Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huero
    • Mar 2011

I'm "new" to the area, just coming from SoCal and realized that there is a distinct difference to the intensity of events in NY, but the comradarie seems the same. In the past few months of being here I have met some kickass people who have been willing to give plenty of local info to this NY noob and get me on the road. I'm in Cornwall (up by West Point) if anyone is heading through the area or if you're looking for a turnaround point to drink a beer and head back to the City; definitely looking forward to meeting new heads at the GR this year, though.

I think the right coast definitely needs its "Douche LaRouche" "Sinners" "Deathtraps" etc to bond all these local events together and inspire those new kids who look to CA for "the cool guys"...

Comment

• Leiffireeater80
      • Jan 2010

Keeping in the NYC theme. I'm looking for a garage space for my bike. Greenpoint area. Let me know if you know of something.

Comment

• Detale
        • Jan 2012

I recently went for an outdoor public storage spot. I think it was like $40 a month if you paid for 6 months. It's big enough for 2 bikes in there.

Comment

• stumpy
          • Mar 2010

33ers

Originally posted by Huero
          I'm "new" to the area, just coming from SoCal and realized that there is a distinct difference to the intensity of events in NY, but the comradarie seems the same. In the past few months of being here I have met some kickass people who have been willing to give plenty of local info to this NY noob and get me on the road. I'm in Cornwall (up by West Point) if anyone is heading through the area or if you're looking for a turnaround point to drink a beer and head back to the City; definitely looking forward to meeting new heads at the GR this year, though.

I think the right coast definitely needs its "Douche LaRouche" "Sinners" "Deathtraps" etc to bond all these local events together and inspire those new kids who look to CA for "the cool guys"...
          Hey Huero the cool thing about where you are much like where I am in N.E.PA NY/NJ/Pa all run into each other and it is pretty decent riding and some good folks too. We could use a bit of that west coast comradarie 33ers are looking better and better!!

Comment

• MIKE47
            • Aug 2009

Upcoming event!!

May 20th. Ride to Skate at FDR skate park in Philidelphia.

Comment

• Detale
              • Jan 2012

Looks cool, I'll make it a point to make that one. I cant seem to find an address for FDR skate park though?

Comment

• Huero
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MIKE47
                Upcoming event!!

May 20th. Ride to Skate at FDR skate park in Philidelphia.
                Thanks Mike, I'm definitely putting in for some vacation time for this!

Comment

• MIKE47
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Detale
                  Looks cool, I'll make it a point to make that one. I cant seem to find an address for FDR skate park though?
                  FDR PARK. Franklin Delanoe Roosevelt Park. Right near the stadiums. The park is right under The Rt.95 overpass.

Comment

• Saucier
                    • Dec 2011

I'm there! Bummed I had to miss this last year.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                      • Aug 2009

I live in Manhattan and have for the past 17 years. (originally from Tucson, AZ.) Yes, actually IN Manhattan. Fuhgeddaboudit!

Sure NYC doesn't have the best road surfaces (some would argue that the roads are like riding on the surface of the moon), and you need to watch out for buses, taxis, bicycles, pedestrians etc. What results is riders adapt and build bikes that make sense here. Larry, for example built bikes with very tight forks so he could carve through the insanity.

I keep my bikes in a motorcycle only parking garage here in the Lower East Side. There are dozens of them all over the city now. PM me if you have trouble locating one....or buy a REALLY good lock and expect to pick your bike up after its been knocked over 100 times.

Like Bill said, Bar Matchless is a great place to start as far as hangouts. They do a bike night every monday and show the Motogp races on a huge screen.

As for riding, you can hop over the GWB and take the Palisades expressway up to Bear Mountain. The ride will take you an hour and a half (each way roughly) and you'll be in the mountains. Great if you're with a girl who doesn't want to be on the back of a bike all day. (..or you don't want to be on the back of your girl's bike all day. In all fairness, I actually know a few really cute girls who ride.) Coney Island is a short run down the Belt Pkwy and youll be riding along the water the whole way. Or take the Verrazano bridge to Staten Island and hit up Royal Crown Bakery. I shit you not the sandwiches rule!

There's also a crew of us (Vander, FIM, ShovelED, McFonz, myself, and a bunch of other ppl on the forum) who live in the area and put hundreds of miles on our bikes. Hell, the weather has been so nice this winter that none of us have really stopped riding this year. So, if you don't ride like a total douche and wanna come, just ask.

If you're interested in flat track racing, ride up to any of the local tracks outside the city and see what its all about.. Feeling brave? Then come dirt track racing with myself and the Sixth Specials crew. (as Mike 47 already mentioned). You can pick up a cheap Honda 125 for under a grand and learn the skills correctly. I have a thread called Flat Track 101 in the Greatest Hits section of this forum that can get you started. There are tracks al over New York and your life will be forever changed.
                      Last edited by GreaserMike; 02-28-2012, 1:50 PM.

Comment

• Huero
                        • Mar 2011

[QUOTE=GreaserMike;278252]
                        There's also a crew of us (Vander, FIM, ShovelED, McFonz, myself, and a bunch of other ppl on the forum) who live in the area and put hundreds of miles on our bikes. Hell, the weather has been so nice this winter that none of us have really stopped riding this year. So, if you don't ride like a total douche and wanna come, just ask.

QUOTE]

Hey Mike, I'm up by Bear Mountain so I'll take you up on any rides you guys go on...keep me posted if you guys head out and I'll see about meeting up. Definitely going to hit up Bar Matchless on my next ride in to the city.

Comment

• Detale
                          • Jan 2012

GreaserMike Thanks, very cool of you man. I will surely take you up on that in a few weeks when I get my XS together. I've been up to bear mountain a few times now and that is a nice ride for sure. At the top with all the bikes is the shit! Only issues I had there last summer was the motorcycle checkpoint on the palisades. Fucking Jersey highway patrol doesn't fuck around. STRAIGHT HARASSMENT!

Staten island is nice at night but you sometimes get the douche patrols out in groups wheeling and shit down victory blvd.

Whats the name of the garage you keep your bike in? Near me there are two of them 4 blocks away from each other. There's Machina and some new one I don't know the name of yet on 3rd ave. Didn't have the cash to store my bike there and as you mentioned the winter had been real kind this year. The public storage was really perfect.

Just wanted to gay it up a bit and say thanks for the posts here. It's real nice to see the city isn't full of scumbags for a change.

Comment

• Huero
                            • Mar 2011

Definitely has been good info put out here on this thread and looks like there's enough non-doucherie going on...is there a Community site dedicated to NYC 33rs? It might be a good way for commo or the old school phone calls work for me too, my 2 pesos.

Certainly looks like a run to Bear Mountain trip could be a good shake-down trip real soon, though

Comment

• Detale
                              • Jan 2012

That does sound like a plan. Maybe next month weather permitting?

Comment

• HRK123
                                • Mar 2012

Somehow I missed this thread. Whenever you guys are up around Bear Mountain post up. Shit I'm up for NYC rides too. I'm setting up a basic site for the couple of guys up here that ride together, maybe I should also start listing tri-state runs and locations for all of us here, so we all know what's going on at any given time.
                                Last edited by HRK123; 05-13-2012, 8:23 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;