Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpope85
    • Jun 2016

KZ440 idling high

Working on an 83 440LTD, its got UNI pod filters, stock jets. After its warmed up, idling just wants to shoot up to 4rpms and stay there. Air/Fuel mix screws all the way down doesn't seem to affect it. Idle adjust screw is maybe a half turn in. I'm new with this stuff, any pointers? Thanks.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

It sounds like a real bad intake leak........Also have you taken the carbs apart and cleaned them???

Comment

• Jpope85
      • Jun 2016

Yea I took carbs apart and cleaned real well. As far as an intake leak, i've sprayed carb cleaner around the boots and the rpms don't jump up or anything. Is there a better way to check?

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Jpope85
        Yea I took carbs apart and cleaned real well. As far as an intake leak, i've sprayed carb cleaner around the boots and the rpms don't jump up or anything. Is there a better way to check?

When it is running at 4000 rpm I doubt it will go any higher.... Take the carbs back off and check for cracks or hard rubbers oh yea be sure and check your clamps...

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Another question....... What was it doing before you took the carbs off???? You know why did you take them off in the first place...

Comment

• Jpope85
            • Jun 2016

It was stock before, this is the first time firing it up since switching it to pods.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

It was stock before, this is the first time firing it up since switching it to pods.
              That isn't what I was asking...... Was it running ok before you did any changes???? Why did you rebuild the carbs??? More info needed..........

Comment

• Jpope85
                • Jun 2016

Yes it was running well before i did anything. I cleaned out the carbs cause its an old bike, and they were pretty gunked up so good thing.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Yes it was running well before i did anything. I cleaned out the carbs cause its an old bike, and they were pretty gunked up so good thing.

Ok if it was running fine before you did anything, you put something together wrong..Or... Did you have the pods on there before or did you have the stock air box??????
                  If you had the stock air box before your bike is running lean..............

Comment

• vwrabbit
                    • May 2017

Sounds like the Unis are letting in a good bit of air. What some have done is cut up a soda can to fit inside the Uni to act as sort of a velocity stack. You'll have to cut the top and end off, slit it down the side and then trim the top down so about 3/4 of the filter is covered along the sides. It'll still pull air from the end of the filter.

Comment

• Jpope85
                      • Jun 2016

Yea it was running fine before. Its put together correctly, and it was the stock air box before.

Comment

• Jpope85
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by vwrabbit
                        Sounds like the Unis are letting in a good bit of air. What some have done is cut up a soda can to fit inside the Uni to act as sort of a velocity stack. You'll have to cut the top and end off, slit it down the side and then trim the top down so about 3/4 of the filter is covered along the sides. It'll still pull air from the end of the filter.
                        I'll give this a try.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Yea it was running fine before. Its put together correctly, and it was the stock air box before.

Thank you, It's the pods that's your problem, it's getting to much air and not enough fuel....... Try the can trick it should help......

Comment

• Steelhorse
                            • Oct 2017

Just put the air box back on or buy a set of mikuni 32 smoothbores then it will run fine with pods. You're just defeating the purpose of pods if you choke them down with cans or tape

Comment

• bcredneck
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Steelhorse
                              Just put the air box back on or buy a set of mikuni 32 smoothbores then it will run fine with pods. You're just defeating the purpose of pods if you choke them down with cans or tape
                              i half agree its a total waste to choke it down but why the fuck has no one said bigger PILOT JET or hell ream that bitch out a bit You must rejet your carb after every major change to intake or exhausts and that can trick is the dumbest way to avoid that ive ever heard of unless you like a guttless topend
                              i truly despise mikuni carbs the first thing i do to every yamaha 2 stroke i buy is ditch em

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;