I Can not get my 2000 Sportster XLH883 to start!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gurlrider83
    • Aug 2021

I Can not get my 2000 Sportster XLH883 to start!

I can Not get my 2000 sportster XL883H to start! I’m losing my mind over it. I put a new battery, starter, battery cables, and starter relay in it but I still get nothing please HELP!
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

15 Simple Solutions When a Motorcycle Won't Start (But Battery is Good)

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• drivermark
      • May 2015

Check to see if it's getting fuel, if noone has changed petcocks those come with a vacuum valve and if the diaphram leaks no fuel to carb.
      check spark the ignition is in the nose cone and is prone to failure from overheating.
      Had mine (also a 2000 883) crap out on me one day while in the middle of a 6 lane intersection, that was fun.

hope this helps some

Comment

• 7and7is
        • Dec 2012

Is it turning over but not starting? or is there nothing when you hit the start button? If the latter your kill switch could be in the "off" position.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
          • Apr 2020

If you have an aftermarket coil or single fire ignition you may have your spark plug wires hooked up backwards if you were messing with the coil or spark plugs any.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Gurlrider83
            I can Not get my 2000 sportster XL883H to start! I’m losing my mind over it. I put a new battery, starter, battery cables, and starter relay in it but I still get nothing please HELP!

^^^^^^^^^^^ That tells us NOTHING^^^^^^^^^^ WAY way more info is needed to help you..................

Comment

• 70fatster
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
              ^^^^^^^^^^^ That tells us NOTHING^^^^^^^^^^ WAY way more info is needed to help you..................
              If it won't start it must be the starter. Duh!

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

It wont start?? Does it turn over? Need more info as already stated.

If its a bone stock bike and turns over but there is no spark, Ill bet money its the ignition module gone bad

To check for spark, remove both spark plugs from the engine: Keep one spark plug connected into the spark plug boot, (doesnt matter if its the front or back plug). The other plug just remove the spark plug AND the spark plug cable from the coil).

Now take the spark plug thats still attached to the coil. Keep the spark plug base touching somewhere on the cylinder. (Near the spark plug hole on a fin is good enough).

Hold the spark plug boot with your fingers and while having a good view of the spark plug gap and keeping the spark plug grounded on the engine, turn over the bike like you are starting it and you should immediatley see spark at the gap (doing this in a darkened garage will help you see it) DONT keep your face near the open spark plug hole(s)

If no spark, you have narrowed down what the possible issue is

Let us know what you find: Others can benefit by your result...................

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 70fatster
                  If it won't start it must be the starter. Duh!
                  So that's why you don't answer many questions???????????

Comment

• 70fatster
                    • Jan 2013

What?

Comment

• Down
                      • Jan 2016

Calm down, he's not the guy who started the thread and he's clearly being sarcastic.

Whoever started the thread must've got the bike running and rode off a cliff. I love it when we get vague info and then the guy needing help disappears when we ask questions.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Down
                        Calm down, he's not the guy who started the thread and he's clearly being sarcastic.

Whoever started the thread must've got the bike running and rode off a cliff. I love it when we get vague info and then the guy needing help disappears when we ask questions.
                        I am calm as hell and I knew he didn't start the thread I'm not new to this as I know you know............... So you calm down...........

Yea I figured the new guy was gone a long time time ago.........

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

What?
                          What what???????? It was your post that quoted me not me quoting you............ We were trying to help the guy you weren't.............

Comment

• 70fatster
                            • Jan 2013

What what???????? It was your post that quoted me not me quoting you............ We were trying to help the guy you weren't.............
                            It could have been the starter. I don't know. No one else knew either. My answer was as good as any other given the question.
                            It was kind of sarcastic I guess, but you had already pointed out the lack of pertinent details so I was having a little fun while waiting.
                            Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

It could have been the starter. I don't know. No one else knew either. My answer was as good as any other given the question.
                              It was kind of sarcastic I guess, but you had already pointed out the lack of pertinent details so I was having a little fun while waiting.
                              Didn't mean to upset anyone.
                              If you hadn't quoted me I wouldn't have said a thing............. I did get what you were trying to covey, Hell I've done the exact same thing many many times. But it was like you were posting it towards me with the quote......

It's all good.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;