Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHMike
    • Apr 2024

Changing a tire with Zip Ties...

Ok, so I didn't really take these pics to make a "How to". I just figured I'd post them on here in case anyone, like me, was wondering if it's as easy as the Youtube vids portray. As for that, I'll just say, kind of. For the record, I changed the tire and tube on this particular rim.

You're going to need a few things...

Either a few REAL thick Flathead Screwdrivers, or some Crowbars (Like I used)
    A pair of pliers. I used normal Pliers so there's no need for Needlenose
    Something soapy in a spray bottle, I used 409
    A handful of HEAVY zip ties
    A C-Clamp (Or search Youtube for how to break a motorcycle tire bead)
    A 4X4 or something else similar to get the rim off the ground

First, you need to air down the tire (naturally) and break the bead. I aired down by stabbing the tire with a knife, it felt good. I did this before I started taking pics, but all I used was a large C-Clamp. Put it around the tire, right above the rim and you'll see it seperate. After that, I just used a crowbar every 6 inches or so, pushing back on the tire to break the bead on both sides of the tire.

After that you want to grab the Zip Ties. Initially I thought you used them to somehow make the inside diameter larger. And maybe you do, but I couldn't fucking do it, so I used them to simply hold the beads together on the tire. Anyhow, I used a crowbar to make getting the zip ties under the tire easier. Once you get 6 or 7 ties around the tire, it's time for the real work.

Spray the SHIT out of one side of the tire (The side you're going to be sliding off) and the rim. As much as I tried to just use my hands like in the videos, I could not. So I used a couple crowbars to get the tire off. You really don't need to get it off the rim too much, at a point, it'll almost take itself off.

Next is to put the NEW tire on. Like I said, I also changed the tube and I just tucked it inside of the tire. BEFORE you go any further, make sure you take the nut off the stem or it'll be a royal pain in the ass to get off once the tire is on. And before you ask, I DID remember to take it off, hahaha. Okay, so use some more zip ties and if you've got a tube, tuck IT into the tire as you put them on, making sure not to crimp the tube. You want to make sure that tube is WELL out of harms way or this is all for not. I put 6 ties around the whole tire.

NEXT, spray one side of the tire and the rim again. Put the stem near the hole in the rim. Once the whole thing is on, you'll be able to move it a little bit to get it through the hole (unlike in the bedroom where your wife just falls asleep while you figure it out, hahaha). Get the rim and tire good and wet and you'll be able to see that it goes on a lot easier than it comes off. I did have to use the crowbar again to get the last 6 inches or so onto the rim, being careful NOT to touch the tube.

Next just line up the Stem, push down on the tire and get the nut on, fill it up with air, and ride!

I should say, I was alone when I did this and having an extra set of hands can certainly help this whoe thing along. BUT, it is possible to do, hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
    Attached Files
  • Townson
    • May 2012

how do you come up with these shenanigans?

Comment

• NHMike
      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Townson
      how do you come up with these shenanigans?
      Because I'm a cheap fuck.

Comment

• LivingCanvas
        • Apr 2024

Or you could get a couple of tire spoons and do It the normal way, instead of all these steps to over complicate the process.

Comment

• NHMike
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by LivingCanvas
          Or you could get a couple of tire spoons and do It the normal way, instead of all these steps to over complicate the process.
          Extremely complicated.

NHMike: Hardcore since 1973

Comment

• Bandersnatch
            • Dec 2011

LOL, you saved yourself 15 bucks?
            How long did it take you?

Just twistin yer eggs.

Good to know things can still be ''done by hand in a pinch''.

Comment

• SeaChicken
              • Oct 2010

God damn, you use zip ties on everything. If I remember you hadthevulcan tank zip tied down too.

Comment

• dazegoneby
                • Apr 2024

tire irons,,,,and baby powder for lube ,,,,,then again mike gotta do it the yankee way,,,, hahahahahha

Comment

• brach77
                  • Oct 2011

fuck, that looks to much like work. I made friends at a local shop so I could get access to a tire machine.

Comment

• HWC
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by dazegoneby
                    tire irons,,,,and baby powder for lube ,,,,,then again mike gotta do it the yankee way,,,, hahahahahha
                    tire irons an cheap sex lube from walmart,,,you outta see the looks i get when i throw a dozen or so tubes of personal lubricant on the register

Comment

• Gnarly
                      • Jul 2012

I always use tire spoons. From riding dirt bikes over the years and changing tires 2 times a season I got used to it lol.

Comment

• NHMike
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
                        LOL, you saved yourself 15 bucks?
                        How long did it take you?

Just twistin yer eggs.

Good to know things can still be ''done by hand in a pinch''.
                        I was actually at work, so I guess I got paid to do it, hahahaha

Comment

• NHMike
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Gnarly
                          I always use tire spoons. From riding dirt bikes over the years and changing tires 2 times a season I got used to it lol.
                          If I had them, I would've used them. For some reason, they're one of the things I always say I'm going to buy, but never really think of it until it comes time to change a tire.

And for all you guys talking about "The Yankee Way"...here's the video I watched, this dood is NOT from the North!!! Hahahahaha

Comment

• dazegoneby
                            • Apr 2024

okok may be hes drinkin to much shine...good idea but seems a bit more work than spoons.and i,m still a tube guy
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2012, 8:44 AM.

Comment

• 2stroketim
                              • Jan 2012

I hate changing tires. When I was racing dirtbikes I would do 8 or 10 changes, front and back, every year. Sucks balls.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;