Tried something with the tank yesterday and not super happy with the results but I figured I would show the process as that part was fun.
Raw tank has been getting rusty
I wanted to lay some black paint over the raw metal and I took some inspiration of some rad flaked tank designs so I laid out a basic concept after drawing a sketch.
The black tape was used as a guide for my final tape layout.
Started laying out some skinny lines on the left side panel
Here is the final layout.
Threw some red primer on first then started with the black.
This is where I went wrong I think. I may have put too many coats on, surprisingly. I wanted to make sure I had good coverage but the edges were pretty thick and when I was peeling the tape, some areas peeled up. I pulled the tape pretty quickly because I knew that could happen if I waited too long but it happened anyway.
Here's the final result, just ok in my opinion. I may try it again and now do as many layers and simplify it a little bit next time.
Makes me really want to use real paint and a proper spray gun, rattle can is easy but spotty results. Also, this looks a little too tribally for me too, I like the big panel of black with the contrast of the raw metal, so I may draw another design and have another go at it next weekend.