Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalheart28
    • Feb 2014

mikuni hsr 42mm

I picked up a mikuni hsr 42mm carb for my sporty. Does anyone have any experience with these they want to share? It was super cheap so I snagged it. It came off a 96" big twin so I'll have to re jet for my bike which is a ported 1250. I'm gonna open it up today and see what size jets are in it.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by metalheart28
    I picked up a mikuni hsr 42mm carb for my sporty. Does anyone have any experience with these they want to share? It was super cheap so I snagged it. It came off a 96" big twin so I'll have to re jet for my bike which is a ported 1250. I'm gonna open it up today and see what size jets are in it.
    It's to big for your sporty........

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
      Nope, not too big. 1200+ XLs will turn way more revs than a big twin, and need big carburetion to do it. The HSR 42 may actually be on the small side, depending on the head porting and cams.

Jim

Comment

• thecarfarmer
        • Dec 2016

For once, I'm gonna' have to disagree with the esteemed Tattoo.

It's a super common upgrade on 1200 XLs, and they work quite well.

FWIW, there's a really good booklet from Mikuni on getting these carbs dialed in available online.

Download link:

If you spend the time to dial it in, you will be rewarded with throttle response like a freaking light switch when you trust the grip WFO

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Nope, not too big. 1200+ XLs will turn way more revs than a big twin, and need big carburetion to do it. The HSR 42 may actually be on the small side, depending on the head porting and cams.

Jim
          You can't say it isn't to big then say it depends........... But I'm sure you know more about the new bikes than I do....

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by thecarfarmer
            For once, I'm gonna' have to disagree with the esteemed Tattoo.

It's a super common upgrade on 1200 XLs, and they work quite well.
            Your more than likely right..... What I was going by was a 38 was just right for an ironhead...... I can't be right all the time..... LOL

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

You can't say it isn't to big then say it depends........... But I'm sure you know more about the new bikes than I do....
              Reread what I said. I said it's not too big, and may possibly be TOO SMALL depending on heads, cam, etc. We raced these motors for over a decade in XLs and Buells, so I learned a little bit, yeah.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                Reread what I said. I said it's not too big, and may possibly be TOO SMALL depending on heads, cam, etc. We raced these motors for over a decade in XLs and Buells, so I learned a little bit, yeah.

Jim
                Reread what I said....... {But I'm sure you know more about the new bikes than I do....}

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

I have no experience for the HSR42 on a Sporty, but I be learnin'
                  Here is a horsepower gallery for 883 and 1200 with various upgrades, with 3 examples of the HSR42 mixed with other mods on 1200's (86HP, 94HP and 103HP):

Performance and Technical information on engines for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

and info from the same site, "to describe the way to perform a 883 to 1200 upgrade;...The attention to detail in this article is excellent...This rebuild consists of choosing Wiseco dished 9.5:1 pistons, X-Hasting rings, Harley-Davidson base gaskets, Bartel’s .027 head gasket kit, Andrews N2 Cams, Yost Power Tube and normal Stage I modifications (i.e. Screamin’ Eagle (SE) air cleaner, slip-ons, 45/180 re-jet, SE coil, SE 1200 Ignition module and the Vance & Hines SS2R racing exhaust system)."

oh, wait, still more:

2017 Thread: Mikuni hsr 42 tuning need help
                  "...this is a 97 sportster bottom end with 10.5-1 compression pistons, and 04 sportster heads with after market valve springs. Also has screaming eagle cams with 546 lift I believe. The cams are a high RPM range cam. It has drag pipes..."
                  I've hit a dead end and not sure where to go with this. I've been trying to dial in this carb on and off for about 2 months now and just can't seem to get it right. Before I sell it, I figured I would post to see if there is anyone up here that is very familiar with tuning these carbs as this is the first one I've messed with.

Testing the Mikuni HSR42 Easy Kit for Sportster
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-28-2019, 8:52 PM.
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

^^^^^ So it could be to big depending on the modifications to the motor...^^^^^^

So well we shall see......... A carb on a drag bike can be useless on the street..... I know that for sure......

Comment

• SamHain
                      • Apr 2024

I’m in to know what jets are in it now, have a 96” project that I picked up a 42 for

Comment

• metalheart28
                        • Feb 2014

It's going on a 94 1250 sporty with the 883 heads that have been ported, 10.5-1 and thunderheader. The hammer performance guys recommend them for bikes that have their kit. It was cheap so I thought I would give it a shot. I just opened it up and it has a 30 pilot, 155 main, and I believe it's a 95 Needle? was hard to read. clip in the middle for the guy who was asking. If it ends up being too big for my setup now hopefully it will work in the future when I change the cams and put on the thunderstorm heads I have. Things I've read have kinda been back and forth so Ill get some jets and put it on and see how it goes and report back.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Yes let us know..... Post a pic of the plugs if you can when you can.........

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                            • Sep 2011

My buddy runs one of these on his 900cc triumph bonneville without issue

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

How'd he feed two cylinders from one Mikuni? Custom intake?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;