, and although i have contemplated it more than once, ill never sell it.

Ive seen a few of these threads get shut down in the past but i hope that they end up realizing that this is the stuff that people like to read about and this is the kind of stuff that turns good sites into great ones.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Lead by example...

Quote Originally Posted by shovelpan69 View Post
    I've seen a few of these threads get shut down in the past but i hope that they end up realizing that this is the stuff that people like to read about and this is the kind of stuff that turns good sites into great ones.
    Yah being part of the "community" is more than throwing out BS one liners liners to stir the pot. I hope more guys step up with stories, tech tips, how too's or anything that is more articulate than calling a dude a homo for the kind of pants he wears or doesn't wear.

Keep the bike stories coming.

-Bear

Photo by Mikey Arnold

Get Adobe Flash player

Last month I picked up an 81 Ironhead that I've been after for about 4 years or so. Bike didn't exactly "come back" to me but it has history and I've wanted it for a while.

Previous owner is a guy in my neighborhood and he bought the bike in the mid-80's. Put some miles on it and enjoyed it until he got into a pretty bad wreck on it in the late 90's. Bike was mostly fine other than the usual bits, but the rider took all the damage, multiple compound fractures and many, many surgeries. I've known the guy for about 12 years or so now but he didn't realize that I was into bikes until 4-5 years ago and then he started telling me road stories about his Harley. Usual "grey beard" stuff about running off the road at night while stoned in the desert, wacked-out camping trips in New Mexico etc. Eventually he showed me the bike after he dug it out from under a mountain of crap in his garage and I knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it. Most of it appeared to be there although it wasn't all together. Bike hadn't been running in years and I told him that when he finally decided that he was never getting it back on the road to let me know and I'd make him an offer.

So, at least 2-3 times a year, every year since then I've busted his nuts about the Ironhead and threw out progressively lower offers on it, just to get a rise out of him. He would tell me that he wanted $3,500 for it, I would come back and offer $700. He would stop by the garage and have a beer and talk bikes with me, share more stories etc.

The week of Christmas (2013, couple months ago, ya know) my buddy shows up on the driveway and says something like, "I finally came to the realization that I don't need to be riding bikes and I'm not going to get that Harley back on the road. I hate to get rid of it and I know that you'll appreciate it and give it a good home."

A couple days later, a friend and I pieced it back together enough to roll it out of the garage and I handed the now "previous owner" every penny of his final asking price...$500.

Bike is under "re-construction" right now. Something about "barn/garage" finds just seems to get the gears turning for guys like us, doesn't it?

Last edited by Nosebleed; 02-18-2014 at 3:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by spidr View Post
    I realize its not about someone coming back to their bike,
    If you ever see a bike that fits his description make damn sure you take a cellphone pic and try to find out who owns it.. just maybe you could bring the old guy back to his bike.
    I'm sure he'd be jazzed to know that you 're watching for bikes that are 'candidates."
    Last edited by davidabl; 02-18-2014 at 2:27 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Only person my bike matters to is me, and I'm just fine with that. Also helped me re-find myself.

When I was 20 or so, I did a lot of welding and art, and had an interest in (and owned) motorcycles. I went through a long downtime and lost most of that stuff due to theft and time, and just got back on my feet in the last 5 years, and am back at my original younger interests from a new 'do it for yourself, not to sell' angle. Never had the guts to cut an weld on a bike before, but I ended up buying some real cheap ones that mostly run, so I figured why not take a shot? To me its just as much 'art' as the tables and lighting fixtures I used to sell were, but is more challenging, and I don't need to make anybody but myself happy with how it looks / works.
    Last edited by 53Bash; 02-18-2014 at 9:32 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by davidabl View Post
    If you ever see a bike that fits his description make damn sure you take a cellphone pic and try to find out who owns it.. just maybe you could bring the old guy back to his bike.
    I'm sure he'd be jazzed to know that you 're watching for bikes that are 'candidates."
    I'm always on the lookout for cool old shit

Old boys like that are a dead breed around here though. Its sad. Trying to raise some new blood in my kids, maybe they'l appreciate them like I do.

Get Adobe Flash player

i guess i have a few stories. one of them comes from my 1975 xs 650. my dad had it when it was new. he was something like 22 years old when he bought it, and he and my mother rode 1600 miles up into canada and such on it. she said never again, but dad kept it and put 20k miles on it. he eventually got an 850 special triple and stored the bike. when i was something like 22 years old, he gave me the bike, the title, and a picture of him, me, and my brother in 1987 (i was 3)

after cleaning it up and kicking it six times, i was riding it down the street, and my old man was picking his jaw up off the driveway so he could take it for a ride. the thing looks new, and gets tons of attention.

the other one is his 1980 YZ 465 which is about to be given to me as well. good thing my brother isnt into bikes. ha

HDFXDBMC

My old mans friend used to race superbikes back in the day at a professional level. Got married, had kids and gave it up. After the kiddies grew up, he went on a bike hunt and found two of his old race bikes and bought them back. He now races them in the vintage class with a sidecar partner. Pretty badass old guy. Full of cool old stories. Don't see him much, but when I do what a treat!!

Get Adobe Flash player

When I was rideing my cm 250 around a old lady came up and started talking to me telling me a story of how she had a honda 90 and rode it to alaska camping the whole way with her friend and all their camping gear on it she said she had to be carefull as it wanted to pull wheelies with everything loaded on the back, people thought it was quite somthing as the dude rode on the back and she drove, she told of a number of experinces they had on their trip and how the guy was passed on now, no biker stories just a cool old lady and her love for her honda 90 and her deceased friend..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    When I was rideing my cm 250 around a old lady came up and started talking to me telling me a story of how she had a honda 90 and rode it to alaska camping the whole way with her friend and all their camping gear on it she said she had to be carefull as it wanted to pull wheelies with everything loaded on the back, people thought it was quite somthing as the dude rode on the back and she drove, she told of a number of experinces they had on their trip and how the guy was passed on now, no biker stories just a cool old lady and her love for her honda 90 and her deceased friend..
    LOL The love of the road is a universal part.
    I'm glad the haters didn't manage to kill this thread out of the gate! We got a few gems already.
    Thanks for the posts keep them coming its nice to see people take the time to engage their fellow users and not just sling pictures of rainbow colored penises at each other from the safety of their parents basement.

LOL

Keep It real bros.

-Bear

Get Adobe Flash player

Best story I have is trading bikes with a dude in sacramento. A while later, I was at an event and this guy walks up and asks about the bike, if I had gotten it from so and so. I had. Then he told me he was the one that had pulled it (literally) out of a farm in the small town I had grown up in (but had moved 300 miles away about 15 years prior).

Get Adobe Flash player

Not a story about my bike really, but about the parts Ive used.

One day my buddy and I were hunting around the local flea market looking for odds and ends for my to make forwards, hand shifter, etc out of. I had a handful of random junk, railroad spikes, old wrenches, meat hooks, etc. The vendor was was probably around 7o asked what I was doing with it. When I told him he got all jazzed up and started telling us about a rigid pan he had back in the day with apes, springer, and hand shift. His story was complete with him showing me the motions of revving his throttle, hand shifting and engine noises. Just listening to him got me as stoked up as he was.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Making Memories

Growing up my family didn't have much in the way of extra stuff even though my old man worked his butt off for the local phone company. My folks adopted my little cousins due some family insanity that involves a story probably better suited for a campfire and that left us with less. Quite a few cousins had bikes and I was always dying to ride them. It killed me not having one. One day the old man comes rollin' down the road on some piece of a Honda 50 with the hopes of getting it running for us. Pretty sure he got it for free somehow but unfortunately it sat behind a shed and I still remember sitting on it making the noises my boys(and maybe sometimes me)make when they are sitting on a bike I am working on.
    Well fortunately for me things worked out a little better for me and my three sons and we have had a little extra scratch over the years to have a bike or two. Up until now we have never ground up built a bike but last year we decided it was time. We scoured craigslist and eBay until we located a deal on an XS650. My oldest son and I headed out with the hopes of bringing what would come to be known as "the champ" home. Fortunately for us the old boy we got it from was a pretty good guy and liked the idea of the boys and I building a bike together. We ended up trading him an old Remington .22 rifle which we never shot(because we have a crap ton of other guns) and $200. The whole way home we were excited. Me just as much as them knowing the memories we would be making. One day maybe my boys will be posting here about working with their old man on a chopper and telling this same story. By then the story, if its anything like our fishing stories, will be much more embellished and unbelievably captivating. I hope if they are on here one day that these are the types of threads that they run into instead of the ones that keep me of off here the majority of my time. Good ole motorcycle stories, yup, thats what we need. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the bike in this story was picked as one of the 12 Greasy dozen bikes for 2014. Long live the GD!

Mean Muggin'…Not sure why everyone always looks pissed in the magazines but we decided to follow suit.

Start at the stand and work your way up

My middle boy and I getting' ready to cut her in half

Everybody gets a chance…my eight year old soda blasting some wheels

Currently

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

thats awesome man

Get Adobe Flash player

Growing up I remember a couple times seeing this badass Honda CM450 twin chopper run around town. Rigid frame, springer front end, long, beautiful bright yellow screaming machine. I'm in my early 50's now and was visiting a friend who was very ill. we went out in the garage to have a smoke and there it was. Neglected, flat rotting tires, paint cracked and oxidized, chrome all rusty. So I asked my friend "Rick, that is old school freakin' cool. What are you going to do with it?" He said a lot of people had offered decent money for it because they wanted to part it out, but he didn't want to see that happen. After me telling him it should be fixed up and ridden again, he asked if I would really do it. F*ck yeah!! it's now in the process of coming back to life. I hope to ride it this summer if I don't get stuck working too much overtime to work on it. $600 for a bike that a lot of people have seen and started telling me more stories about it was a hell of an investment to me. Rick passed away so now I'll never sell it, but it's part of the "collection" that always starts conversations whether on a trailer when I move, or sitting in front of the garage.

Get Adobe Flash player

Forgot the picture..

Get Adobe Flash player

Pics?

Nevermind, you beat me to it. Thats badass.

Get Adobe Flash player

Seeing the family involvement stuff gets me motivated, I can't wait till my kid is old enough to get started. Growing up my dad never had anything like this going on. When it came to anything mechanical he was pretty lost, everything I've learned was from friends dads or on my own, I'll be damned if my kid ends up having to do the same. I love the old 450 Hondas, my wife had a CMX450 that I'd planned on redoing with my son when he was older, now we're on the hunt for another mid sized bike.

Share This