Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cramer
    • Jul 2021

Intro/I Dove Right In

Hey everyone. I just joined so I thought I would introduce myself.

I have had a few bikes over the years, mostly Jap cruisers, first and current Harley is an 05 FXD. I have always wanted to have an old school chopper, and after rebuilding an old CB had the crazy idea I should try it. So I saved some pennies and put some feelers out and today bought a 1979 FXEF (as far as I can tell). The title lists the year but no model. It’s a supposed “barn find”, 8,xxx miles on the clock, dual plug heads, ratchet top trans. It runs well, the oil filter leaks, the carb bowl leaks, the primary cover leaks ( nothing major). Now my dilemma is what to do?

It’s almost to complete to chop, so honestly o am thinking cleaning it up, stripping the signals, and changing the bars and just ripping it around.

Any opinions, info, or advice is welcome. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	F55EF2D4-82C4-4D9D-BB28-3C00D7049B76.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1346823
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cramer; 07-03-2021, 6:50 PM.
  • TomK
    • Oct 2013

My two cents: don’t chop it. That’s a sweet looking running bike. I’d just maintain it and fix the little problems you have and others as they come up. If you want a chopper, there are plenty of motors and frames out there or bikes that have already been messed up to make into a chopper.

I could be biased, though, because I have two chops and that bike is almost exactly what I want as my next non-chopper bike.

Comment

• Cramer
      • Jul 2021

Some more pics
      Click image for larger version

Name:	91817003-2598-4D08-882C-8F0E85123735.jpg
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1319031

Name:	A80E4862-E234-43C1-A421-EB790C3BE3CF.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1319032

Name:	537721D8-7F86-4AE3-A40E-34F63088E128.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1319033

Name:	41F65185-3B4C-4442-B6FD-B654048455B5.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1319034

Name:	9B2DC80E-3280-4E15-B614-C10669A37F2C.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1319035

Comment

• Cramer
        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by TomK
        My two cents: don’t chop it. That’s a sweet looking running bike. I’d just maintain it and fix the little problems you have and others as they come up. If you want a chopper, there are plenty of motors and frames out there or bikes that have already been messed up to make into a chopper.

I could be biased, though, because I have two chops and that bike is almost exactly what I want as my next non-chopper bike.
        Yeah man, I already don’t like the bars, too low and wide. But other than cleaning it up it’s awful classy to think about cutting up:

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Do not chop that bike, please... They are getting more scarce every day. Buy a frame and mod that if you really want to go that route. It sounds like the motor has already been modded to some level... I would tear it down and find out exactly what I had, and freshen it up/modify it from there. A 93" or 96" shovelhead is a strong and reliable engine as long as its built and maintained properly. And it will be several magnitudes more fun than a stock shovel. You can go 88" or 90" if you don't want to go big bore, and it will still run like a raped ape and you'd be able to return it to stock (although you would never want to do that.)

ETA: pics added while I was replying... That is an FXS (Lowrider) dash. But the VIN will decode the exact model.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

For what they sell for it makes more sense for those wanting a chop to clean up pretty stockers, cash out then build a chopper from someone else's abandoned project or parts. I'd ride it like it is but IDGAF about pretty.

The split tanks are far better for actual riding (if anyone still does that) than fashionable tiny bar bike tanks and the fenders/struts etc are easy to swap out. It's not too original to modify but cutting the frame would be retarded. The bars suck of course.

I do a compression test on every new-to-me HD, and inspect the electrical system thoroughly. (I replace the stator/rotor/regulator and ignition unless it's been converted to points then I mark and pull the backing plate and inspect and lube the advance).

Image search FXEF pics for what it looked like out of the box. I wouldn't put money into the engine unless it needs an overhaul. I always replace the intake manifold seals when I pull a carb since they harden with age and leak. They're cheap. I also buy a complete engine gasket and seal kit to work off then replace what I use.

Download the factory service manual and parts catalog (no aftermarket service manuals!). The Harley PDF Manual Trade and Share group on Fecesbook has them and much more (download those for your Twin Cam too including the EDM).

Comment

• Cramer
              • Jul 2021

Originally posted by farmall
              For what they sell for it makes more sense for those wanting a chop to clean up pretty stockers, cash out then build a chopper from someone else's abandoned project or parts. I'd ride it like it is but IDGAF about pretty.

The split tanks are far better for actual riding (if anyone still does that) than fashionable tiny bar bike tanks and the fenders/struts etc are easy to swap out. It's not too original to modify but cutting the frame would be retarded. The bars suck of course.

I do a compression test on every new-to-me HD, and inspect the electrical system thoroughly. (I replace the stator/rotor/regulator and ignition unless it's been converted to points then I mark and pull the backing plate and inspect and lube the advance).

Image search FXEF pics for what it looked like out of the box. I wouldn't put money into the engine unless it needs an overhaul. I always replace the intake manifold seals when I pull a carb since they harden with age and leak. They're cheap. I also buy a complete engine gasket and seal kit to work off then replace what I use.

Download the factory service manual and parts catalog (no aftermarket service manuals!). The Harley PDF Manual Trade and Share group on Fecesbook has them and much more (download those for your Twin Cam too including the EDM).
              Awesome man! Thanks for the feedback that all sounds like solid advice. Do you replace all the charging/ignition just for peace of mind or are there typical issues?

Comment

• Cramer
                • Jul 2021

Anybody who would be willing to guess, what is this thing worth as it sits running and rideable? Just trying to make sure I did ok on the front end. I feel like shovel prices are climbing all the time.

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

lol.. That's the same thing they did to mine. For whatever reason, Fat Bob owners used to like to hang bagger stuff all over them? Some of it kind of grows on you after a while. It's kind of nice not having a perfect original to start with, so you can make changes without driving down the value or feeling bad.

I agree about not chopping. If you're not wanting a hard tail? There's no reason to cut the frame up.

You can get about 6 degrees of rake for cheap between a wide glide tree and some cups. (Use the ones with stops) Get the older tree and your padlock will still line up, too. If you want longer tubes, the hard chrome "Hard Drive" tubes are nice. Drag Specialties makes an adjustable height and preload shock for the back and they work really well compared to the 40 year old stock ones, without costing too much.

The forward controls are nice. Everybody likes mids that came on them now. But if you're tall it's a PITA and hides too much. I like the three light Pan dash on the fat tanks, but to each his own.

The primary leaks are a pain in the ass. The best I've done to date is a fomet fuzzy gasket with a steel core for the cover, derby and inspection plate. And a lip seal from a 4L60E transmission input drum around the starter solenoid.

Again, it's a personal preference, but I'd be careful chopping the signals. People drive so poorly now, I'll do anything to be seen. Considering a flaming torch on a jousting stick attached to the bars.

Nice bike! I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Last edited by confab; 07-04-2021, 6:38 AM.

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Originally posted by Cramer
                    Anybody who would be willing to guess, what is this thing worth as it sits running and rideable? Just trying to make sure I did ok on the front end. I feel like shovel prices are climbing all the time.
                    Depends on your market.. My guess is: Here it would probably pull 6 to 8?

Was a $3500 dollar bike a few years ago. You just don't see those anymore.

Comment

• Cramer
                      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by confab
                      Depends on your market.. My guess is: Here it would probably pull 6 to 8?

Was a $3500 dollar bike a few years ago. You just don't see those anymore.
                      Ok. I’m in it for $4k, so that makes me feel better.

Comment

• Cramer
                        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by confab
                        lol.. That's the same thing they did to mine. For whatever reason, Fat Bob owners used to like to hang bagger stuff all over them? Some of it kind of grows on you after a while. It's kind of nice not having a perfect original to start with, so you can make changes without driving down the value or feeling bad.

I agree about not chopping. If you're not wanting a hard tail? There's no reason to cut the frame up.

You can get about 6 degrees of rake for cheap between a wide glide tree and some cups. (Use the ones with stops) Get the older tree and your padlock will still line up, too. If you want longer tubes, the hard chrome "Hard Drive" tubes are nice. Drag Specialties makes an adjustable height and preload shock for the back and they work really well compared to the 40 year old stock ones, without costing too much.

The forward controls are nice. Everybody likes mids that came on them now. But if you're tall it's a PITA and hides too much. I like the three light Pan dash on the fat tanks, but to each his own.

The primary leaks are a pain in the ass. The best I've done to date is a fomet fuzzy gasket with a steel core for the cover, derby and inspection plate. And a lip seal from a 4L60E transmission input drum around the starter solenoid.

Again, it's a personal preference, but I'd be careful chopping the signals. People drive so poorly now, I'll do anything to be seen. Considering a flaming torch on a jousting stick attached to the bars.

Nice bike! I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

This is great.

Yeah now that I have it I feel like I don’t really know what I want lol. I have dreams of a skinny reared hard tail, but then I think “If I cleaned this thing up, made some
                        Changes, it could fun AND still look good. Just maybe not the direction I was originally headed.”

Thanks!

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Cramer
                          Ok. I’m in it for $4k, so that makes me feel better.
                          I think that's a realistic value for it, if it's a decent runner. Shovels are not in the 6 to 8 grand range in most parts of the country. The generator models command a small premium over the average price. You have (hopefully) a decent bike at a fair price. Work on it, ride it, enjoy it. It will probably retain its value, and who knows, it may appreciate a little over the next decade or two.

Jim

Comment

• confab
                            • May 2019

I know exactly what you mean. You buy it and you think you want one thing.. THEN, you look at it a little and you aren't so sure anymore?

My FXEF is in a constant state of "Rolling mock up" I have some 3.5 tanks to try next.

Here's what it looks like with the exact same elements yours has, but stripped down a little and with some rake and tubes.

Not a skinny hard tail, but it's a fun bike to ride around. And I ride it a lot.

Does anyone know why Shovel exhaust is grouped into 1966-1969, and 1970 up? What's the difference? Because I think I have a 66-69 set of paughco drag pipes on my bike now.. And they seem to fit? Am I good to use any set of pipes or not, or.. What's the difference? Even paughco groups them like this and, according to

Comment

• 70fatster
                              • Jan 2013

I would ride that thing and never look back! You've paid X amount for a bike, and it's about ready to ride. If you decide to chop it you will be removing value to add value, and all said and done might not even be worth as much as when you started.
                              It would make more sense to me to build a chopper from someone else's basket of parts you can buy cheap. Then, everything you do only adds value. I've spent a lot of money on vehicle projects and after almost fifty years of it I'm just now starting to wise up��

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;