Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpeak
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by xMPRx
    cool build! I like where this one is headed! I agree with ya on the wheels, not a huge fan. You going 21/16? Bikes this style I think look awesome with a 18” or 19” rear.
    Thanks! I'm going to go with a 21/18 setup like I had on my ironhead but this time rather than true knobbies, I'm going to run the shinko 705's for starters. Kinda has a flat track tire feel. Still textured and has character but not as vibrating as the knobs were on the chopper.

In fact... the rest of the wheels plan is to run an ironhead drum rear brake... cable (late 70s)... on the shovel. Already have it on the shelf in the garage ready to go. Will mod it for left side fitment to a reversed ironhead rear hub. This puts the the rear brake arm at the rear of the axle but facing down. Then the cable is lined up for BELOW the frame and axle block. But the crown jewel to that idea is that I plan on running the rear brake cable actually through the frame. I'm going to add a hardtail but modify a specific frame tube path that goes on an angle from the left rear to the right front where the I.D. is unobstructed straight shot path. That way the whole rear drive assembly is clean and simple. No juice master cylinder to mess with. No linkages. No crap. Best part, which I LOVE about drum brake rears, is that the right side of the wheel then is completely naked.

That's the plan anyway. Ha. We'll see what shakes out.

Comment

• bpeak
      • Nov 2012

Got some headway made.

First thing is a short clip from a few weeks ago when I started it for the first time. This was huge. This was the first time I ever kickstarted a Harley Davidson let alone a shovel. Dreaming of this moment for a long time.

20190406_First Start from Brandon Peak on Vimeo.

Was such a blast. My heart was racing like CRAZY. Was a good boost of confidence for sure.

Comment

• bpeak
        • Nov 2012

Since then, got the bars, risers, clamp and stuff all mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_195542.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	1310175

Name:	20190425_195613.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1310176

Comment

• bpeak
          • Nov 2012

Then finally took the bike out for a ride. Was a blast. Had some interesting findings... including the realization that the rear axle was not tightened and cotter pinned and came loose. Got juuuust a lil bit of wobble on the road. Haha. So aside from the bike trying to kill me during our first date, it was awesome.

Got it back in the garage and took the rear end apart. Found a number of other things on the bike that weren't a huge deal, but led me to decide to start taking the bike apart. It's chopper time. Rebuild begins now.

Name:	20190429_060317.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	1310177

Name:	20190429_060337.jpg
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	1310178

Comment

• brooklynbomber
            • Sep 2011

Are you keeping that DNA (or what looks like a DNA) springer? I know you're swapping the crazy wheels, but would look great with a OEM style or narrow chopper springer.

Comment

• bpeak
              • Nov 2012

Yes - the springer goes away. The only thing I'm keeping on the bike is the frame (will hardtail and maybe mess with the neck), engine, trans, and belt drive. Everything else goes. The new design will have a repop vintage OEM style HD chrome 2-over springer on it. With 18" apes.

Comment

• bpeak
                • Nov 2012

Question for everyone... I'm considering running a mag on this bike. Since it's already (and going to stay) kick only... was thinking of just going super simple and reduce as much as possible. So, magneto and the battery eliminator capacitor deal.

I know... I know... there are a MILLION wiring diagrams. I get it. But if you saw what I did on the ironhead in the planning stages of the wiring you'd know I am a bit of a geek when it comes to this part.

Problem is - I don't know much about mag wiring setups.

So --- if you could take a sec to check out the image below I'd appreciate it. I created this in CAD today very specifically with some ideas in mind as far as how I'd route the wiring through the frame too. So I really want to make sure I'm on the right track. Does it look about right?

Name:	20190429 - Wiring Diagram.JPG
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1310194

Comment

• bpeak
                  • Nov 2012

Ended up revising the wiring diagram again. More on that later. In the meantime... got some more tear-down done.

Name:	20190504_125805.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	1310358

Name:	20190504_125815.jpg
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	1310359

Starting to fire up the parts-sales-machine. Gotta get some cash to get this ball rolling.

Comment

• bpeak
                    • Nov 2012

New neck cups. Kinda dig em.

Name:	20190509_115122.jpg
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	1310500

Name:	20190509_115123.jpg
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	1310501

And as of last night... just got this bad boy in the mail. She's super purdy.

Name:	20190513_212806.jpg
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	1310502

I'm a huge fan of front ends. I think, even more than the motor or any other part of a motorcycle, that the front end - defines the personality of the bike and bike builder. I felt the same way with the narrow springer I put on the ironhead. That thing defined my style at that slice of time... in metal and chrome form... on that bike. This one, is going to be no different. This speaks volumes about me. Who I am. Where I'm at in my bike design stage-of-life-slash-maturity. And what I'm currently interested in. This front end sets the tone for everything else to come on this build. Some would say "oh it's just an OEM repop 2-over... big deal". But to me that's a major cop out. There's so much more to it than that. There is to me at least. I love this thing. It's beautiful. I guess that's all that really matters. I dunno. I'll get off my soap box now and get back to work.

Cheers fellas.

Comment

• thecarfarmer
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bpeak
                      New neck cups. Kinda dig em.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93795[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93796[/ATTACH]

And as of last night... just got this bad boy in the mail. She's super purdy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93797[/ATTACH]

I'm a huge fan of front ends. I think, even more than the motor or any other part of a motorcycle, that the front end - defines the personality of the bike and bike builder. I felt the same way with the narrow springer I put on the ironhead. That thing defined my style at that slice of time... in metal and chrome form... on that bike. This one, is going to be no different. This speaks volumes about me. Who I am. Where I'm at in my bike design stage-of-life-slash-maturity. And what I'm currently interested in. This front end sets the tone for everything else to come on this build. Some would say "oh it's just an OEM repop 2-over... big deal". But to me that's a major cop out. There's so much more to it than that. There is to me at least. I love this thing. It's beautiful. I guess that's all that really matters. I dunno. I'll get off my soap box now and get back to work.

Cheers fellas.
                      Yeah, I think I get what you mean. Sometimes one component - and it could be something a hell of a lot significant than the front end - really becomes a piece that somehow sets the tone for a project.

It just sets the tone.

I think one thing that sets some bikes apart from the crowd as far as being just "right" is the builder taking the time to let the bike tell him what it needs, as opposed to just using whatever is cheap/free/on sale at J&P...

Judging from your Sportster, I expect this bike is going to be really awesome, too.

Comment

• BurnoutNova
                        • Oct 2013

On the wiring... I prefer using circuit breakers rather than fuses. I wired up an ironhead sportster recently and the battery eliminator we used didn't seem to make any difference in the lights being super dim at idle. It did have a generator with a cycle electric regulator though, not an alternator like your shovel has

Comment

• bpeak
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by thecarfarmer
                          Judging from your Sportster, I expect this bike is going to be really awesome, too.
                          Thanks man. Big respect.

Comment

• Stix
                            • May 2016

Great work to date mate.
                            Can I ask who made the repop springer you have ?
                            Cheers

Comment

• bpeak
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Stix
                              Great work to date mate.
                              Can I ask who made the repop springer you have ?
                              Cheers
                              I purchased it off eBay from Americanclassicmotors. From what I can tell it's a "hardbody" brand? Not 100% positive I guess. But it's real nice. I'm very pleased.

Comment

• bpeak
                                • Nov 2012

Got the springer on. Looks amazing (in my opinion). Testing the reach and position a bit with the bars. This will change slightly when I install the hardtail which will drop the seat height a bit. All good. Still messing with the hardware for the risers. More on that later.

Name:	20190515_124738.jpg
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	1310574

Jockey shiftin'

Name:	20190515_124812.jpg
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	1310575

Then I got some goodies in the mail yesteday thanks to @chopperpartsforyou. Cool dude. Good supplier.
                                - 18" rear wheel for an ironhead drum
                                - Normal alien 2.2 gas tank
                                - Weld on hardtail (which will have the axle plates cut off and replaced later on)

So excited to get this roller set up.

Name:	20190516_193122.jpg
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	1310576

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;