Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whiteknuckles
    • Nov 2012

Cheap welder for beginner

Basically I have zero welding knowledge. I'm looking for a cheap machine that I can weld on bungs, seat hinges and little doo dads that come up in my adventures. Nothing crazy like building frames or hard tailing shit. Maybe some books or videos. I don't know. Drop the knowledge bomb on me CC
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

A 110-volt MIG machine would do what you want, but PRACTICE after study. Grind down your joints (angle grinder w. flap disc) and always weld clean material. Do some break testing on scrap.

Do NOT "learn" on shit you are using. Learn on scrap. Prep scrap as you would a part to be repaired.

Flux core can be sexy:

Read your ass off, it's interesting and fun.

Best general welding forum, and IMO the best welding forum:

Community Forum for Welding Professionals and Enthusiasts To Interact and Learn - Free

Best manufacturer website no matter what brand you run, and their forum is only second to Weldingweb. Lurk both and learn.

Your trusted destination for welding resources, helpful support and high-performance products for all of your welding projects. Together, we can build anything.

Training videos and other useful info:

There really should be a welding resource sticky and a "troubleshooting a no start" sticky thread.
    Last edited by farmall; 07-29-2014, 5:33 AM.

Comment

• ScarTissue
      • Apr 2024

For welding bungs is a stick welder okay (assuming quality welds)? I'm just concerned about overpenetration, even with a smaller diameter 6013 electrode (for example).

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ScarTissue
        For welding bungs is a stick welder okay (assuming quality welds)? I'm just concerned about overpenetration, even with a smaller diameter 6013 electrode (for example).
        any welding type of machine is good in the hands of a good welder,
        stick welders though are not really used much in the motorcycle fab industry theyre a little too sloppy looking of a weld compared to what you can achieve with a tig welder.

My advise for a machine for a beginner would be get something like a Miller Econotig and learn to tig weld.

Mig welders are okay but again tig welders like the econotig can do aluminum and steel and you can really "grow" into that machine.
        Most people that start out mig welding have some awful looking snot welds and when you get better and better eventually at it you are going to want to start tig welding.
        Plus a nice little Tig machine (once you learn the skill) will let you pretty much be able to weld and fabricate about anything you need to on a motorcycle build.
        I use my tig every single day in the shop.
        My mig machine maybe gets turned on 5 times a year.

Comment

• ManicMechanic
          • Nov 2013

My experience with welding.....

Tig - Quality looking welds, Can weld steel or Aluminium, Just the best thing overall. However..even an average quality Tig set is a little expensive and the main issue for me was the Gas bottles. Where I live you have to sign up with a company to loan a cylinder than have them fill it etc etc. Too much trouble unless you're really serious about welding and will be building a tonne of stuff to really justify it.

Mig - You can get no-gas or gas. Not herd great stuff about no gas set-up. It's supposed to OK but best to use Gas. Again, good Mig sets are pricey for occasional use and then there is the issue/expense of renting Argon bottles etc.

Arc-(MMA) - Cheap to buy but frustrating to use when starting out. The welds don't look great. It's probably the most difficult to master. Better for thicker gauge steel.

I ended up going with arc welding. It's really cheap. I don't weld that often. A couple of bits here and there but if its a really big job then I'll use it to tack stuff together and take it to a shop and get it properly Tig welded.

I use 1.6mm electrodes at around 55-60 amps and its fine. The welds aren't pretty but you can always dress them up a bit.

So if you have patience and only really need to make/weld on mounts and brackets then its fine I think.

I did the whole seat-mount subframe with with an Arc welder on this bike. It wasn't pretty but its wasn't on display either when the seat was mounted.

Recently made / welded a hinge for a solo seat for my Sportster. Again not pretty but I'm not complaining.

Comment

• SamHain
            • Apr 2024

keep practicing with the arc, it can look damn near as good as tig. I've seen original invaders that were arc welded. Out of position tube is going to be the most difficult, but hell thats no walk in the park with tig either.

Comment

• metalheart28
              • Feb 2014

I bought a hobart 140 mig welder as my first machine and I use it for everything best bang for your buck. look at getting a nice auto darkening helmet. I also went hobart with the helmet and I have not been disappointed. hobart is also a miller company

Comment

• ScarTissue
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by ManicMechanic
                My experience with welding.....

Tig - Quality looking welds, Can weld steel or Aluminium, Just the best thing overall. However..even an average quality Tig set is a little expensive and the main issue for me was the Gas bottles. Where I live you have to sign up with a company to loan a cylinder than have them fill it etc etc. Too much trouble unless you're really serious about welding and will be building a tonne of stuff to really justify it.

Mig - You can get no-gas or gas. Not herd great stuff about no gas set-up. It's supposed to OK but best to use Gas. Again, good Mig sets are pricey for occasional use and then there is the issue/expense of renting Argon bottles etc.

Arc-(MMA) - Cheap to buy but frustrating to use when starting out. The welds don't look great. It's probably the most difficult to master. Better for thicker gauge steel.

I ended up going with arc welding. It's really cheap. I don't weld that often. A couple of bits here and there but if its a really big job then I'll use it to tack stuff together and take it to a shop and get it properly Tig welded.

I use 1.6mm electrodes at around 55-60 amps and its fine. The welds aren't pretty but you can always dress them up a bit.

So if you have patience and only really need to make/weld on mounts and brackets then its fine I think.

I did the whole seat-mount subframe with with an Arc welder on this bike. It wasn't pretty but its wasn't on display either when the seat was mounted.
                Which electrodes did you use specifically for welding on the frame, 6013, 7014? I plan on getting a nice tig setup in the future but for now all I have is a hand-me-down 220 stick. Going to be grinding/molding the welds anyway so just need it to be structurally okay.

Comment

• Desperado
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by farmall
                  A 110-volt MIG machine would do what you want, but PRACTICE after study. Grind down your joints (angle grinder w. flap disc) and always weld clean material. Do some break testing on scrap.

Do NOT "learn" on shit you are using. Learn on scrap. Prep scrap as you would a part to be repaired.

Flux core can be sexy:

Read your ass off, it's interesting and fun.

Best general welding forum, and IMO the best welding forum:

Community Forum for Welding Professionals and Enthusiasts To Interact and Learn - Free

Best manufacturer website no matter what brand you run, and their forum is only second to Weldingweb. Lurk both and learn.

Your trusted destination for welding resources, helpful support and high-performance products for all of your welding projects. Together, we can build anything.

Training videos and other useful info:

There really should be a welding resource sticky and a "troubleshooting a no start" sticky thread.
                  Just wanted to show my appreciation for all the links you gathered, thanks.

Comment

• SamHain
                    • Apr 2024

Which electrodes did you use specifically for welding on the frame, 6013, 7014? I plan on getting a nice tig setup in the future but for now all I have is a hand-me-down 220 stick. Going to be grinding/molding the welds anyway so just need it to be structurally okay.
                    7018 is the baddest of the bad, 6013 may be a bit easier to run.

Comment

• Rubman
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by SamHain
                      7018 is the baddest of the bad, 6013 may be a bit easier to run.
                      Is it weird that I actually really took a liking to arc welding? 6013 is cake to get through. Just don't get frustrated about starting the weld and keep a cool head. I'd personally never use a stick setup on my shit (just because they can literally only come out so pretty, and i want my shit as pretty as possible), but they're definitely the cheapest setups BY FAR.

Comment

• ManicMechanic
                        • Nov 2013

I've been using 6013 with no problems. The welds are super strong. Just make sure that you remove all of the slag each time you weld (wire wheel helps) otherwise you'll get porosity.

I always cut the electrodes in half for better control.

Comment

• SamHain
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Rubman
                          Is it weird that I actually really took a liking to arc welding? 6013 is cake to get through. Just don't get frustrated about starting the weld and keep a cool head. I'd personally never use a stick setup on my shit (just because they can literally only come out so pretty, and i want my shit as pretty as possible), but they're definitely the cheapest setups BY FAR.
                          I love arc welding, I'd use it before mig based on aesthetics.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Got a DC stick machine? Wanna TIG steel? We trained many TIG students using these rigs and Lincoln Idealarcs:

Is it weird that I actually really took a liking to arc welding?
                            Fuck no! Stick is fun and versatile.
                            Last edited by farmall; 07-29-2014, 1:22 PM.

Comment

• Wolfie
                              • Apr 2024

I had a cheepo stick awhile back...was tough to get an arc goin....my buddy bought a flux core from Harbor Freight fer $99 (hid it at my house from his ol lady)...runs of yer kitchen outlet....I use it fer all but frame welding.....and its easy to learn on....once ya get good, ya get a $500 MIG.....or a TIG if ya ever wanna do aluminum....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;