CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    billdozer

Default Whatya' know about riding in a pack?

A story about this will publish in the morning. Got any advice or tips? Put 'em here.

SUPERKNUCK

Pay attention!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

-Ride stagard (spelling?) all the time...maybe side by side on open rural roads

-Ride in a straight line through the twisties

-keep a minimum of a car length between you and the bike in front of you incase he's gotta swerve a pothole

- Ride the bike YOU'RE on, not the one in front of you (don't try to keep up, it'll cost ya)

-If you are the lead guy, make beleive you are dragging a rope behind you the length of your crew...don't do anything that will get your "Rope" fucked up; running yellow lights, switching lanes in trafficy spots, last minute moves than can cause the crew to"Jam up"

-if your the ass end, anticipate lane changes and make a clear path for everyone in front of you to move accordingly

-frequently check on the group; running problems,people not making a traffic light, outta gas, different riding speeds, shit/piss breaks

.........Maybe helpful, maybe not
    Last edited by kingdeadbeat; 12-03-2010 at 1:47 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

too much drama, see you there.......

cooter

know the pack your rideing in

Get Adobe Flash player

Like in the Boy Scouts ..... Be prepared ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cooter View Post
    know the pack your rideing in
    That's the best tip you're gonna get.

Get Adobe Flash player

with the guys i ride with, if theres a yellow light half way thru at least one guy stops and blocks traffic with his bike till every one is thru. ask the guys i rode with on the revenge run...

Get Adobe Flash player

I put on tons of rides here in San Diego and preparation is one my tools for riding in a pack. I also try to give others a heads up ahead of time as to where were going so its not a game of the blind leading the blind. I am constantly scanning my surroundings and reading the road ahead for the safest lane and ride as though were in a see of idiots.
    Know your route, know your group and your environment. Go as fast as your slowest guy. Look and give plenty of time for lane changes by using your hand and/or turn signals ahead of time to let the pack know of the change.
    If someone is inpatient and jumps out of the pack don't try to follow suit .... They will fall back in place when they realize the pack is one. If your in a group its all about patients. There is no need to be splitting lanes when you have a group unless the freeway is dead stopped or your running for the boarder thats in grid lock. Better to be late then not show up at all. Above all else each person should not ride over their own head.
    You can always know who your riding with but its your responsibility to be paying attention no matter where you fall in the pack and make it safe for the person in front and behind you.
    I have been group riding for the better part of 26 years. Its a huge responsibility riding in a pack but one of the most awesome experiences you can enjoy on 2 wheels. Think ahead be prepared just because you can do it doesn't mean everyone can.

Get Adobe Flash player

In all the years I've been riding in packs, the biggest causes of crashes, besides cages, have been lack of riding skill and improper or lack of maintenance, meaning low tires, bad brakes, etc.

I've ridden road captain, blocker, tail gunner and just plain ole participant. And I've seen folks go down more than once. Some easy, some fatal. When all's said and done, it usually boils down to what I stated above. Although most fatal crashes involve a fuck tard in a cage.

Nobody is perfect,and occasionally we lose concentration and screw up, that's life.
    The key is, what you do and how your bike performs when you get into that situation.

Great article and props for the original Roth article.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't use turn signals even if you have them (why would you?). Ride on the cutting edge, always side by side even in the twisties. Accelerate hard, brake late, and flip off cops.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default fast

80mph grip to grip peg to peg don't get dead.

Get Adobe Flash player

A lot of good advice on here, but motorlou has got it right: "I'll see you there"

Get Adobe Flash player

Default packs

Allexcellent tips,
    thats why we ride to be free.

Get Adobe Flash player

Everything I know has been covered but one. If you see a road hazard (debris/pothole) the guys I ride with will point to it, so the dudes behind'em are well informed.

BlueCollarMoto

Ride the fuck out ahead at 90mph, stop and have a smoke till everyone catches up, repeat every 40 or so.
    Bird Dog.
    Last edited by BlueCollarMoto; 12-03-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by deadman13 View Post
    with the guys i ride with, if theres a yellow light half way thru at least one guy stops and blocks traffic with his bike till every one is thru. ask the guys i rode with on the revenge run...
    I'll leave this to the funeral motorcade guys. Stopping in an intersection is like stopping in the middle of the freeway. One or two cars may see you or avoid you but there is always the chance one won't.

Rotten has it right when he said know your route and you're final destination. Most of my group riding experience is with my insane friend Joe, a guy on a ZX6 Kawi sportbike, and a guy an a Hyabusa. I know my limitations and I don't try and keep up to the point I'm going to crash.

BlueCollarMoto

One big one I didnt see covered is the sighn that John Law is ahead!
    Tap the top of your lid open palmed so the guys / gals behind you know to slow down!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rustrocket84 View Post
    I'll leave this to the funeral motorcade guys. Stopping in an intersection is like stopping in the middle of the freeway. One or two cars may see you or avoid you but there is always the chance one won't.

when i run block its not to stop traffic, its to hold it so the last few can get through during a yellow/red. if they dont see a wall of bikes riding in front of them they shouldnt be driving. but to each his own, and i only do that with guys who know how to handle riding like that

Get Adobe Flash player

Riding is war, war is hell...Lone Wolf

Share This