18" rear AMF ironhead wheel on EVO sporty?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rextec
    • Mar 2011

18" rear AMF ironhead wheel on EVO sporty?

Who here has done this and has insight on the swap? I'm pretty sure the axle size is the same (3/4") but what about the bolt pattern for the disc and pulley? Hub spacing? i like the look of the old 18" rear mags and would like to run one on my 2002 883R.

Thanks!
  • blaze123
    • Mar 2013

Sprocket fits. I have one already set up for a belt drive.

You will need to get/make axle spacers for it to fit your swingarm. I don't know about your brake, it may or may not fit.

Comment

• bobscogin
      • Jun 2011

This how I remember it: Ironhead disk brake models used a dished sprocket. Evo models went to a flat sprocket, so the hub flange offsets changed. As best I recall, the sprocket and disks patterns are the same. There's nothing I can recall that using spacers to correct alignment won't fix.

Bob

Comment

• Buellbomb
        • Dec 2011

I'm running one on my '98. The axle is the same size and the bolt holes are the same, getting the rotor and the sprocket/pulley lined up isn't hard either, as Bob said.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	1284217

Comment

• rextec
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Buellbomb
          I'm running one on my '98. The axle is the same size and the bolt holes are the same, getting the rotor and the sprocket/pulley lined up isn't hard either, as Bob said.[ATTACH=CONFIG]61830[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the input everyone! Did you have to get a dished sprocket for the ironhead wheel? made for an ironhead?

Comment

• Buellbomb
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by rextec
            Thanks for the input everyone! Did you have to get a dished sprocket for the ironhead wheel? made for an ironhead?
            I used a dished sprocket. The old wheel's hub iS narrower than a newer one so you need one to get the chain past the tire.

Comment

• Gadsdenguy
              • Feb 2014

Or you can use sprocket/pulley/rotor spacers to get the correct backspacing.
              I've done two of these conversions, on a '91 883 and a '96 1200S, and even though both 18" wheels had the same AMF PN40995-78 casting number, they both had different offsets. Go figure.
              On one wheel, I used a 5/16" spacer on the pulley, on the other, it took a 1/4" spacer on the flat sprocket and a 1/16" spacer on the rotor.
              Best thing to do is measure the offsets on your stock wheel, then get the proper spacers to bring the 18" up to par.

Comment

• rextec
                • Mar 2011

Alright thank you, seems pretty straight forward then. Good lookin bikes you got there!

Comment

• Skylar
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Gadsdenguy
                  Or you can use sprocket/pulley/rotor spacers to get the correct backspacing.
                  I've done two of these conversions, on a '91 883 and a '96 1200S, and even though both 18" wheels had the same AMF PN40995-78 casting number, they both had different offsets. Go figure.
                  On one wheel, I used a 5/16" spacer on the pulley, on the other, it took a 1/4" spacer on the flat sprocket and a 1/16" spacer on the rotor.
                  Best thing to do is measure the offsets on your stock wheel, then get the proper spacers to bring the 18" up to par.

Great info and fun looking bike my friend.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;