CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    billdozer

Default How To: BMX Grips on 1" Bars

Now, this may be the most basic of How-To's, but you might be surprised how many questions we get about this subject. This is especially true since we've got 7/8" Biltwell grips in stock, but no actual 1" set ups as of yet.

You can struggle and mash any old set of bicycle grips onto your bars and throttle (if you have an aftermarket throtle, not the built-in HD set up). BUT, there is a simpler way to do it, and I'll show you how.

IMG_8242

Get yourself a modern car or truck with a kick ass heater. Warm it up all the way. Set it to full heat, full fan in the 100% defrost mode. Throw your grips up on the dash where they get the full effect of the defroster. Drink a beer, and pull the old grips off and take your time about it. Maybe turn the grips once or twice on your dash, just like the hot dog roller at AM/PM and have another beer.

IMG_8240

Once the grips have been fully heated, give a little money shot of WD-40 in there and slide 'em right on to your throttle side, then one on the other side of the bars.

IMG_8232

Use your safety wire pliers to put at least two wraps on to keep them from slipping next time you ride in the rain. Be sure not to tighten the wire so hard that it cut through the grips. Clip the ends, and bend the remaining bits up into the grip so they won't poke your sensitive cock skinners. Let 'em sit up over night so the WD isn't slippery.

Wah-lah! Rubber grips meant for smaller bars on your outlaw Gnarly Davidson!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

rad! my boys and i run bmx grips as well. but the way we do it is throw some moisturizer in the grips,a bit on the bars and jam those bastards on. i know it sounds pretty fruity, but it actually works.

i'm gonna try the defroster idea next time round, thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Neat trick. I think if you used Windex instead of WD40 I'm sure you could forego the wire wraps.

Get Adobe Flash player

A quick shot of hair-spray works great for this too, not too much, and it'll dry super fast, and sticky. Just gotta be quick with it.

I've always used hair-spray, acts as a lubricant wen wet, but when it dries it's nice and dry

Get Adobe Flash player

You can also put them in a pot of water on the stove like you are boiling hotdogs. They get nice and soft like the defrost will make them and the water will make them slick enough to slide on the bars. When the water dries they are stuck. Then if you ever want to remove them you can use an air hose to create an air pocket to take them off.

Get Adobe Flash player

The WD should evaporate after a few days, no need to wire tie. you can also use the heat method and shaving cream - slippery on, dries rock hard.

Get Adobe Flash player

All ya need to do is blow compressed air into the grip as you slide it onto the bar. Stick the nozzle of the blowgun in between the grip and the bar. The air puffs up the grip and she slides right on..........or off if thats what your trying to do. If the bars are hollow you'll have to plug the other end.

Sean

Get Adobe Flash player

maybe im retarded, hows the throttle turn?, i have only had one set of grips, cheap plain black ones with plastic inside, you slide the grip over the inner sleeve, or is it someting else you have to get?

Get Adobe Flash player

Acetone works really well too. It evaporates almost immediately and no worries on slipping after just a few minutes!

Get Adobe Flash player

if you don't have an air gun use deoderant, it will dry a lot quicker than dw will.

Get Adobe Flash player

Think they'll stretch over 1 1-/8"??

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKtheJERK View Post
    A quick shot of hair-spray works great for this too, not too much, and it'll dry super fast, and sticky. Just gotta be quick with it.
    Yep, been using the Chola Aqua Net for years. I learned that trick from an old desert racer back in the 80's.

Share This