PDA

View Full Version : 530 chain ?

JaySco
09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I got a chain conversion for my Sporty project and the 120 links is too short. There is a cycle shop close that has a few brands at 130+ links but I don't know what a decent brand would be. Help.

Halwade
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I ran a $140 o-ring 530 chain on my first bike (a big twin) and a $39 530 non-o-ring chain on my third build (an 883 sportster). IMHO the o-ring chain wasn't 10% better than the cheap chain on bike #3. Coming from a moto background I cleaned my chain often, checked its tension after every ride, and lubed it with chain wax--not oil.

Cleaner, more dry and less prone to collecting dust and debris, IMO.

Moral of the story: let your budget be your guide.

BTW, I love DID chains, but the Taiwan chain maker KMC is no slouch, either.

JaySco
09-28-2009, 3:11 PM
Thanks. My local shop has a 140 link 530 chain without o-rings for $35. I think it was RK which I have seen enough to know they are a real company. But I have a question.....on the back it said it's for drag bikes up from 1000cc to 1500cc, but for street bikes it said 400-600cc. What gives? I'm not usually one to read stuff and pay attention, but I'd still be almost 1/3 over the max on cc's for this chain with my 883, should I keep looking? Isn't 530 chain 530 chain, or is there different strength 530 chain?

FlashMotorWorks
09-28-2009, 10:24 PM
that will be plenty strong for your bike....remember.....most 1000cc to 1500cc bikes that the chain company is testing for makes 100 plus hp. a 600 cc crotch rocket makes twice the power your 883 makes. your probly not even pushing 50 hp on that there hog of yours.

read for tensile strength. you will find its probly at or above 10,000 pounds before even the crappyest RK chain will break.

evilmother
10-28-2009, 2:12 PM
We are runnung 200+ HPdragbikes with 525īs, its somewhat of a scam what one get told.
a 530 creates lots of centrifugal due to high weight and that is lost power.
Mechanically a narrow chain can take more, if you think about it....

JaySco
10-28-2009, 6:45 PM
Thanks for the info all. And maybe next time I'll get a 525 (never even heard of that one), but yesterday I finally ordered a chain, a little more that I had to spend but the tensile strength is way more than the $40 non o-ring chains.

vin
10-29-2009, 7:08 AM
good info. just curious, how much did you extend your tail? mine is about 5" longer and i still cut off 6 or 7 links from my 120 link chain.

JaySco
10-29-2009, 5:42 PM
I have a 4" stretch here so I guess the evo is a couple inches longer than the ironhead frames. With my axle all the way forward it was about 3 links too short.

beezerglide
11-02-2009, 7:00 PM
We are runnung 200+ HPdragbikes with 525īs, its somewhat of a scam what one get told.
a 530 creates lots of centrifugal due to high weight and that is lost power.
Mechanically a narrow chain can take more, if you think about it....

it seems the previos owner of the bsa i'm building had a ton of chainslap with a 120 link 530. i've added a tensioner but i'm still a little cautious would a 525 or 520 work better? would it fit the sprockets correctly?

Grashopr
11-03-2009, 7:52 AM
The chain numbers first digit is it's pitch in 1/8" increments. The remaining digits are the width of the chain in 1/80th" increments. So a 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" inch (center of hole to center of hole... or .. center of sprocket tooth to center of sprocket tooth) ,and a width of 30/80ths or 3/8". A 520 is 1/4" wide a 525 is 25/80ths" wide.

Correspondingly, the sprocket has to be the same width as the space between the inner sideplates, so trying to put a 520 chain on a set of 530 sprockets wont work (at least not without tearing the hell out of everything). Trying to put a 530 chain on a set of 520 sprockets will work, but the chain will wander and eat the sprocket prematurely.

I run 520 sprockets on my racebike with a D.I.D. 520ERV3 gold "X-Ring" chain. On my streetbikes I run DID 525 O-Ring Chains and on our drag bikes, we run standard non-O-ring chains.

The 520 X-ring is rated for about 8000 lb strength, but we run the X-rings on our roadrace bikes because they retain the lubrication in the rollers longer and with less horsepower drain than the O-ring chains. Running an aluminum rear sprocket and the 520 chain (supposedly) drops up to 8lbs of centrifugal force from the rear wheel at 2500 RPM (of the rear wheel...it'd take some math to figure out the speed) and reduces rear wheel acceleration by 10-15% (because of the lighter chain, lighter sprocket, etc). The 520 X-rings, under race conditions last about 2 seasons before they are just stretched beyond

The 525's are ran on the street as they are cheaper than the 520's (my streetbikes come with 525 sprockets, so all I have to do is a chain swap when I swap the front sprocket for a -1), but with regular cleanings with WD-40, I can get a chain to last 15k-20k miles on the street.

On the drag bikes, we run the 530 standards first because without any O-rings or X-rings, Standard Chains draw less horsepower than the 'typical' chains, but they are noisy, messy and they dont last long. The rollers get eaten by the pins quickly and if you aren't watching it, chain slop can cost time at the tree and can cause problems with an electronic or air shifter.

Anyways, on streetbikes; pretty much ALL streetbikes, a 525 setup is pretty standard. 530 is nearly overkill unless you're running a monster-torque 120in+ and doing a lot of light-to-light stuff.

steveb1
11-04-2009, 6:56 AM
I have run RK & DID chains...both good product-
They both make the back wheel spin
I have run o-ring and grease sling chains -
they both make the back wheel spin

the oring is a clean running beast -
no need to lube it conventionally, the goo is inside the chain not outside

grease sling chains are messy, but cheap -
the goo sits outside the chain, waiting to attach itself to the underside of your chain guard or leg

O ring chains usually last me plenty long, grease slingers not as long

One is cheap, one is not - they both make the back wheel spin

YMMV, but not likely