FUBAR shock mounts - Is my fix feasible?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pendulum
    • Jul 2011

FUBAR shock mounts - Is my fix feasible?

I've got an old Suzuki project, and the shock mounts on the right side are fucked. One of them still has threads, but only about 1/4". The rest of the stud broke off. The lower mount is still completely there, but is also completely stripped. I reached out to a local shop, but he wants almost $500 to fix it. Reasonable for how much work it is, but more money than I want to put into this project right now. The portion where the shocks mount is 12mm diameter, and the studs are 10mm. It's a solid piece of steel that is welded to the frame.

My solution is to cut the threaded part off, leaving just the 12mm shock mount portion and drill/tap a hole to run a bolt into. What size bolt should I use, and is this a terrible idea?
  • mountainryder
    • Mar 2013

Fix it the way you say, tap for a 8mm bolt, it should work fine

Comment

• wymple
      • Mar 2014

I'd use a grade 8 bolt, otherwise, have at it.

Comment

• bobscogin
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by wymple
        I'd use a grade 8 bolt, otherwise, have at it.
        Metric bolts, if that's what you end up using, don't use the SAE strength rating designations. The Metric bolt that has approximately the same strength as an SAE Grade 8 will be a 10.9.

Bob

Comment

• Pendulum
          • Jul 2011

Boy am I glad to read these responses, since I've already applied my fix to one of the shock mounts, and cut the threaded portion off the other 3 lol. I could've left the mounts on the left side as they were since they were in great shape, but I figured it'd look pretty dumb to have allen head 8mm bolts on the right, and studs/nuts on the left.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;