X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • venhillusa
    • May 2012

Advice for Cable Supplier

Hi all,

I hope this post isn't too commercial. We are readying "universal" cable kits for American fitments and would like to know how to package the small parts for best use by the builder community. Specifically, we would like to know what to include as the bent ferrules (metal tubes) for throttle cables. Here is what we understand:

There are two attachment methods of cables for American (Harley/1 inch bar) throttle controls, one with threads and one with spring clips. We are able to offer 45 degree and 90 degree bends in both threaded and spring clip designs.

We would like to know if builders would prefer to buy kits that included only/exactly the bends they want/need, or if the kits should include a variety of bends. The options we are currently discussing are:

Kits with ONLY 45 or 90 bends in ONLY threaded or spring clip
    Kits with BOTH 45 and 90 bends in ONLY threaded or spring clip
    Kits with BOTH 45 and 90 bends in BOTH threaded and spring clip

The way these might be described on a product page would be:

Universal American Motorcycle Throttle Cable Kit, 45 Deg Bends with 1/4 UNC Threads

Universal American Motorcycle Throttle Cable Kit, 45 and 90 Deg Bends with 1/4 UNC Threads

Universal American Motorcycle Throttle Cable Kit, 45 and 90 Deg Bends, Threaded and Spring Clip Included

It would be greatly helpful to hear from builders what they would be most interested in.

Would you rather buy a kit with limited parts exactly tailored to a specific grip, or a kit with a variety of parts that could accommodate different grip designs?

Price would increase for the more inclusive kits, but not to a prohibitive degree.

Your thoughts?

Chris
    Venhill USA
  • Dowski
    • Apr 2016

Throw it all in there, we all hord bike parts anyhow. Really what is the end cost difference going to be like $10 for a little extra hardware. We can always find a use for stuff.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Shop users tend to like "variety pack" kits.

Will these components be stainless? Good chrome is deader than honest government, while stainless would be worth a premium if well done.

Since you bothered to ask (which is good) this ain't an advertisement thread though the more advertisers supporting Chop Cult the better.

Show us some CLOSEUP, BRIGHTLY LIT photos of your items that we may helpfully critique their fit and finish.

I also suggest either getting an Ebay store or persuading one of your dealers to do so. Brick and mortar order lead times are no longer acceptable.

Comment

• OakBehringer
        • May 2011

+1 all above comments. Part of the success of the Biltwell Whiskey Throttle is that works for every Harley cable, as it comes with a variety of ferrules.

HAVING SAID THAT...

I think we all know if we have clip or threaded throttles. You might be better off only offering the threaded OR clip kits. Sell the alternate bends separately. BUT ALWAYS include 45 and 90 deg bends. Often we are buying cables when we change our bars, which we ordered at the same time and don't have yet, and aren't really sure which angle will work best.

Fuck man, great idea, wish this had gone to market a few weeks ago!

Comment

• Motocrash
          • Sep 2010

Hey Chris!
          My current build has a lot of Venhill stuff on it and I've used a lot in the past. I made a clutch cable for the 'Feeder out of a stocker with a homemade end on it. I was going to use a Venhill kit but the cable is 2mm, Harley uses a cable that is closer to 3mm. Any plans on making a kit with thicker cable?

Well, I guess it's about time I started my build thread. I had put this off because I knew it would take awhile but i'm starting to loose track of things. The wife has christened it "Bottom Feeder" because most of the parts have come from scouring the net and snatching up stuff others have discarded. Here's day two, I

Comment

• Dowski
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Motocrash
            Hey Chris!
            My current build has a lot of Venhill stuff on it and I've used a lot in the past. I made a clutch cable for the 'Feeder out of a stocker with a homemade end on it. I was going to use a Venhill kit but the cable is 2mm, Harley uses a cable that is closer to 3mm. Any plans on making a kit with thicker cable?

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...t=19594&page=7
            Thanks Moto! I've never made cables before probably cause I never realized how easy it is. Where do you get new ferrules?

Comment

• Motocrash
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dowski
              Thanks Moto! I've never made cables before probably cause I never realized how easy it is. Where do you get new ferrules?
              I've bought ferrules from Venhill, Flanders and off of Ebay. Many of them I get off of salvadged old calbles. Honestly tho, I'd buy them all from Venhill if they had what I needed. Great service. And, no, I don't work for them and they have never given me a freebie. (not yet anyway )
              I'm pretty sure the ferruls used on the 'feeder's clutch cable are from Venhill, drilled out to work with the bigger cable.
              There are a few tutorials floating around the net, I just take cable building deeper into COB territory by making some of the parts and using what has to be the cheapest solder pot imaginable.
              Last edited by Motocrash; 05-06-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;