Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • habib
    • Mar 2013

Extending fork tubes?

Hi, I am running a 95 sportster with 11.5 inch rear shocks. If I just wanted to extend the fork tubes what would be the safest possible length I could run with out need to rake out the frame? Currenly my front end is a Hugger so the fork is about 30.5 inchs from end to end.

Thanks!
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

+2, 4 max

Comment

• habib
      • Mar 2013

Ok thank's. I was thinking 4 would be the tallest I would go. Some one mentioned the other day i could 6 if I dropped the back to 10.5. I was unsure about that.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by habib
        Ok thank's. I was thinking 4 would be the tallest I would go. Some one mentioned the other day i could 6 if I dropped the back to 10.5. I was unsure about that.

Dropping the rear will make it worst not better..... At least that's my opinion.... Someone else should chime in soon I would think......

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
          • Jan 2015

Here is my old '92 with +4 over stock length. I miss this one! I can't remember the exact length I ordered now but do yerself a favor, find the stock length for your bike and be clear about the length you are looking for in actual inches, not just 4 over, 2 over, etc. Also, the measurement is just the tubes, not the entire front like you measured at 30.5". A good "4 over" coming from a hugger will make a good change that you will definitely notice.

Comment

• jkings
            • May 2017

I am running 6over tubes with 13" rear shocks on my 2002 sporty and it handles just fine. I've seen guys on here running 8 and 10 over without any problems. Keep in mind that handling with get worse the longer you go in the front. I am very pleased with the handling with my 6overs!

Comment

• FatChibs
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BlackCloudSalvage
              Here is my old '92 with +4 over stock length. I miss this one! I can't remember the exact length I ordered now but do yerself a favor, find the stock length for your bike and be clear about the length you are looking for in actual inches, not just 4 over, 2 over, etc. Also, the measurement is just the tubes, not the entire front like you measured at 30.5". A good "4 over" coming from a hugger will make a good change that you will definitely notice.

I think I may go back to 4 over forks after seeing this.

Comment

• FatChibs
                • Feb 2014

I went from -

to

Comment

• habib
                  • Mar 2013

Thanks a lot! I was thinking lower rear shocks and taller front forks would also be weird. I think 4 inch over with my 11.5 inch in the back will be good.

Also good point about measuring the stock tubes. I know the hugger is 2 inches shorter than the standard. So most likely ordering 2 inch over tubes will get me the 4 inchs I am looking for.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by habib; 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• garystaven88
                    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by FatChibs
                    I went from -

to

I think your bike's stance looked so much better in the before... just my opinion.

Obviously totally different frame than EVO but my Ironhead with 4 overs and lowering shocks (13.5). Love the stance. If I were to go up to 6over or up I would want to install stock length shocks.

On Sportsters (EVO or Ironhead) I personally like 4 overs with a bit of lowering in the rear or 6over with stock length shocks. Anything over 6 over on a stock Sportster frame to me looks whacky but to each their own! If you like a certain style rock it man!
                    Last edited by garystaven88; 07-20-2017, 6:02 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

^^^^^ Damn nice looking Ironhead....^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• Dane
                        • Aug 2015

I've got 4 overs and 13" rear suspension on my 2014

A post shared by Dane Mehl (@danemehl) on

I've got 10 overs and 11" rear suspension on my 1997

A post shared by Dane Mehl (@danemehl) on

You have to ride them differently.

The '97 tracks really well, and I ride it one handed slow speed up to stop lights and it aint squirrely. It doesn't have a front brake so you just down shift and ride that rear brake lightly. I rip it through the mountains, drag pipes and pegs, doesn't have any issues. It WAS squirrely when I had the pullback risers reversed, because the pivot point was in front of the fork tubes. Rides dreamy now.

The '14 I can throw my weight around more in the turns to reduce my lean angle. It's more nimble. Definitely more aggressive on that bike. My twisties jammer. The 4 overs combined with the 13" suspension really level the bike out. I used to ride it with rabbits no problem, loved it.

Do what you want and you'll just learn to ride it the way it wants to be ridden.

Oh, narrow bars get tougher to use the longer your fork tubes, just fyi. I ran little shorty tbars at the time when I slapped on the 10 overs and it was sketchy. These bars are a nice width though and its perfect.
                        Last edited by Dane; 07-20-2017, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• xnewmanx
                          • Aug 2012

I have 8 over on a stock rake evo sporty:

Comment

• nickey
                            • Feb 2013

Yea just measure the tubes. My 6 overs are 31.5" long. Here's mine with 6 overs and 10.5 shocks.

Definitely not level. But ride what ya like man. Just like changing bars or seats, after a few miles you'll get used to how it handles.
                            Last edited by nickey; 07-22-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• RalphFonz
                              • Jun 2017

I have 6 over, its perfectly fine. go 2-4 if you want. just whatever look you desire

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;