4spd ratchet adjustment issue. 84 shovelhead.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manesfesto
    • May 2013

4spd ratchet adjustment issue. 84 shovelhead.

I have a recently rebuild 4spd ratchet trans I popped into my 84 shovelhead build. The trans is solid and all new seals and bearings, totally rebuilt. Here is my issue:

The clutch hub has the common problem of the entire hub moving that 1/16th or so of an inch when I am engaging it. AKA, as soon as I shift into 1st at idle she wants to start creeping forward on me. Finding neutral isnt the worst, but I have felt better on 4spds.

now, we got a new one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1914463...lpid=82&chn=ps because the springs that had been on the previous one were clearly worn and not providing enough tension on the studs to keep the hub in place. sweet. new one goes on, and the springs that are bigger with the new one don't fit over the three studs on my clutch hub.

Friends solution: pull everything out of the hub and gently file the studs down a cunt hair so that we can slip the new clips on the studs and call it a day. hopefully it wont move. but who knows?

My solution: before I start anything in that direction, does anyone here have advice as to a solution? possibly buying a different retainer or "tamer" set up? The transmission is dead set aligned with a open primary.Its a 3 finger clutch hub.

thanks in advance. I dont mind spending a little extra money to do this right, I just wanna reach out and hear some ideas, if possible.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Ok what springs on the new one are you talking about? Are you talking about the three clips?

Comment

• andri
      • Mar 2012

Step 1. Buy Rivera Primo Pro clutch

Step 2. Install said clutch

Step 3. Never have to think about it again

Comment

• Revelator
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by andri
        step 1. Buy rivera primo pro clutch

step 2. Install said clutch

step 3. Never have to think about it again

yup

Comment

• manesfesto
          • May 2013

Yeah the three circle clips that come with the kit. the new ones inside diameter are a cunt hair to tight and wont slip onto the studs.

Comment

• boomboomthump
            • Oct 2013

I wouldn't go filing anything. When something doesn't seem to fit correctly, you're either doing it wrong or have the wrong parts. I say this after ignoring my own advice and costing myself a $150 trans headache last week.

First question: Are the new lock rings the same exact style as the ones in that picture (snap rings like pictured or side mounting circlips)? If so, are you using the correct tool? Snap ring pliers to spread the diameter? They still won't fit on the stud? Were the old lock rings the same style? My BDL setup doesn't have snap rings, it has side mount circlips that you push onto the stud at the groove.

Sorry if this is rudimentary but sometimes you need to start with basics and not assume what's happening on the other side of the keyboard.

Comment

• govmule84
              • Oct 2011

With the retainer, you don't use the springs... you use circlips, like boomboomthumpthumpwhat'sthatracket said.

Are you trying to run both simultaneously?

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Also should be said .....

Check the tracking of the primary chain/belt...

If it's off by much, the tammer is going to have accelerated ware occurring....
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

The above advice is dead on all but the rivera primo clutch.. Well that is if you don't mind spending a lot of money for nothing.... I have no problem fixing a Harley clutch to work just fine....

With those clips get you a pair of snap ring pliers. Don't listen to your friend on anything else. He is a butcher......and has no idea what he's talking about.....

Comment

• manesfesto
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by boomboomthump
                    I wouldn't go filing anything. When something doesn't seem to fit correctly, you're either doing it wrong or have the wrong parts. I say this after ignoring my own advice and costing myself a $150 trans headache last week.

First question: Are the new lock rings the same exact style as the ones in that picture (snap rings like pictured or side mounting circlips)? If so, are you using the correct tool? Snap ring pliers to spread the diameter? They still won't fit on the stud? Were the old lock rings the same style? My BDL setup doesn't have snap rings, it has side mount circlips that you push onto the stud at the groove.

Sorry if this is rudimentary but sometimes you need to start with basics and not assume what's happening on the other side of the keyboard.
                    I am going to pull my clutch back apart today and try it by myself, sometimes when you got three hands trying three ways, it never works.

The new clips I have are identical to the previous side mount circlips, just a bit beefier and obviously tighter over the studs.

I have the retainer all the way down to A with the smallest amount of play I can find. thanks for the advice I will keep this updated.

Comment

• boomboomthump
                      • Oct 2013

OK, well that at least clarifies one thing because the eBay link had snap rings.

For the circlips (again not sure how you're trying to shove it on) I like to use long reach needle nose pliers. The 90* bend ones are great. Line up the tips of the circlip and then pop it on. The extra length of the long reach pliers give you more leverage to pop the clips on easier than using short ones or trying to push it on with the edge of a flat head screwdriver (which seems to be how most folks try to get them on).

Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-28-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• manesfesto
                        • May 2013

awesome info. I really appreciate it. I know motors well enough and most things that come with, but trans stuff has me kinda up shit creek.

Gonna try and get the clips on with my clip pliers i bought.

Comment

• Sky
                          • Aug 2009

First off if your hub is moving there's something way wrong! I think you mean the basket walks when the clutch is disengaged.
                          There are quite a few subtle adjustments on the stock 36-84 clutch.
                          I have enumerated them on this forum before. Do you have the manual? Is everything stock?
                          Belts, alloy pressure plates, etc. Even lever/pedal actuation can vary from setup to set up.
                          to be continued....

Comment

• nuklhd
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            The above advice is dead on all but the rivera primo clutch.. Well that is if you don't mind spending a lot of money for nothing.... I have no problem fixing a Harley clutch to work just fine....

With those clips get you a pair of snap ring pliers. Don't listen to your friend on anything else. He is a butcher......and has no idea what he's talking about.....
                            tattoo, i feel the same way. a stock clutch set up properly is just fine.

Comment

• boomboomthump
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Sky
                              First off if your hub is moving there's something way wrong! I think you mean the basket walks when the clutch is disengaged.
                              There are quite a few subtle adjustments on the stock 36-84 clutch.
                              I have enumerated them on this forum before. Do you have the manual? Is everything stock?
                              Belts, alloy pressure plates, etc. Even lever/pedal actuation can vary from setup to set up.
                              to be continued....

I just re-read the original post again (I had a few times already) and I think the first few times he was saying "springs" he was referring to the clips. That had me confused.

I agree with you and I think this is just an adjustment issue. The clutch hub is what gets locked to the shaft. As long as it is installed/torqued properly and the lock washer on the clutch hub nut, there is no way the clutch hub has any side play.

I think the 1/16" movement he is referring to (not an actual measurement I'll bet) is simply the end play between the clutch hub and the clutch basket. There should be a very slight end play to allow the hub and needle bearings to spin freely and I'm guessing he's just calling it 1/16". I'm also guessing that he is just assuming that is the problem when this is in all likelihood a clutch adjustment issue.

Also agree that the stock clutch and similar setups work just fine and there's no reason to go out and spend $400+ on a new clutch unless of course you're looking for something with a better feel. The Primo pro clutch and BDL competitor clutch are both buttery smooth and you can feel a difference at the lever.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;